Bariatric Surgery???

Options
I've been overweight for so many years now. I've had a couple friends who had the bariatric surgery with much success. It's so much safer than it was years ago. Yet there is almost always the usual risks and complications which are still very scary to me! I've been considering this for about 3 or 4 months now. I still can't make up my mind whether I want to go through with this! I like the idea of having quick results since I tend to get very frustrated and impatient with slow progress, hence I give up! One of my concerns about this is my love for sweets. I know this is something that is difficult to tolerate after this surgery which will give u the "dumping" syndrome........the sugar causes everything to move very quickly through your system causing explosive results! This could be very embarrassing if you aren't home close to a bathroom!
I really don't know what to do. I found my way here recently with hope I would try one more time to do it the old fashioned way....counting calories, carbs, etc. I'm already getting discouraged. I'm running out of time....I'm 64 years young!
Is there anyone out there who knows anyone who has had this surgery with success??

Replies

• bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No surgery needed. Lost 160+ pounds with exercise, and consistent calorie deficit. I did it, you can too!

Edit to add: nothing worth doing is easy! Even surgery is hard
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    No surgery needed. Lost 160+ pounds with exercise, and consistent calorie deficit. I did it, you can too!

Edit to add: nothing worth doing is easy! Even surgery is hard
    This and I think you deserve more than giving up before trying. Best wishes to you. Its your decision on which path you'll ultimately take.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true ('effortless weight loss') it probably is!

As for happy friends who've done this already... remember the story of the bear who lost his tail, worried about being laughed at and then cunningly persuaded all other bears to follow his example by saying that the loss was a joy?

Stay on here and give it a fair go. Look at the progress of others on mfp; there are some very surprised successes out there. I agree that nothing worth doing is easy
  • greenhelen
    greenhelen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Penny. Don't do it. i don't know anyone that has had the surgery but I've seen a lot on the television about surgeries gone wrong. I'm sure you are aware of the risks and at the end of the day it's your decision and you'll do whatever you want to do, but I'm with all the people who have left comments below. You don't need the surgery. Loosing weight is hard but surgery isn't a quick or easy fix. You'll still need to curb your food intake and you'll still need to retrain your brain to cut out those sweets.

Cutting out foods/sweet things that you like is hard I know but it's achieveable. Doing exercise is hard too but if you are finding exercise hard maybe you just haven't found the right exercise for you. An hours Aerobics always leaves me feeling tired and exhausted and unable to get up for work the following morning but 8 miles power walking, rain or shine, early mornings or late evenings in the cold fog, doesn't matter, it always leaves me wanting more, and bouncing with energy the following morning.

It's just about finding what works for you. Don't make it the surgery, you could live to regret it. Good luck, and if you want support on your weight loss journey, send me an invite, i'll support you. We can support each other. All the best. xx
  • Penny1328
    Penny1328 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Exercise certainly helps aid weight loss which is a big challenge to me due to my lower back problems (herniated and bulging disc) and my arthritis! (Hip and knee replacement) I basically must rely on diet. Recently been doing "Sit and be Fit" exercises. It's hard for me to get to a gym or I would get into water exercises in the pool!
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I know three people who have had the surgery and only one of the three actually looks good. All three of them lost a ton of weight, but two of them are so horribly malnourished that they lost most of their hair (and they are both women), and one of them lost several of her teeth! My friend who has had success and is healthy is extraordinarily diligent about what she eats now (which is actually sort of a head-scratcher because if she'd figured that out 10-years ago, she wouldn't have needed the surgery.)

What I will say from my observer's perspective, my friend who is healthy after the surgery not only sees her doctor regularly, but also consults with a nutritionist, and also sees a therapist. It's not a magic fix. It's a life long commitment.
  • greenhelen
    greenhelen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you familiar with Rosemary Conley? She has classes all over the country. In the class I go to she has a lady there who finds standing up to do the exercises difficult so she sits in a chair and does a lot of the exercises sitting down. There's always an alternative even if you can't get to a class somewhere. You have access to the internet. Why don't you check out RosemaryConley.tv

There is an exercise channel on there and there will be exercises that you can do at home just with a chair. One which I do at work is standing by a my chair, then lowering my bottom to a squat so my bottom is almost sitting but not sitting, then standing again then repeating.

I've not been able to do any exercise for about three weeks because of pain from arthritis in my neck. I've got cervical spondylosis and periodically I have an episode. I've been seeing my osteopath to help reduce muscle spasm which developed in an attempt to protect my neck, it's been agony. This week is the best week I've had since the beginning of the year so I just started back at the exercise last Saturday.

I love swimming, but I can only do breast stroke and thats not good for my neck so I can't do that at the moment. Oh, I've found youtube good for exercise videos too.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people who have had this surgery and have had success with it. However, after the surgery, they drastically changed their lifestyle habits. Both of these people are now super careful about what they eat and only eat very small portions of healthy food. Also, both of these people now exercise regularly.

So yes, the surgery can work, but hard work is still required. I would recommend trying counting calories, exercising regularly, and perhaps meeting with a nutritionist to see if doing things "the old fashioned way" will work for you first.
  • Penny1328
    Penny1328 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will definitely check out Rosemary Conley. I will remember the name Rosemary since its my moms name.....lol! Hope your neck feels better soon! ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There is a series you can watch on Youtube called My 600 pound life. I think it might be worth watching for anyone considering bariatric surgery because the camera crew follows these people for years and explores their issues and ups and downs. It really shows how it isn't 'an easy way out' or a 'quick fix' or a 'guaranteed fix'.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had the surgery, and every one of them appeared to age at least 10 years (sagging, wrinkled skin on the face and bad color - they definitely lost their "glow") and they each gained most of the weight back within a couple of years. I would never, ever consider this surgery. After having the surgery I don't think my father-in-law ever enjoyed a meal again for the rest of his life. I have a lot of weight to lose, and it is hard and slow (it has taken me six months to lose 50 pounds so far), but I would sure rather do it this way and enjoy life along the way.

BTW - I love chocolate and sweets. I have low blood sugar and sometimes I feel like I really need a little hit of sugar to get my energy up, and I still can and do eat "treats". Now I just make sure I can afford the calories.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 08. I was like you and had gone to the website, read all the messages and "learned it all". I am sadly not a success story. I lost only 50% of my excess weight and I was labeled a success by the surgeons who will remind you it is made to lose between 50-75%. I will tell you what I learned "after" the surgery.

Dumping doesn't happen to everyone. In fact alot of ppl don't dump. I did not.

Actually less than 2/3rds of the patients dump on sugars and sweets. I did not. Sadly because it is one of the things I hoped would cure.

You will lose weight fast without effort but you will look like a melted candle if you do not do some hard exer-sizing as soon as the doc says it is okay.

Your stomach stretches over time and within a couple of years ALOT of ppl can eat the same way they did before.

The part of your intestine is removed and stuffed out of the way has villi in it that grab onto the calories and absorb them into your body. With those cut away you don't abosorb calories. BUT in about a year or year and half those villi grow back and you will once again absorb ALL of your calories.

ALOT of ppl end up Lactose intolerant and cannot enjoy dairy anymore, and that is explosive..For the rest of your life.

ALOT of ppl end up with reactive Hypoglycemia, which you will have for the rest of your life and you will need to learn to control it.

You will still have to exercise and count calories the rest of your life just like on here.Your body will try to save you by adapting and making things normal again, so you will do it the mfp way after a couple of years. Whether you gain or not is up to the work you want to put in it.

YOu will have to take alot of vitamins, minerals, calcium and protien the rest of your life without stopping for awhile. I have to take 150,000 iu of Vitamin D a week just to have my levels on the low end of normal. 2000 mg of calcium a day. Just to name a few.

Medications are different. Pain meds only last 2 hours on me and I count down the time for 4 hours until I can take another one. Not all ppl have that but it is not unheard of either.

Do you get headaches, arthritis, Knee pain, backaches...No Asprins for you..Tylonol only and it don't work for crap

It is a quick fix but is it a permenant fix? The message boards are full of ppl who are getting another surgery because the first one didn't work like they dreamed. If I were you I would spend some time researching the reasons it doesn't work to see if you are going to realistically be okay with those.

It's very expensive and most insurances will only let you have one. If you have Medicaid or Medicare you have a limited amount of surgeons who will do it. You will be required to do regular follow ups so is there going to be a co pay you can afford monthly for a year?

If you do it, Your in for the ride of your life. You will jump out of bed and weigh yourself 10 times a day amazed at how much and fast you are losing with no effort.

There are also a whole host of problems that can happen to your body it happens to less ppl than not.

After about the first month, some ppl are sooner, you will fight hunger and cravings. They say the hunger is in your head so keep that in mind but it feels like real hunger. And the cravings, oh.

If you want details or have any questions PM me and I will answer anything I can.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think its something that you need to talk to your doctor about. The surgery will only work if you make considerable lifestyle changes as well. This will include new diet and exercise. The surgery itself is not a walk in the park. I have seen a few friends go through it. Its hard on the body.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think its something that you need to talk to your doctor about. The surgery will only work if you make considerable lifestyle changes as well. This will include new diet and exercise. The surgery itself is not a walk in the park. I have seen a few friends go through it. Its hard on the body.

It IS all about lifstyle change. My suggestion is to change the lifestyle first and see. Surgery should be the very last resort.
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know a bariatric surgeon, and she insists her patients receive counseling (nutritional and psychological) before she'll do the surgery. Some patients will initially be successful, but then they'll gain weight in the long run because the surgery didn't fix what was really wrong.

A friend did weight loss surgery, and went from 360 to 180 and back to 220. She wasn't comfortable at her lowest weight because people treated her differently. Granted she's healthier now than she was at 360, but the surgery wasn't the end all and be all of solutions.

I'm not saying don't do it -- but I'd see what sort of results you can get with healthy eating and a transition to a healthier lifestyle.

Oh--and as someone who has contracted a staph infection from surgery--I'd avoid surgery if possible. Why risk it *unless* you decide it's vital?
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There is so much to do just to prepare for such surgery, and the surgery is so risky. Just do the things (calorie reduction/tracking) you would need to do for the surgery anyway, but instead of surgery, keep on going w/ the reduced calories, and exercise as you can. I know three people who had the surgery. All three were successful. BUT two gained back. One of the two gained most back, and the other is now significantly heavier than he ever was in his life. In fact, I believe his life is in danger, though he would never tell me. The one who is still, uh, not overweight, is no longer "thin," but at least still at a healthy weight. She continues to go to support meetings now and again, and practices good eating and exercise habits. Point is, this is what she would have to be doing whether she ever had the surgery or not. In my opinion, if you do not HAVE TO have surgery, don't do it. This is true w/ any surgery. (BTW, I am such a hypocrite. I had lasik. Not necessary at all, but did it anyway. Luckily, very successful and no regrets. But this is a far cry from bariatric surgery.)
    Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. Also, don't rush. After all, you're only 64.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was on the journey to have the surgery, but found that by curbing what I ate I was successful. I decided that if I could be successful without it, then why put myself through the pain and risk of complications. You have to change how you eat with the surgery and if you eat wrong you will have the dumping syndrome or pain. If I over eat now I feel bad but then get back on track. So far I have been successful. It's hard work but then the good things in life always are. Good luck in whatever route you decide to do, but know that either way is not going to be easy.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My mother has had 2 surgeries. She had stomach stapling early on. After this surgery she vomited often. The acid in the bile was eating away at her esophagus so much that a different doctor told her that she would have to have gastric bypass to correct the problem or she would have esophageal cancer within 10 years. She had the second surgery to fix the problems with the first. She has always said that she wished that she had never had the first surgery. Yes, she lost weight because she couldn't keep anything down. She couldn't enjoy meals with her family, go out for dinner, etc. and always carried a "barf bucket" in the car with her. It is a toss-up. If you are healthy and heavy, I would give it all you have to lose weight on your own. These surgeries should really only be a last resort, not a quick fix.
  • donahm01
    donahm01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a surgical nurse who specialized in Laparoscopic bariatric procedures. Yes it is a quick fix. People must remember though that the weight can be put right back on unless persistent with exercise and watching there caloric intake. The pouch which is made can be stretched out in time if the person consistently eats to much. Unless you have somesevere co morbidities I suggest the good old fashioned way. It is not a magic bullet. there is a new by pass procedure called a sleeve procedure which is basically just reducing the size of your stomach (Gastrectomy). Remember after 2 yrs a lot of people gain the weight back because they go back to there old ways.
  • donahm01
    donahm01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    agreed 100%