Is everyone making Easter a "Free" or "Cheat" Day?

Options
Obviously we can't just blow it all today, but with the family gatherings, associated food and candy does anyone have a game plan? I'm trying to eat light all day today and ate a little under my allowance yesterday to prepare for the onslaught of food and goodies.

I'm cooking today so I can make some "light" dishes and I'm limiting the amount of food prepared so not so many leftovers. Any other thoughts? I know some people do the "cheat" day thing once a week or month, etc... Just wondering!

Thanks! And Happy Easter!

Replies

• StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I have a mini eggs easter egg, I'm going to open it but not eat it all, I've been quite succesful in limiting myself to things like that when I do have it (which isn't very often any more!) The rest of the day I'm eating as normal, I'm having a roast chicken dinner but will just have the same smaller portions as usual :smile:
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm planning on just doing the best I can. I'm not too tempted by my children's Easter candy but the dessert table will be calling me before I'm even done eating, lol. For right now the plan is to eat within my limits and if I splurge then I splurge, oh well. It is one day and I'm not going to beat myself up over one day of naughty eating. It isn't what you do once in a while, but what you do everyday that makes the difference.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not.

I'm going to spend a couple hours at the gym in the afternoon, and my wife is probably going to make home made pizza or something (she says she's got it covered). Whatever she makes will be tightly calorie controlled, so I'm not worried about it.

Deviled eggs are a staple of Easter dinner though so I'll either find an alternate recipe that is low calorie, or I'll forgo them all together.

Then again, I'll probably burn 1000 or so at the gym, so I'll have some wiggle room. :wink:

Luckily, I'm a little too old for Easter candy. :tongue:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    There is no chocolate in the house this year. We did our big dinner last night and I was on the elliptical for an hour to offset that. I can work out more today as well. Did I eat the best? No....but I did damage control with the gym
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm going to try to eat reasonably and keep my portions small but I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat something naughty. There's always next week to be good.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm not going anywhere. We have no family here and really, no friends that we would spend the day with, so I'm good. Although, I am going to allow myself 1 cadbury egg. Hey big spender!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys so far! I too love Deviled Eggs and my wife will make them with low-fat miracle whip (for that tangy zip!) and I'll limit my consumption of them. :-( I can limit my candy intake. I still have Nestle' dark chocolate eggs from last Easter! :bigsmile: So that will not be too much of a problem.

I guess if I go way over the top I can always go to Plant Fitness tonight. They are open till 7:00.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I do plan on eating and enjoying Easter Lunch with my family, but will watch portions. Luckily I've never been a big sweet eater, now breads, that's an entirely different story. My gym is closed today so it's going to be challenging to only eat 1550 calories.
    Happy Easter!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I am trying to eat as I normally would most of the day. Having a traditional Easter dinner with great friends and family tonight, but all are so supportive and demonstratively encouraging on my weight loss journey, that there will be NO pressure (except from myself) to eat everything in sight. I actually do better when eating with others at controlling myself than I do when I am alone, so this will work in my favor. AS it is suppose to be in the 80's here today, I am planning on an extended walk outside prior to my Easter meal. But for those looking forward to a "free" day, do so with gusto! Don't hesitate to enjoy your Easter celebration; just plan on getting back on track Monday morning!
  • angelface12004
    Options
    i ate some yesterday and am not feeling guilty at all, everyone has got to live, if we starve ourselves of a little thing then we we do eat it we will go crazy with it. It's all in moderation. Eat a little choc and don't feel guilty.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Welllll, I'm not sure. My plan is NO I will not go over my limit. But if I do, well then whatever.

I'm alone this Easter, husband out of town, kids grown up with kids of their own, so it won't be too hard.

I got my grand kids Easter baskets with NO candy! In their baskets there are some little garden tools, little planter boxes, little water sprayers, and some seeds. I think they will love planting flowers and vegetables! It's better than more candy and more useless toys.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are the only ones in town; as we are both watching our cals, I doubt there will be any big splurges. We may go on a long walk instead of our normal sunday-death-workout. How's that for splurging:)?
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My plan is to control what I eat. Yesterday I was over my calorie goal by 300 and that hasn't happen since I first started MFP. I am concious that I went over yesterday so I will make better choices today. I keep telling myself that there are going to be plenty of holidays, gatherings, etc. and I will have to practice control and not submit back to my old habits.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Not a cheat/free day but I'm not overly concerned today since I'm doing all the cooking. I'll even enjoy a piece of pie. No chocolates though. I had my fill of that earlier this week. I likely won't track calories today though. Haven't all week because I was sick and I told myself I'd start again on Monday.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    CHEAT DAY!! which for me means, extra carbs..ohhh yeaaaah! and a heavenly slice of Dairy Queens chocolate crunch drizzle cake..bring on those calories!! I'm salivating just thinking about it....my fitness competition is now behind me so I can participate in the land of normal food once again...i'll end up about 500calories over...i'm not working them off, not exercsing at all...sweet chocolately, bisquit-y bliss for me today..I had planned on a healthy dinner, and it will be. Roast turkey, no stuffing, green beans, squash and brown rice, the splurge is the bisquits and the cake. It will be worth every single disgustingly sweet bite.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just giving myself a 300 calorie bumper today. :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,587 Member
    Options
    I had some cheating last weekend when we celebrated our anniversary, so I am not doing any cheating or having a free day today.

Happy Easter, everyone!
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Well I was going to be very strict as I did so well yesterday and I wanted to have a clean weekend, but sadly I must admit. After my 4.5 mile run this morning I walked into the house to get water and walked by a chocolaty filled easter basket and I couldn't resist and I ate some candy.....peanut m&ms, reesiepeice eggs and a few easter malt balls and I do feel guilty. But I will move on and enjoy the rest of the day healthy!!!
  • lornainak
    lornainak Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well, for the first time in 16 years I will be alone this Easter Sunday but working. Hubby working 12 hours shifts. I'll take on Sunday mass at 530pm since I happen to be working till 3 pm. I don't plan on going to a brunch or be with friends or family. My 16 year old son left home to go live with his grandfather this past week at his request. (Just across town) Today will NOT be a cheat day for me, but I may go over my calorie intake give or take 100. I planned my breakfast, lunch and snack already on MFP and dinner I will breeze through. My day WILL end with a 5K and I will certainly like myself at the end of the day as I rest and wait for hubby to come home in the morning. Happy Easter to all and enjoy your day with family and friends. :smile:
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to cheat today at all -- but speaking of cheat days, decided I will cheat on my birthday,
    which is in three weeks. I already know where we are going out to dinner, so that will be my free
    day. It's a restaurant that serves you "family style" ... yikes. (but I'll be good and will log it all). :drinker:

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL. :flowerforyou:

~Tammy