Bariatric Surgery???

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My sister in law had the lap band surgery and the weight loss was drastic. But the more weight she lost, the older she looked. She didn't continue the nutritional support such as vitamins and supplements and she ended up in ICU with a 20% chance of making it. The doctor had to go in and remove the lap band and she is now back to her obese weight.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery in 2003. My weight at the time was 285 piunds. I was diabetic, had high blood pressure, my joints hurt constantly, and I suffered from major depression. Prior to the surgery, I had lost 100+ four different times. Post surgery, I lost 100 pounds during the first 100 days. It took me the next year to lose the rest...and I did lose the rest, down to 135. I kept it off for a long time, until i started having issues with a teenage daughter. ALso, I remarried, and my husband loves to feed me!!! Bariatric surgery does not mean a labotomy, and if you were an emotionsal eater in the past, you will have to constantly guard against that. I didn't let myself gain back all the way. When the scales hit 180, it was a wake-up call. I pulled out my old journals, my old pictures, and became inspired again. My current weight is 164. I am doing pretty good! I have no regrets for having the surgery (Roux-en-Y). It saved my life. If you have more questions, message me.
  • flyithi
    Options
    I would not suggest the surgury. I know 5 people who have had it and only one kept the weight off and she is always working to keep it that way. The others ate their way back to their old size or more. I have learned the behavior/habits are what has to change. If that isn't done, surgury is only a short term fix. Mostly everyone here is eating right and exercising. Weight loss that way might be slow but it stays off. It becomes a lifestyle change not a quick fix. Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's a tale of two people.

Me at age 27 I had my gallbladder removed and I freaked out started eating vegetarian and very-low-fat (10% calories or less from fat) Went from 263 pounds to 183 pounds before deciding I like meat to much to deprive myself and put most of it back.

At age 34 my wife and I went on South Beach, I went from 241 lbs to 163 lbs. I still follow a fair amount of southbeach: whole grains (mostly), leaner meats (usually) , whole fruit, not fruit juice etc.

At age 42 I put back all the weight to 241 lbs and now for the last time, I've taken it off. This time I'm not depriving myself of anything but I'm exercising and using proper portion control. I run and I love running and I hit the weights a couple times a week to retain my muscle and get in better shape for running and in general.

My wife got a lap band a couple of years ago and between the 20 pounds they made her lose beforehand and the weight after she's lost a little over 100 lbs. It took about 6 or 7 trips to the Dr to get fluid added to the band before it started really working and we've had to have it slightly unfilled because she's had AWFUL heartburn which can happen if you are overfilled.

The band doesn't rewire your disgestive system but it squashes your stomach to make a sort of smaller stomach. There are certain foods that if my wife eats she will start majorly salivating because the food has "stuck" and then it all slimes up. The oddest of all things is lettuce for sliming. Most other vegetables are fine but no salad anymore...

She's had to work as hard with the surgery as I have been the last year without the surgery. We are back on my wifes insurance since I switched to a contracting job and her insurance will not cover fills or anything to do with bariatriac surgery so we will be paying for fills out of pocket since she's decided to get another fill because the unfill didn't make the heartburn go away and if she's gonna have heartburn she might as well take benefit from the lapband.

It's a tool it's not a miracle cure but she couldn't lose any appreciable weight before the band so it did help where nothing else could.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    One last thing on this.....During the early days post surgery, I did lose my hair and looked like a cancer patient for while. But.....once I hit my goal weight, my hair came back. The surgery did not age me, I looked 30 years older at my higher weight. Surgery is an extrmely personal decision. I really don't think I could have lost the weight without it.....I didn't know how to eat or how to exercise, and the only way for me to learn was the hard way. I took my last Metformain tablet the night surgery, and the same goes wioth blood pressure meds. I ran my first 5 K 90 days after surgery. I followed my physicans instructions to a T.
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I honestly believe most people are obese because of emotional issues. I know I am . I don't believe the surgery would heal what is actually broken . Its important to work through the emotions that caused the weight . It is very possible to lose weight and keep it off with diet and exercise . The only situation where I think the surgery is a good idea is if it's medically needed. You can do it ! MFP is a great tool . Eat clean foods and stay within your calories goals .exercise at your own speed . If you can walk for 5 minutes . Walk those 5 minutes every day and before you know it you will be able to walk for 10 minutes . Feel free to add me as a friend . I have a lot to lose . I know I can do it and I know you can too ! :smile:
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    OP - this is such a personal decision and yours and yours only to make.

I made the decision 4 years ago to have the surgery - take a look at my pictures and time line.

It is the hardest thing I've ever done emotionally. After losing 80lbs at the time I was mad because I wasn't happy - I thought my obesity was the reason for all my unhappiness......boy was I WRONG! It's been a heck of a ride.

Looking back 4yrs and looking at where I am today I've come a LONG WAY!

I do NOT follow a bariatric diet what so ever! I am way to active to eat tiny tiny meals so I eat about 6 small meals a day and I'm eating about 1900 calories a day as I am working out hard and I am now in the building muscle/losing BF% mode and it's working.

I work in a Bariatric Clinic and there are way to many people having surgery that are not emotionally ready for the drastic life change. My best advice if you do decide to move forward with this is really love yourself enough to get down to the nitty gritty with a psychologist/Life Coach and discover what has stood in the way of you being successful in the past so that this time it's a win lifestyle. If you choose not to move forward with surgery my best advice is to get down to the nitty gritty and love yourself enough to see a Life Coach/Therapist or Psychologist to discover what has prevented you from a healthy life style in the past.

Best of luck hun, this is a big decision,
    Sal
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a personal decision. I, too, had investigated surgery, but when I discovered that the surgery rearranges my insides permanently and would have me on an extremely rigid and restrictive diet, I decided that I would change my diet on my own, save money, save the pain and suffering of a surgery and just do life. Oddly, I think the one thing that was the biggest deterrant was being told I would never be able to have something carbonated again. I love beer and still enjoy one on occasion (always within my caloric intake levels). I have had cheesecake, chocolate and pie, but always in small amounts and within my calorie levels. I am not sure all bariatric clinics do things like they do in my area, but sitting through the info session and going home to read more just cemented why this was not a good choice for me. Happy to say that I am down 33 pounds since that scary session with the support of MFP.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about this? You might not even be a candidate for surgery. I know I thought about it when I was at my heaviest and most desperate but I was not qualified.

From your first post, it kind of sounds to me like you want a quick fix, and there is no such thing. Go see your doctor first.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people who have had this surgery and have had success with it. However, after the surgery, they drastically changed their lifestyle habits. Both of these people are now super careful about what they eat and only eat very small portions of healthy food. Also, both of these people now exercise regularly.

So yes, the surgery can work, but hard work is still required. I would recommend trying counting calories, exercising regularly, and perhaps meeting with a nutritionist to see if doing things "the old fashioned way" will work for you first.

^^^THIS.

My husband had a gastric sleeve done almost two years ago and lost over 125 pounds, but he's VERY careful about getting his protein in and is active. He trail bikes, hikes, and does p90x, and he doesn't eat garbage. Speaking as a nurse who has worked with post op bariatric patients, if you get the surgery and don't change your lifestyle, you will have issues with abdominal adhesions (very painful), hair loss, poor muscle tone, dry, flaky skin, brittle nails, excess skin, fatigue, anemia, etc. A former co-worker (also a nurse) had the procedure done, and she now faces routine IV infusions of iron dextran due to anemia-because she lost some of the weight, but still eats the same crap she did before surgery and doesn't exercise. Surgery isn't an easy fix, it is a TOOL for morbidly obese people that MUST accompany a complete lifestyle change-the same changes you would make doing things the old fasioned way. I also met the criteria for the surgery at my highest weight, but I decided to give the old fashioned route a try first. I met with a trainer for two sessions just to point me in the right direction with exercise, ate healthy (no prepackaged, processed foods), and BOOM-dropped 40 pounds in over 4 months. BOTH routes are difficult but doable, but you have to commit to lifestyle changes either way
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for so many years now. I've had a couple friends who had the bariatric surgery with much success. It's so much safer than it was years ago. Yet there is almost always the usual risks and complications which are still very scary to me! I've been considering this for about 3 or 4 months now. I still can't make up my mind whether I want to go through with this! I like the idea of having quick results since I tend to get very frustrated and impatient with slow progress, hence I give up! One of my concerns about this is my love for sweets. I know this is something that is difficult to tolerate after this surgery which will give u the "dumping" syndrome........the sugar causes everything to move very quickly through your system causing explosive results! This could be very embarrassing if you aren't home close to a bathroom!
    I really don't know what to do. I found my way here recently with hope I would try one more time to do it the old fashioned way....counting calories, carbs, etc. I'm already getting discouraged. I'm running out of time....I'm 64 years young!
    Is there anyone out there who knows anyone who has had this surgery with success??

Consider this:

- No surgery is going to remove your "love of sweets". You have to fix that yourself.
    - No surgery is going to fix you getting frustrated or impatient with slow progress. You have to fix that yourself.

My parents both had a lap band installed, know why they lost so much weight? After the surgery they ate what they were supposed to, then their instincts kicked in and they'd snack, then the food would get "plugged up" and they'd go in the bathroom and vomit. It took months to figure out that snacking is bad, then they started trying to game the snacking... i.e. snack over several hours, and just little bits at a time. What they ended up doing was training themselves to work the new system they found themselves in, which isn't any different than "tricking" yourself to stop buying junk food at the store so there's none in the house when you want a snack. Same trick, the only difference is the forced results (incessant puking to purge all the crap you insisted you had to eat.)

Why do you allow yourself to fulfill your "love of sweets"? Mark down what you eat, stop buying sweet food at the store (get someone else to do your grocery shopping, make them a list and send 'em so you can't be impulsive and purchase chips/chocolate/cookies/whatever.) Do this for 1-2 weeks, get all the "hidden" foods out of your living space so you don't have them anymore and cut out the carbonated beverages in favor of water. If you don't lose 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks I'll be shocked.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for so many years now. I've had a couple friends who had the bariatric surgery with much success. It's so much safer than it was years ago. Yet there is almost always the usual risks and complications which are still very scary to me! I've been considering this for about 3 or 4 months now. I still can't make up my mind whether I want to go through with this! I like the idea of having quick results since I tend to get very frustrated and impatient with slow progress, hence I give up! One of my concerns about this is my love for sweets. I know this is something that is difficult to tolerate after this surgery which will give u the "dumping" syndrome........the sugar causes everything to move very quickly through your system causing explosive results! This could be very embarrassing if you aren't home close to a bathroom!
    I really don't know what to do. I found my way here recently with hope I would try one more time to do it the old fashioned way....counting calories, carbs, etc. I'm already getting discouraged. I'm running out of time....I'm 64 years young!
    Is there anyone out there who knows anyone who has had this surgery with success??
    Hi Penny! Me too^^^ all of above^^^ please go to my profile page & read. Also read my first Blog. I would love to be friends. Just ask & tell me a little more about yourself>
    Lori
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No surgery needed. Lost 160+ pounds with exercise, and consistent calorie deficit. I did it, you can too!

Edit to add: nothing worth doing is easy! Even surgery is hard
    That's so true! Just exercise and watch what you eat! You will do great! :)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.
    Eat healthy and exercise.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think its something that you need to talk to your doctor about. The surgery will only work if you make considerable lifestyle changes as well. This will include new diet and exercise. The surgery itself is not a walk in the park. I have seen a few friends go through it. Its hard on the body.

It IS all about lifstyle change. My suggestion is to change the lifestyle first and see. Surgery should be the very last resort.
    I do agree about talking with the doctor. But you make the choice for which surgery LB or Gastric. Please try this first wish I found this site 3 years ago!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Hi,
    My mother and my sister have both had the surgery, my mom was one of the first people in the country to have it back in 2001.
    She currently weighs about 145 lb and has managed very well since.

My sister, on the other hand, was not so lucky. She had some complications with her surgery which resulted in 8 months in the hospital on a feeding tube, and almost her entire intestines to be removed. It was very scary and painful for her and our whole family.

One thing I can say about your "sweet tooth" is that you will probably lose it with the surgery. From my experience (seeing my mom and sister) is that you do not crave sweets or carbs as much. My mom was addicted to ice cream (black cherry) and I don't think she has had more than a scoop or two since her surgery. It is a huge commitment though. I remember having to pull to the side of the road when we were kids because my mom would get sick from eating rice or other carbs.

It is a learning process, and not easy at all. You have to make huge lifestyle adjustments.

This is a decision you need to make with your physician.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric bypass in 2008. My first piece of advice is research your surgeon, well. What is their success rate, more importantly, have they lost any patients due to complications? My surgeon took a conservative approach. He doesn't remove as much intestine as some. The downside is that you won't end up a size 1 effortlessly. The upside is that I have no nutritional deficiencies.
    You have a honeymoon period for the first year or so, the weight will seem to melt off. Better get exercising to tone up all that flab. In some cases, age, and excessive flab, plastic surgery is required to remove excess skin. After your honeymoon period, get ready to start watching what you eat. It will all come back to diet and exercise.
    All went well until about 2 years ago, I was 100 lbs down and keeping it there. Then I had a very stressful period for about 10 months and in that short amount of time, put back on 60lbs. My own fault. So, here I am with MFP, working on the 60lbs I have put back on.
    The surgery is not a magic bullet. It is just a powerful tool. You will still need to do the work. Am I skinny? No. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Feel free to send me a message or friend me.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Come on people, how is having your gut cut open, and having your internal organs cut and stiched a more pleasant alternative than exercise???
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know of four people who have had the surgery and I wouldnt say any of them have been a success.

#1 My mother in law had a stomach stappling done years ago (I want to say at least 10-15 years ago) so I would hope things have changed since then! but she got down to her goal weight but had many complications like loss of hair, blood sugar crashing, the works. She ended up in the hospital and almost died from the complications. I cant say for 100% she was sticking with the diet so I cant blame the surgery its self.

#2 Girl I worked with had lap band done (4-5 years ago) and she was such an emotional eater :( She would binge eat then puke up the food, then eat some more. To no ones suprise she lost nothing. To this day she continues to struggle with the weight/emotional eating, Im not even sure she has the band anymore.

#3 I worked with a women who had surgery 3-4 years before I met her and she was down to her goal. She had some hair loss and she was tired a lot. But I dont believe she was following her diet at all, she would eat things from fast food etc, alot of processed crap. She had to have a full body lift after she reached her weight loss goal. She was the only one that I know of that has kept the weight off years after the surgery.

#4 Lady I currently work with had some type of bariatric surgery (I never asked) She was a little under 500lbs, she lost 300lbs and something happened that put her out of work for almost a year. Now shes back up to 375-400lbs and I see her munching down full bags of chips, cookies, and what not daily.

I guess my point is this: Everyone of the people I know who have had the surgury didnt make the changes in eating habits they knew they had to. With that being said I wish you the best of luck in what ever you decide to do :)
  • catmomof3
    Options
    I made the decision to have gastric bypass after a car accident and the back pain that resulted from it made it impossible to exercise. I put on an additional 20 lbs over my highest weight and was beginning to show signs of prediabetes.
    That was last October. I did my research and went to counseling. I have lost 65 pounds since the surgery and have had to completely adjust my eating habits. Before the surgery I could not stop eating too much. I was hungry all the time and needed that full feeling after meals and when I didn't I felt as if I was depriving myself and was really angry. I have done a lot of soul searching and found out that I was a stress eater. I was not always fat but started to put on weight because I was lacking self worth and was eating my way through my anger issues.
    To all those who do plain old exercise and diet and it works, great! I was one of you, until I couldn't work out like I used to. Surgery was a last resort for me and it's working and will continue to work because I am committed. I knew all of the rules before. I just couldn't follow them. The surgery is a tool for people who need an extra hand in following the rules. I'm not ashamed to say I needed it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is not an easy solution nor is it a cop-out. All weight loss requires calorie restriction and some exercise.

Also I do not look older from the surgery. Some people have flabby skin because they do not have enough collagen. They are the same people who have flabby skin after having children and can happen to any one who loses weight, not just people who have weight loss surgery.

To the original poster, it is a personal decision but it will not solve your underlying cravings. You still need to work on that. Do the research and make an educated decision that's right for you.