3 Day Military Diet.

Options
124»

Replies

• Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What I don't get are the foods chosen for this diet. WHY hot dogs? WHY Saltine crackers? Why not Ritz crackers or cold cut sandwiches? Why ice cream? Why is this diet comprised of such insanely arbitrarily chosen foods?

This is exactly what I was actually questioning!! ^^^^^
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What I don't get are the foods chosen for this diet. WHY hot dogs? WHY Saltine crackers? Why not Ritz crackers or cold cut sandwiches? Why ice cream? Why is this diet comprised of such insanely arbitrarily chosen foods?

This is exactly what I was actually questioning!! ^^^^^

Because if the foods weren't completely arbitrary, you wouldn't be able to claim that the magic of the diet lies in the interaction between these precise foods!

Y'all clearly don't know bunkus about snake oil schemes!
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    [...]Eat less. Move more. Good luck!!
    Wrong. Eating less is not helpful.
    Eating less is not helpful? I think you may have misunderstood - I didn't mean less "often" - I meant less calories.
    I didn't misunderstand.

I get you, OP. Everyone knows there's some sort of correlation between eating less and losing weight. BUT, what is it, and how do you make sure you're satisfied but not gaining weight - - or not starving yourself and hurting yourself.

"Eat less" is not helpful with those questions.

I don't have much to add about the military diet but if you'd like to chat about health and nutrition and what "eating the right amount" might be, I'm all about taking this thread in a positive direction!! :flowerforyou: :smile:

I actually have done all sorts of "low calorie" diets. But as I am extremely active, I have to eat A LOT for my body to be willing to stop holding on to fat. Unfortunately it took me months to figure that out, lol. I'm actually a very healthy eater and I exercise.

The point of this board was to figure out the science behind the so called "chemical balance" of the foods in the diet. Which I suppose I didn't make very clear.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I tried this, I broke up the meals and made it to where i could have snacks too...it worked, it sucked, I lost 8 lbs over the 3 days and gained back all of it and then some before the week was over even though I was only eating 1300 calories a day the other 4 days of that week. I was crabby, snarky, and hungry the last 2 days even with the added bonus of eating ice cream at night. Its a fast fix but not a long term solution...I'd rather eat sensibly and lose the weight the right way knowing it wont all come back at once.

Edited to say: when I started the 3 day diet I had already lost 15 lbs...when I was done with that first week I was back up to my starting weight and had to start all over again, it wasnt fun.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    [...]Eat less. Move more. Good luck!!
    Wrong. Eating less is not helpful.
    Eating less is not helpful? I think you may have misunderstood - I didn't mean less "often" - I meant less calories.
    I didn't misunderstand.

I get you, OP. Everyone knows there's some sort of correlation between eating less and losing weight. BUT, what is it, and how do you make sure you're satisfied but not gaining weight - - or not starving yourself and hurting yourself.

"Eat less" is not helpful with those questions.

I don't have much to add about the military diet but if you'd like to chat about health and nutrition and what "eating the right amount" might be, I'm all about taking this thread in a positive direction!! :flowerforyou: :smile:

I actually have done all sorts of "low calorie" diets. But as I am extremely active, I have to eat A LOT for my body to be willing to stop holding on to fat. Unfortunately it took me months to figure that out, lol. I'm actually a very healthy eater and I exercise.

The point of this board was to figure out the science behind the so called "chemical balance" of the foods in the diet. Which I suppose I didn't make very clear.

Honestly I didn't get that at all from your OP. although I did mention about the low carb/water drop thig in my first answer. I really did think that you were asking thoughts and experiences on the diet.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    All "diets" are stupid. Listen to your body. Do your own research with your own body to find what works for you. Stop trying to find the "easy" way -- the only way that will work for you is your way.

I wan't looking for an "easy way." I'm researching.

I don't know why I post topics on here, when everyone is so judgmental and harsh.

because we see the same crap over and over and over and over... and offer advice to the OP that most don't listen to.

Then some other folks come in just to be supportive of diet pills, or coffee up the butt, or any number of other stupid things just because this is supposed to be a "place of support."

Here: eat above your BMR, exercise, eat what you want as long as it is within your range. Post legit questions about nutrition or exercise. Stay off of pinterest, it's basically wikipedia. Anyone can pin anything without any supporting evidence. Keep it up for 6-8 weeks. If you aren't losing weight or getting stronger, something isn't right. Adjust, rinse, lather, repeat.

This isn't a bakery and most of us are tired of sugar coating the same response over and over again.

ETA: and for the research portion, concerning most things that have been seen in pinterest, Dr.Oz, the interwebs:
    OdecMEl.jpg
    they've already been covered.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

OH!!! LOL! Yeah, then, yeah. None. Arbitrary starvation. You are a good sport.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fairly safe assumption that anything titled "The *insert something here* Diet" is generally to be avoided. Unless maybe its the "Eat a reasonable amount of food, balanced for proper nutrition and macros, and then go exercise some Diet". That one might be reliable. But yeah, it's good to do the research and build something from as many reliable resources as possible. :)
  • schmandace
    Options
    If you research it a little more, it isn't a military diet at all, but a diet for overweight cardiac patients preparing to undergo heart surgery.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you research it a little more, it isn't a military diet at all, but a diet for overweight cardiac patients preparing to undergo heart surgery.

It is neither. It's was called the Birmingham hospital diet, the cardiac diet as well as the American Heart Association diet and claimed it was for that use however there is no evidence it has been used for that. Both have denied any connection with the diet.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/349452-the-birmingham-hospital-diet/
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Ah, why didn't you say? If it's endorsed by an Internet MD then I'm going to give it a go.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Lol what is the military part? Takes a ridiculous amount of discipline to stick to it?