Gym on your own or with someone?

Options

Replies

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I hate going to a gym period. It doesn't work for me. Part of it is I am a germaphobe and using exercise equipment after others have sweated all over it, never appealed to me. We put a home gym in the basement. I would rather work out by myself. My husband just gets in my way if he is down there too, even though there is plenty of room for both of us.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym by myself but I've made friends there, which is a lovely addage to getting healthy :D
  • chatter27
    Options
    I mainly go on my own, but recently have been meeting up with a friend a couple times a week, I like that better because it motivates me a little more.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Depends...

1. what does she look like
    2. Can she outlift me...
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Just me and my music. Like others Im there to work hard and I like to focus on my routine. I keep to myself and push hard the whole workout.
    There are three guys at my gym who talk the whole way through. They move from one machine to the next as a group. They do a lot less than I do. Im on my third machine before they are through one and they leave earlier than I do.
    Each to their own though....at least they are at the gym.
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    Depends on who I am going with....I am the type of person that likes to go to the gym to WORK, not to talk.

I have one friend who constantly interupts me in the middle of a set by talking to me, asking questions, etc. That type of person I can't deal with.

My other friend will keep his head phones in the entire time, spot me, and push me...THAT is the person I like to go to the gym with.

If I am going alone, I really don't mind. I like the time to myself.

I couldn't have said this better myself.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I prefer alone and like a few have said it's your time to concentrate and do something good for yourself.

When I tried to workout with others there is that awkwardness if they can't go when you do and they ask you to reschedule as well etc. etc.

Support is great as long as it stays on track, this is your life your changing. :)
  • meliafairy
    meliafairy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I go together. We end up being there longer because we're having more fun. Plus, he is a great and non-judgemental motivator for me.

When I go alone, I get bored quickly and don't stay as long so I don't end up doing as much of a workout.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When our schedules allow, I go with my boyfriend. We don't really work out "together" or chat much though. We go, do our own thing, and leave together. It works well because sometimes one or the other doesn't feel like going but we end up going anyway to stay accountable. He's a teacher that works during the day and I work a lot of evenings though so we go alone a lot of the time too.

In the past I have hated it when a friend would want to be my workout buddy. Usually how it works is they want to suck up my motivation. They end up procrastinating or blowing me off and if I had any inkling of skipping the gym I end up doing so. It makes me so mad! My boyfriend has been the only person that's been a good workout partner.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like both. When I'm go with someone I don't want to let them down by not going so I force myself to go even when I'm sick. But then again I like going alone because I like having my me time and putting in my ear buds and getting to work instead of talking and slacking.

^^^^ This for me. I will start having a workout partner 2 times a week which is good but I also like going by myself. And eventually working with a trainer well I guess that counts as my workout instructor who will motivate me, correct me and make me work even harder.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Both.

I have the greatest workout buddy of all time, he's really good for me, he has a wealth of knowledge and constantly pushes me to do better, to learn new things, to be stronger, always try harder, always keep learning, to be a critic of myself even when there is no one else around. Whether we are working out side by side or on different sides of the mirror, it feels good to have someone on my wing, right there. Plus it's fun as hell. AND you have someone to look at when someone nearby is doing something ridiculous.

But, then I need time alone to practice all the new moves, to build confidence in them (more importantly, so I can feel my strength instead of my doubt), to push myself without outside help, to make myself stronger, to put into action the things Ive learned, to be self-disciplined and to prove my determination to myself, to concentrate on what I am becoming.

Then repeat. Level each other up and then go work on the foundation for the next level up.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I go with my husband and I love it. He pushes me harder than I would push myself and he's there to spot me. We both are there for the same reason so there's no standing around and chit chatting.

I used to go on my own where I worked (they had a fitness center) and couldn't lift as much because no one was there to spot me.
  • Heitor71
    Heitor71 Posts: 224
    Options
    I prefer being by myself at the gym. However, I would be very happy if my wife came too. This is something that cannot be done so, since it is neither here nor there, alone is best! ...for me
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I go by myself but like that I have a busy enough gym that I can see friends or just interact with other regulars while I'm there. Not enough to take time away from what I'm doing but enough that I feel like I'm not in a bubble. I recently gave a cheaper gym a try and just couldn't make the switch - not nearly enough people there.
  • michael7585
    Options
    Im looking for people who are wanting to talk about eating healthy foods, working out. staying in shape, etc. If you have any ideas, questions or just wanna chat. add me as a friend. I would be glad to hear anything about these subjects. I look forward to hearing from you!
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Maybe I just haven't gone with the right person, but I prefer to go to the gym alone. I always have. I tend to be more focused when I'm alone. When with someone else, I am worrying if they are finished, how fast they are running, how much they are lifting, and I'm not focusing on myself. But, I'm also the type of person who prefers shopping alone, and some people think I'm crazy for that :)

To each their own!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I usually lift with my wife unless one of the kids is sick or something, then we have to split the duties.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't mind doing both! But sometimes if I want to go hard I will go alone!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having a gym buddy, but I'm picky. I don't know anyone who wants to get to the gym as early as I do, every day, and then actually work hard. A lot of other moms in my neighborhood go to the same gym as me, and honestly I'm always kind of bummed when I run into them because then I have to stop and chat and they want to mosey along on the ellipticals and socialize instead of picking up the heavy things, and I'm like, hey, I'm on a schedule here, hup hup hup let's go. But mostly they go later in the day so we're all still friends.

But I think it would be nice to have a spotter, and someone who could watch my form, and be all motivational, and it would be fun to do those things too. I should probably try to make friends with the people who *are* at the gym at the same time as me, but I'm pretty freakin' awkward. I consider the fact that we do the friendly nod & "hey" - after MONTHS of seeing each other daily - a huge step forward in my social life.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do my lifting by myself. I get into the zone when I lift, and don't like to talk or socialize. I've been told I "lift angry".

Running or biking on the other hand, I prefer to do with other people. I started out running alone, and now prefer to run with a small group.