anyone have a good option for soy sauce?

Options
13»

Replies

• THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've cut out all added salt. Most food doesn't need it anyway, so I don't worry about buying low sodium or salt substitutes (which are disgusting, btw. I will never make THAT mistake again.)

I use only traditionally brewed soy sauce. I don't use it all the time, just whenever I make a stir fry, and occasionally in my teriyaki recipe.

So cut all extra salt, and then use the full sodium soy sauce when you want it.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    Bragg Liquid Aminos

^^^^^ this!! so yummy !
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Reduce some lower sodium chicken/beef broth on the stove.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The spice sumac is lovely on rice. It's a lemony tangy flavour. Delicious. I found it on eBay, but can also get it from Asian shops. X
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I can't substitute soy sauce lol!
    But I like Trader Joes low sodium (60%less salt) soy sauce.

Also, I only buy unrefined salt, currently have RealSalt, only use unsalted butter, rarely use canned ingredients, or eat out.
    These kind of choices reduce my sodium a LOT! I avoid pizza (WHOA, the sodium!) The unrefined salt, IMO, acts completely differently in my body....I just HATE water retention.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I had no idea this would get so many replies. No high blood pressure Gilda.

No, the Bragg wouldn't help me but thank you:)

I will check out the Liquid Aminos, that sounds like an option. Thanks again, EVERYONE!! denise:)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm going to replace the soy sauce with seasonings including nutritional yeast. I love the yeast and it has a tiny bit of sodium in it. I changed my diary and it took off over 400 in sodium!

thanks again everyone, denise
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^^ Sounds interesting, haven't heard of nutirional yeast.

Just a warning about LoSalt (the potassium chloride replacement for sodium chloride): if you have a heart condition you shouldn't take this as high levels of potassium can disrupt the heart rhythm. Strange that it's advertised as heart healthy!
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are making the rice at home, you can make it with low sodium chicken brother instead of water for more flavor. I've never tried it with rice, but we cook our quinoa that way and its much better.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to substitute? We as people should train ourselves to like the taste of food not sauces. This just my opinion. I eat healthy. Some people call my food plain or boring but the truth is I have been training myself to enjoy the subtle flavours of real food.... Fruit and veggies, brown rice, and meat all have delicious flavours once you cut the crap and start tasting the real flavours you find them actually delicious. We programmed by the food industry to like artificial intense flavour. This is not real food!