Anxiety Disorders Anyone?

Options

Replies

• oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I just posted elsewhere about how I'm struggling today. I had a cup of full strength coffee since I was feeling sluggish, and now I'm a wreck. There is other stuff going on, and I should have known to be extra careful with my diet when I'm already worried about a few things.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had horrible anxiety for years. It's better now, but it still lingers in the background at times. It got so bad that I finally went to the doctor and had xanax prescribed to me. It made a huge difference in my quality of life. However, I knew that I couldn't take it forever and I used it as a tool while I worked toward healthier thinking. I had my last refill in January 2012 and never went back for more.

Here's what helped:

Exercise. Running has freed my mind. My anxiety is much more noticeable when I go several days without working out.

You have to convince yourself that you are the only one in control of your thoughts. You may not be able to change your chemistry or pinpoint an exact problem, but you do have the power to not let it affect you. For me, mediation helps and so does telling myself to STOP when I get anxiety that I can't pinpoint. It sounds silly but it really works! Any time I get that shaky anxious feeling for no reason, I will shout STOP in my head. Sometimes it comes back immediately. I will tell myself to STOP again. Then I will remind myself that I am making myself feel bad for no reason. I am in control of my mind. I want to feel good. I say those things to myself until the worst of it eases.

This is something else I do. In my mind, I will watch leaf fall from a tree and land in a gently flowing river. I will place my negative thoughts or feelings on the leaf and watch it float over a waterfall. You can visualize any scene that is calming to you. It distracts my mind from anxiety and gives me the power to remove those feelings from my mind.It takes some time, but it does work. I eventually trained my mind to quite literally stop the negativity and uneasiness.

Live with the questions. Accept them and thrive from them. There is so much unknown in the world and all we can do is go along for the ride. Remember that you aren't alone. Also remember that there are people just like you who have pulled through it and so can you.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Major anxiety since I was 8 years old here.

I would definitely get checked out by a professional. Xanax is a huge help for me, and I don't have to take it every day, just when I'm having a panic attack. As for non-chemical remedies, everyone says mediation, yoga, ect. but I find laughing is best for me. I always have some comedy shows queued up because the release of serotonin counteracts my anxiety. Best of luck.
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    Can't believe I forgot to mention exercise. It's a wonderful, all natural, free way to take the edge off.even if you just go for a walk or spend a few minutes on the treadmill, it helps
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Major anxiety since I was 8 years old here.

I would definitely get checked out by a professional. Xanax is a huge help for me, and I don't have to take it every day, just when I'm having a panic attack. As for non-chemical remedies, everyone says mediation, yoga, ect. but I find laughing is best for me. I always have some comedy shows queued up because the release of serotonin counteracts my anxiety. Best of luck.

100% with you on the comedy! Stupid films make me feel less stressed (American Pie, Legally Blonde etc) :laugh:
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    There are some changes you can make to your diet and lifestyle that may provide you some benefit.

Cut out as much caffeine, sugar, and processed foods as you are comfortable with.
    For example, if you have three cups of coffee a day, try to scale back to two, then one, and then see if you can ditch it for good.
    Go for green tea if you really need a boost in your mornings and can't imagine giving up coffee.
    Try calming herbal teas like chamomile, valerian, and kava to relax the nervous system.
    Try taking supplements - Magnesium, melatonin, valerian, 5htp+, etc.
    Magnesium and Melatonin can be found in abundance in a variety of whole foods like bananas, almonds, & green leafy veggies.
    Find a calming ritual that works for you - meditation, yoga, journaling, reading, going for a walk, taking a bath, etc.
    Aromatherapy using essential oils like lavender, sandalwood, and ylang-ylang.

As always, seeing a qualified expert in the matter is best - I've seen a number of Psychologists, Naturopaths, and Physicians over the last few years to tailor a program that works for me. It's a lot of daily upkeep, but it's totally worth it.

This is great advice. I come from a long line of over worried and stressed out women, all of whom have one auto immune disease or another which can be caused or triggered by stress or anxiety. I am the first in my family to be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder though and it's been a long road. I've had anxiety since I was about 5 but didn't actually have it diagnosed or deal with it until I was 20. I was on medication to treat it and depression but after a couple of years i weaned off and have found calming thoughts or activities to replace the meds work just as well for the most part. I'll have an occasional freak out maybe 1-2 times a year but other than that I've learned that meditating is helpful and do it anywhere i need to. Warm tea and books help me. Spending quiet time outdoors by myself and limiting time online, watching the news and participating in political discussions (lol!).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD but it's a lot better these days. what helped:

- therapy with someone who knows what they're doing. try to get someone who has experience treating the condition that you have, not just general experience with therapy etc. some, including PTSD, can be made worse by therapists if they don't know what they're doing. It's better to find someone who's trained and experienced in the condition that you have

- very strenuous exercise - this only relieves the symptoms of anxiety, not the cause, but it is really effective at that. In my experience it has to be really strenuous, e.g. weightlifting to failure or very intense cardio. Gentle exercise can help too, but not as much. Better than nothing though. I'll forego rest days for my mental health, if need be.

- good nutrition - the brain needs carbohydrate and fat, and the healthy ones. Lack of healthy fat can make all kinds of mental health problems worse. The brain needs a lot of fat to function. Low blood sugar can make anxiety a lot worse, and some people with anxiety disorders (myself included) experience worsening or reappearence of anxiety symptoms from low carb diets and intermittent fasting. Personally, I don't go there with that, I eat 4-7 smallish meals a day and always eat a decent meal after exercise. Also pay attention to getting enough micronutrients, as deficiencies in some can affect mental health. Fat soluble vitamins especially.

- get enough sunlight and vitamin D. vitamin D seems to have a role in mental health and deficiency can cause depression and anxiety. consider taking a supplement if you can't get enough sunlight for your skin to make adequate vitamin D. You can get some vitamin D from diet, it's in egg yolks, dairy fat and oily fish. get out of the house every day even if it's not for the vitamin D

I have PTSD also. This is all very good advice! I have found that, for me, it does not seem to go away entirely. I am accustomed to dealing with it and accepting that I have to cope with it. But, recently it ended up catching up with me in the form of health related issues from stress. So, I realized I do need to continue to manage it and be aware of it when it is triggered. I have a book: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook. There may be other books that are better or just as good, but this is the book that I have had and used for a very long time now and it has helped me (some parts of the book are not helpful to me, but I just don't read those parts). I often go back to it for reminders and exercises for reducing the stress. Meditation, deep breathing, relaxation exercises are helpful to me.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Depression, general anxiety disorder and panic attacks for me.

CBT and mindfulness exercises can really help with this. There's even a workbook called Mind Over Mood that you can use yourself at home while looking for a therapist, although I strongly suggest finding a good one.

Make a list of sensory things you find soothing. I don't remember the exact science of it, but feelings like touch/smell/etc don't go through the same part of your brain as thoughts do, so it doesn't get blocked off by panic the way that trying to think positive can. My list includes things like walking barefoot on grass (not so practical at this time of year, lol), the smell of my partner's hair product, and petting my cat. So when feeling anxious I try to experience one of these things, and they help to calm me. Having a stress ball or some playdough to squeeze can also help.

Exercise burns off my anxiety like nothing else, so long as I'm not too anxious to exercise, and the endorphins released by exercising helps me to avoid anxiety and depressed moods in the first place.

I avoid coffee, energy drinks, and don't drink more than a cup of tea or two a day. For me there is a direct correlation between how much caffeine I consume and how anxious I feel. An espresso once pushed me into a full-fledged panic attack, and I had been feeling perfectly fine all day up until then. This may be different for you, but since anxiety and other mental health problems can vary so much from person to person it's a good idea to track your moods and to see if there are any obvious triggers.

I am on two medications. One is a combo antidepressant/anti anxiety medication that I take every day, and it's mostly eliminated my low-grade causeless anxiety. The other is an at-need medication that I take when I have a panic attack, but I haven't needed it for six months now. Oddly enough, I find that having it around and knowing that I have that safety net if I panic really badly helps me to not panic as much, if that makes sense.

Good luck!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yeah, I agree with that about caffeine. I also do not respond well to caffeine.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Humans. I don't read them well and my own non-verbals scream AWKWARD, which tends to make people nervous, which just makes social situations worse, which makes me more awkward...you get the idea.

Simple solution: I avoid most people most of the time and I'm very happy this way. I am one of those people who is happiest when spending 20+ out of 24 alone. I love the peace and quiet. Although as anyone can see from my forum activity, I'm plenty social online.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Humans. I don't read them well and my own non-verbals scream AWKWARD, which tends to make people nervous, which just makes social situations worse, which makes me more awkward...you get the idea.

Simple solution: I avoid most people most of the time and I'm very happy this way. I am one of those people who is happiest when spending 20+ out of 24 alone. I love the peace and quiet. Although as anyone can see from my forum activity, I'm plenty social online.

Your post got me to thinking. For a long time, I thought something was wrong with me because I prefer to be alone. I would angst over it, as us anxious people tend to do. I'm young and I'm in college. I'm supposed to have tons of friends and enjoy large social gatherings, right? I ran through the exact thing you posted above. I'm weird and it weirds other people out. Not only that, but I really dont WANT to make friends. A wise friend put it this way: Why isn't it ok to just enjoy my solitude? Why do I feel like I have to live up to some perceived societal standard that I need a bunch of friends? He shared this with me. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/#
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Diet wont change a chemical imbalance in your brain. I get annoyed when people think it will. Yeah, less caffeine may lessen 'jitters and shaking' but it's not going to cure the problem. See a Dr., dont fear meds, don't take more than prescribed & you'll feel much better. Good luck, you'll do fine. <hugs>

I suffer from anxiety as well, and this is true.

Bottom line is that anxiety is chemical imbalance in the brain. I like being by myself in my room most of the time, and I play a lot of video games to decompress when I get home from class/work. I take a low dose of medication, but large groups and crowded places still freak me out. I still consume caffeine, I actually feel far worse if I don't, so that one is kind of a personal preference. Definitely go see a doctor, see about getting started on meds, and maybe try a therapist. We're here for you.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Your post got me to thinking. For a long time, I thought something was wrong with me because I prefer to be alone. I would angst over it, as us anxious people tend to do. I'm young and I'm in college. I'm supposed to have tons of friends and enjoy large social gatherings, right? I ran through the exact thing you posted above. I'm weird and it weirds other people out. Not only that, but I really dont WANT to make friends. A wise friend put it this way: Why isn't it ok to just enjoy my solitude? Why do I feel like I have to live up to some perceived societal standard that I need a bunch of friends? He shared this with me. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/#

Thanks for linking that article. It's so completely me. If I had just been left the hell alone when I wanted to be, I never would have developed anxiety (or a deep, implacable hatred) from being around people in the first place.
  • TheRealAutumnShiranui
    Options
    Diet wont change a chemical imbalance in your brain. I get annoyed when people think it will. Yeah, less caffeine may lessen 'jitters and shaking' but it's not going to cure the problem. See a Dr., dont fear meds, don't take more than prescribed & you'll feel much better. Good luck, you'll do fine. <hugs>
    LOVE this
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    LOVE this

Agreed. Diet, exercise, and behavioral changes may very well improve mild symptoms, but will not work for more severe cases. People were suggesting a nice walk and some meditation when I was pretty much suicidal, and I just wanted to scream at them. Sometimes professional help, up to and including mediacation, is needed. However, if someone has more mild symptoms and is reluctant to try medication, some lifestyle changes may be effective. I don't think anyone here is saying that severe anxiety will be magically cured by cutting out a little sugar, just that things like that may be helpful for milder cases.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    One thing I will say for being healthier, including getting regular exercise, is that it gives me more energy to deal with my social phobia. I am far more willing to expend some energy now being face to face social than I was when I had zero energy. Not to mention it helps that I feel more confident in my appearance. But no, of course it doesn't solve everything. If it did the gyms would be full and the mental hospitals would be empty.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand* mainly a health anxiety, my advise is this, see a doctor and get him/her to refer you to a cognitive behavioural therapist. Or read a self cbt book if you feel too anxious to open up to your doctor.

Absolutely this. Cognitive behavioural therapy is very, very helpful in working with anxiety, and can be easily learned. Personally, I do better with someone teaching me than from a book, I really liked having the feedback. It can be hard to get at first.

Meditation can also work. Look for some books by Jon Kabat Zinn, he uses meditation in a strictly medical way. Some hospitals also offer courses on meditation to deal with stress and anxiety.

Good luck. It's hard work, but you can do it.

And for people who prefer time by themselves, the book Quiet by Susan Cain will change your life. Seriously.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Some of the symptoms you describe sound a bit like Dysthymia to me.

Things that helped me:
    1. Meditation. tapes by Jon Kabat Zinn, one specifically addressing depression is great. can make you more aware of your feelings, more "objective".
    2. exercise- I do an hour a day.
    3. diet.
    4. being around positve people and getting away from other anxious/depressed people.
    5. therapy- very helpful.
    6. massage.
    7. medication. studies show that medication is best for more severe cases of depression. mild forms the above remedies are much better, and no side effects.
    8. sleep. this can be a vicious circle though. not enough sleep due to anxiety can make you feel more anxious.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You should have blood work done to have your vitamin levels (B, D, etc) tested as well as get your thyroid tested. Make sure they get a full workup before they try to force any pills down your throat. I had most of the symptoms you described and turns out I have PMDD. Severe PMS symptoms that occur 1-2 weeks before my menstrual cycle. After taking many types of medications that didn't work for long periods of time, I decided I had enough. I stopped all medication and have never felt better. Sure, I still have my bad moments but I work through them... exercise and diet have certainly helped. You need to try to figure out what your triggers are. I'm also thankful I found a phenomenal chiropractor that has me on supplements for my thyroid as well as a few other things that have certainly lessened my anxiety/depression symptoms. Good luck!!!
  • sarahmania
    sarahmania Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from anxiety and is currently off work with it. I would suggest you see a doctor now before it gets worse just in case.