What would you do with this body?

Options

Replies

• AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am on level 3 of 30DS, and granted I haven't had weight loss or inches change just yet, but I have noticed a big difference on the backs of my legs and my butt has definitely lifted (haha sorry TMI) So I'm sure if you continue with the Shred it will definitely help you in that area! Good luck with your goals and feel free to add!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You have a limited amount of energy you can drop/expend before the body starts limiting itself to fat loss etc. No point going crazy and risking lean body mass.

However you think what I say is broscience so carry on!

Yeah, and that's why the common recommendation is to limit your calorie deficit to about 500 calories a day. No point going crazy and risking lean body mass.

I still haven't seen any reason to not do cardio now and start later instead. Your reason is basically "cardio burns calories, and you don't need to burn calories now - you can burn calories later."

I'm going to take the word of the guy who is a professional trainer over the word of the guy who starts threads bragging about how he eats absolute garbage and thinks that's OK because he does cardio.

But that's just me, I leave everyone to make their own decision.

You do that. I'll take the word of medical science over some trainer. Go sit and think about how many thousands of "trainers" there are out there who have completely contradictory ideas.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd work on trying to "widen" your shoulders to try to attain a more hourglass look.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd work on trying to "widen" your shoulders to try to attain a more hourglass look.

IDEA Fitness member

I agree with this. Good shoulder caps on guys and girls can set off the entire balanced muscular look.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You do that. I'll take the word of medical science over some trainer. Go sit and think about how many thousands of "trainers" there are out there who have completely contradictory ideas.

Bro, does your scientist even lift?

You're being rude to the OP. Stop hijacking the girl's thread little fella.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Bro, does your scientist even lift?

You're being rude to the OP. Stop hijacking the girl's thread little fella.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that disagreeing with stupid advice contrary to the OP's goals was being rude to her.

OP, I sincerely apologize.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but I would ditch Jillian and her 30 ds and pick up some heavy weights.

^^ This

Jillian Michaels DVDs are excellent for overweight people, but since you're already slim, you're best bet for body recomp is lifting heavy.

^^^
    This.
    Since someone usually points it out but hasn't, Jillian did not get her body by doing those workouts alone. I strongly agree with posts like Dan's.
    I'm going to stay out of the drop cardio debate. But heavy lifting is definitely where you want to be for the goals you have in mind.

Thank you - good advice. I am enjoying bits of 30DS but would never have it as my sole exercise as I agree there is no way she looks like that just from doing 20 min a day, plus I find some bits easy, but it is good for my upper body as tbh I cant manage much more than what she is asking of me anyway at the mo and its giving me some structure on the days where I would otherwise be doing nothing.

I too am staying out of the cardio debate... there is no question of me dropping it, I am far too active as a person, cycle/walk/run to work most days and have 2 horses to ride.

I understand. Most of my goals are race related so totally dropping cardio for the most part is out although I would consider it at a different point in the year when the race schedule isn't so full.

I don't just meant the time she puts in, I am talking the type of workout. She didn't do just body weight or light weight squats. Those videos are great for dropping fat but since you have little to lose it may not be the best type of workout to achieve the look you want.

I didn't say it in my last post but you do look great regardless.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses BUT:

1. you look lovely already

2. if I were you I'd do Starting Strength as written, and get your numbers up to the following at a minimum : 1xBW squat, .75xBW bench, .5xBW press, 1.5xBW deadlift. Eat for weight gain to achieve this. That should get you through the novice period. If at that point you are bitten by the weightlifting bug, go up from there. If not, start lifting with less volume but keep your intensity high, and then start cutting, at that point if you want to cut, you add cardio.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I agree with this. Good shoulder caps on guys and girls can set off the entire balanced muscular look.

This too. But I love shoulders.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You already have a really good body!!! I suggest heavy lifting.... I am doing stronglifts 5x5 at the moment and i looooove it. I started lifting with the new rules of lifting for women, but i quit because it got complicated for me... But i have seen a lot of success stories from it! It also has a toooooon of good information in it.... But stick with the 30 day shred and then start lifting after!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I love when the only thing people will accept are links. Matt has years and years of experience at a very high level of the game training both himself and others, and you want him tov provide you with links for every utterance.

The OP, who looks great, does not need cardio at this time and everything else Matt said was sound advice. Please provide some links that say otherwise.

I love when people expect random strangers on the internet to take their word for something when they have zero evidence to back up their claims.

Please explain your thoughts. Why is it broscience my friend?

What evidence have you seen that convinced you of any of that?

The entire idea seems to be holding off on cardio because introducing cardio is a tool you want to use later to kick-start fat loss once you plateau. I have never seen any evidence that such a phenomenon exists.

There's no reason not to do some cardio. It's healthy. It helps push your caloric deficit in a healthy way. It's good for your VO2 max, which is good for your lifting.

I feel like since Matt has trained a lot of women especially he knows his stuff in regards to fat loss. Too often I see many guys on these forums who just shrug and say "eat less, move more" because sticking to a consistent calorie deficit always works for them. Too often us ladies are just SOL. Completely agree with Matt's little tricks of the trade to change things up and convince your body to drop the fat. And I don't think he's saying cardio is all bad, but the OP is already pretty slender so she doesn't NEED to do a lot of cardio. If she wants to keep horse riding or running or something she really enjoys, all he's suggesting is to take a cardio break. And if she doesn't enjoy the cardio (not everyone wants to do 30DS forever) he's just saying she really doesn't NEED to. Seems pretty reasonable.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You don't have much (if any) weight to lose. You need to drop some body fat. I had the same hip/thigh area as you before I started doing heavy squats, deadlifts, lunges, and stepups (among other stuff). I lost 95% of my cellulte and changed the shape of my body (reduced inches in hips and thighs) by lifting heavy and eating more. I weigh just a couple pounds more than I used to but fit better in my size 2 clothes.

For the record you look great, don't get me wrong. I just believe you would be happier if you would lift!!! JM Shred is fine for someone just starting out and needs to lose weight, but you don't.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I also agree with this. Nice rounded shoulders makes women look hot!
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ps a few results of my broscience:

yo170213v2.jpg

1010544x.jpg

Girl on right
    taraafter.jpg

2006to2012.jpg

Gross.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    hiya u have a very similiar shape to mine,quite exact actually, i did 30ds and it definatly toned me up, but i started nrolfw 6 weeks ago and ate at maintanace and thats what made me tone up and lose inches all over,also ive pretty uch no cellulite left:)
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You have a limited amount of energy you can drop/expend before the body starts limiting itself to fat loss etc. No point going crazy and risking lean body mass.

However you think what I say is broscience so carry on!

Yeah, and that's why the common recommendation is to limit your calorie deficit to about 500 calories a day. No point going crazy and risking lean body mass.

I still haven't seen any reason to not do cardio now and start later instead. Your reason is basically "cardio burns calories, and you don't need to burn calories now - you can burn calories later."

I'm going to take the word of the guy who is a professional trainer over the word of the guy who starts threads bragging about how he eats absolute garbage and thinks that's OK because he does cardio.

But that's just me, I leave everyone to make their own decision.

I don't know that guy from Adam, but let me tell you that as a fitness professional, I can attest to there being a lot of "professionals" who don't know what they're talking about, or have completely contradictory philosophies and information. Just because someone takes a job and works at a gym does not make them an expert. So, if you're looking for a trainer, do your research and get multiple professional opinions; don't take one person's word as gospel.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Run naked in the streets in revelry.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This too. But I love shoulders.

cosigning this. along with working on your shoulder work on your upper back. a lot of symmetry is an illusion where you build up one part to make the other part look bigger or smaller by comparison. wider shoulders and back would give you a fantastic hourglass figure.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    i'd steal your abs
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You mean - what WOULDN'T I do with that body?!

So many many wonderful things.

Starting with squats, and then...