Has anyone tried Kale?

Options
13»

Replies

• Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love kale, always have. I usually lightly steam it and add some crumbled up turkey bacon.
  • bleucaldwell
    Options
    I made a Kale Salad from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook over the weekend. I hadn't tried kale in a long time because I remembered it being too bitter for my taste, but this was delicious:

http://www.steamykitchen.com/24357-kale-salad-with-cherries-and-pecan-recipe.html

It's made with black kale, which was labeled as Lacinato Kale at the Whole Foods I bought it from.
  • suzette52
    suzette52 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips! (bake with olive oil & sea salt)
  • slackey77
    slackey77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have started using kale in a lot of things, mainly salads. I keep a large container of baby spinach and a container of kale on hand and mix the two together for our salads. I also cook it in other dishes just as I would spinach..soups, stews, and of course juicing in with fruits and veggies. We have really gotten into eating more the of the dark leafy greens. I can't remember the last time I bought iceberg lettuce LOL
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    uck. furry lettuce. My friends love to roast up kale chips and pretend they are as good as nachos. since its so trendy, I've learned to like it in turkey meatloaf.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just made potato soup and added kale to it. I also like it sauteed with garlic. I am planning to try it in a green smoothie, but haven't tried it yet. I like it in salads or steamed. Kale chips are popular, too.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ways to get more iron in my diet and have recently discovered that dried parsley & thyme are great sources with is fab cuz I love to sprinkle those over my dinner anyway. Another one that keeps popping up on high iron lists is kale, has anyone tried it? Is it nice? How do I cook it and last but not least has anyone got any yummy recipes that incorporate kale?

i am also a kale newb and i came on here and asked the very same question and i found an amazing recipee from the MFP users:

1 teaspoon olive oil
    chopped almonds
    .5 cup diced red peppers
    2-3 cups of kale pulled from the stem
    apple cider vinegar
    and Parmesan cheese

add the olive oil to a low flame wait till it gets hot. then throw in the red peppers let that cook up for about 2 minutes then add in the chopped almonds and the kale. saute it around for awhile (like 2 minutes make sure the oil gets on all the kale) and then add a splash of apple cider vinegar. saute it around again for a minute. top with a sprinkle of some Parmesan cheese.

Its a 5 minute side dish and its Delicious. it pairs well with steak and with bbq chicken i've found :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Zuppa Toscana

Ingredients
    • 1 pound ground Italian sausage
    • 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
    • 1 large diced white onion
    • 3 pieces bacon, chopped
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced
    • 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 cup heavy cream
    • 1 of a bunch of kale
    Directions
    1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
    2. In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
    3. Add chicken broth to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
    4. Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
    5. Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve.

This sounds fantastic, but unless the recipe feeds 12 and you ate a 1/12 of it, I can't imagine logging this in for a meal.

Try sauteeing some sliced carrots and onions with a little salt and pepper and olive oil. Add chopped kale (stems cut out) and toss with a tongs until it wilts pretty well. Earthy kale, sweet carrots. Yum. You can also try looking for recipes online. I've had some great success as I'm cooking lots of kale this fall and winter with great results.

Good luck!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Kale is delicious. Cook it like you would any other leafy green vegetable.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I love making kale chips and put it in my smoothies. Love the different ideas though and will definitely try some of these!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    KALE CHIPS ARE GREAT, ...I BUY FRESH BABY KALE AT COSTCO FOR $5.00 VERY LARGE BAG, CUT THE STEMS OFF, LIGHTLY SPRAY WITH EVOo YOU CAN ADD LEMON OIL . GARLIC POWDER,ONION POWDER, RED PEPPER FLAKES BLACK PEPPER ETC AND THEN BAKE AT 350 FOR 20 MIN EVEN MY GRANDS LIKE THESE
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love Kale and collard greens! They're yummy. Spinach is very bland compared to these 2. You can buy kale by the bag now like spinach or lettuce. And the directions to cook it is on the bag. I simmer mine all day with a turkey neck.

omigosh that sounds to die for!! I LOVE collard greens!
    I have Kale in my greens (a powder supplement that I take) but all this looks amazing and oh so tasty, just may have to try it! Eventually I would like to get away from supplements (even tho mine are organic and working for me).
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I love Kale and collard greens! They're yummy. Spinach is very bland compared to these 2. You can buy kale by the bag now like spinach or lettuce. And the directions to cook it is on the bag. I simmer mine all day with a turkey neck.

Yummy! This when I feel like more elaborate cooking. Otherwise I'll just steam it with a bit of apple cider vinegar and spices.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I put it in soups and chilis. I also just steam it and put a little butter on it - I'll have that by itself or mixed with rice or quinoa.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Recently found Emeril's recipe for Braised Kale; it is MOST excellent! Copied & pasted below, and link at the bottom if you're interested:

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups thinly sliced onions
    1 teaspoon salt
    12 turns freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    8 cups (firmly packed) torn and stemmed kale pieces
    2 cups Basic Chicken Stock, recipe follows (NOTE: I think I used chicken broth instead; still good)
    Splash cider vinegar

Directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, and stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes; add a splash of cider vinegar in the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/braised-kale-recipe/index.html
  • lexielou29
    Options
    I love it, either just cooked in boiling water for a couple of minutes and served as a portion of veg with main meal or ripped into small chunks, sprayed with a little olive oil and some garlic granules and baked to form a healthy snack instead of crisp/chips