Gym on your own or with someone?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I like having someone to lift with but my friends are all about abs and cardio. I know a ton of people at my gym but usually, unless I go with a best friend, plug in headphones and go to town.
  • TOMEKA18
    TOMEKA18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like both but I love working out with my fifteen pals.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My workouts are my "me time". I don't want company.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I'm in BEAST MODE.... It doesn't matter. alone, no distraction , I concentrate and don't stand around waisting time. But if I do go with my husband he does his own thing too, no time for texting or talking at all. Every minute counts.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I love my workout buddy. I stay on the machine so much longer if i get lost in talking
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like both. When I'm go with someone I don't want to let them down by not going so I force myself to go even when I'm sick. But then again I like going alone because I like having my me time and putting in my ear buds and getting to work instead of talking and slacking.
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just me and Pandora

This.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone or with my husband (he does his own thing but helps me with weights)
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I go by myself. Would love to have a gym buddy, but the couple that I have found have been extremely unreliable and so I always end up going by myself anyway... but I don't mind. I like going by myself :)
  • Whipppets
    Options
    I go to the gym with my wife, and we do the fitness classes, spin, pump and I even do zumba with her.. I figure
    if she can do weights and push ups with me, I will do zumba with her.
  • Bjninja
    Options
    I went to the gym alone for about seven months and saw great results. Then that cold Midwest winter hit and I wimped out hard-core, and bam, there went my progress. Now I go with a friend, and I've been going even in winter months (and even on days when it's -10F outside). I wouldn't call it inspiration or motivation so much as abject shame if I don't turn up. Works out pretty well though, shaming each other into coming!

When we get there, it's me-time though, as I am a crazy person who listens to dub-step to get in the mood. I love having a buddy that makes me go to the gym, but let's me work out on my own.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I prefer going alone because I get into this sort of "zone" and enjoy my workouts much more. If I go to a class or something similar I don't mind having a friend with me. Recently my mom joined the gym I go to and now she wants to come with me ALL THE TIME. You can imagine what that's like lol!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do not have any friends/fitness partners where we meet at the gym to work out, however I take fee-based small group training classes where I see and have become acquainted with several folks on the same class schedule as me.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    3 of my lifting days are on my own (although I never have problems finding a spotter for squats if I need one on the last set).

On Dead lift day, I have a buddy, otherwise known as my hubs. I need a cheerleader for deads.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    On my own. I've tried going with friends and family countless times and they always stop going.
    But before they bail they've tried getting me to stop going too.

"I don't feel like going today.. want to go to dinner?"
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I like to go on my own, headphones in, concentrating on my own workout.
    Plus on cardio machines I like to watch TV re-runs of Big Bang Theory :)
  • surfbabe
    Options
    I prefer to lift and do cardio on my own. It's my time. I don't want to talk to anyone or lose sight of why I'm at the gym. The only exception to this is group workouts/classes like yoga, kettleball, etc. Those days I do enjoy the camaraderie of a gf but that's because those are "fun" workouts.
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    On my own... someone always wants to TALK.

If I say two words to someone at the gym, I feel "chatty." The only time I go with someone to the gym is if I KNOW I'm going to try and max out and I need a spotter I can trust. Otherwise it's headphones and silence.
  • shellykzoo
    shellykzoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a private exerciser. Maybe when I become more fit I will want to exercise in front of people but because of a sore foot I can't do much more than walking at a 3.6 pace. I use my treadmill at home.