5'4/5'5 Thick girls

Options

Replies

• imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I always giggle when I see people called "thick", I think it's just in the UK that it means stupid?

I was just thinking the same thing! Ha ha :)

Big boned is worse lol
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and my goal is 145lbs. I haven't weighed less than 150lbs since junior high and that was a very long time ago! I will see how I feel and look when I reach my goal and decide then my next steps. My real goal is to continue to eat healthy.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", and the smallest I've ever been was 150 -- and I looked horrible (gaunt face, hip bones sticking out). I was recently told that the "ideal" weight chart says that women should weigh 100 lbs at 5', and add 5lbs for every inch after that. I'm sorry, but if I ever made it to 125lbs, I'd be dead.

i completely agree!
  • blancokitty
    blancokitty Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with you totally. I am the same as you and goal is to get to 140 lbs, any lower and I will look sick. I have curves nothing wrong with that.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being "thick"--I'm 5'4 and my goal weight is 170-175. At 167 I was able to wear 10-12 so if I can get into 12-14, I'm going to be happy.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm 5'4 and at 150 lbs I was a size 12-14. At 118, I'm a size 4 and don't look sick at all. I guess I was not blessed with curves, I naturally have the frame of a 13 year old boy.

Lifting heavy has given me the illusion of "curves" though, which is nice. I also eat 2000 calories so I'm definitely not "sick".
  • MissBButterfly
    Options
    I'm 5'4, and it says that I should weigh 128 or so. I put it as my weight goal, but I'm not too worried about that. I am just wanting to slim down, gain strength, and tone up. I will be going by how I feel, look, and how my clothes fit. I just want to be healthy. Every body is different, and I highly doubt that I will ever get to that 128 lbs. But if I can get what I want out of it, I could honestly give a crap less about how much I weigh. Muscle weighs more than fat, and my body type is more hippy anyway. I have had a daughter, and hormonal issues are my worst enemy when it comes to loosing weight. We are pre-dispositioned to hold on to the weight being female. Which sucks when trying to lose any. Do the best you can, and be happy with your body, curves and all. My mom is 4'10, and is a full figured gal. Not all petite women are skinny like rails, nor built to be. LOVE YOUR BODY!
  • cbuggy75
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm 5'4 and at 150 lbs I was a size 12-14. At 118, I'm a size 4 and don't look sick at all. I guess I was not blessed with curves, I naturally have the frame of a 13 year old boy.

Lifting heavy has given me the illusion of "curves" though, which is nice. I also eat 2000 calories so I'm definitely not "sick".

I think you have a great body, very natural looking :) Consider yourself very lucky girlfriend!
  • fit4life_7
    fit4life_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most have already said. You have to do what's best for you. Pay attention to how you look and your overall well-being. That shouldn't be dictated by numbers. We are all built different. While 130-150 is a recommendation, I am shooting for about 160.

You know you better than anyone else. :wink:
  • yeah_im_that_girl_
    Options
    Maybe try to go muscularly toned???? I don't really get that.. I'm 5'5" and have a rater small boning structure. I can't weigh 140 because I will still look overweight. Try toning though. it might give a nice look to your curves if that makes sense.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and right now weigh 160. I am comfortable in a size 10. I kind of feel the same way you do... I'd like to get to 150, hopefully down to 145. I think I'd look too skinny if I was any smaller than that. I am bigger up top though (DD), rather than in the hips. DD and a too skinny everywhere else looks kind of funny.

I started at 210 lbs., and lost most of that before I joined MFP. It is so weird, I went down 2 band sizes, but haven't lost a cup size at all. I guess they're not going anywhere!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No., I was 154 pounds" so called thick" which really means fat, and I'm only 5 feet tall, weighing 106-115 pounds my whole life then a 3-4 year span I got heavy, use to THINK I was cute, said the same thing you guys are saying, until I went to the doctor because one day I couldn't take it anymore. I had convinced myself I was fine at a size 8 and I was cute and ALL of that mess. Then the weight took its toll on my triglycerides and heart... I was only 34. Stats like a 65 year old . So you can convince yourself all you want, talking about sickly and what not, but truth be it, it's not the looks or whatever, it's your health. No such thing as thick, or big boned only fat. When my friend took a picture of me from behind ... Pshhhhh no. The one thing I do agree on is all body types are different , this is true, but small frames have no business carrying around and excess of 25 plus pounds, it's doing more damage than you realize.

There is a difference between 5 ft and 5'5. At 140 and 5'5 I have defined abs. I was just under 140 (I didn't have a scale to measure exactly) when I got on stage to compete in a bodybuilding competition, figure class - less than 20% body fat. Still a size 8 and not carrying excess weight.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I completely 100% understand. I'm 5'5" and just have that kind of body also, big hips, big butt, small waist. 150 is my goal also, because it looks good on me. I'll never be the "thin" friend, but I wouldn't mind being the "tone" friend. You're right, every body type is different and what weight looks good on one person and not another. I'd love to be 140 and tone, that's my ultimate goal, and I'm ok with that weight. lol..besides, my husband says he likes a little meat with his potato...bone thin skinny girls do nothing for him.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", and the smallest I've ever been was 150 -- and I looked horrible (gaunt face, hip bones sticking out). I was recently told that the "ideal" weight chart says that women should weigh 100 lbs at 5', and add 5lbs for every inch after that. I'm sorry, but if I ever made it to 125lbs, I'd be dead.

i completely agree!

Yeah for your height and age no. That's crazy.
  • RobinTristan
    RobinTristan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm 5'5" and weigh a little over 150. I would love to weigh 140 again. In my 20's I weighed 125 but I also worked out and ran like a maniac and barely ate anything. In my 30's I weighed around 135 which felt ideal. I felt healthy and strong - now at almost 50, and weighing a little over 150, I feel thick and chubby. I just want to feel strong and toned again. I think If I could even get down to 135 again, I'd probably look gaunt. 140 strong and toned is my goal.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    No., I was 154 pounds" so called thick" which really means fat, and I'm only 5 feet tall, weighing 106-115 pounds my whole life then a 3-4 year span I got heavy, use to THINK I was cute, said the same thing you guys are saying, until I went to the doctor because one day I couldn't take it anymore. I had convinced myself I was fine at a size 8 and I was cute and ALL of that mess. Then the weight took its toll on my triglycerides and heart... I was only 34. Stats like a 65 year old . So you can convince yourself all you want, talking about sickly and what not, but truth be it, it's not the looks or whatever, it's your health. No such thing as thick, or big boned only fat. When my friend took a picture of me from behind ... Pshhhhh no. The one thing I do agree on is all body types are different , this is true, but small frames have no business carrying around and excess of 25 plus pounds, it's doing more damage than you realize.
    I get what you're saying, and perhaps you were only directing this at certain people who responded to this thread... But at around 140 on my 5'5" body, I'm in the healthy range of BMI, weight, and body fat. PLUS I wear a size 4 and small tops. I would NOT look better if I lost more weight. I'll keep doing my resistance & HIIT training and keep reducing my BF%, but I don't intend to weigh any less than I currently am maintaining at. And I don't need to. I was considered pre-diabetic previously and was on meds for it. I've not been on them since November and my blood work looks great.
  • ealinn
    ealinn Posts: 38
    Options
    I am 5'5" and the lowest weight I ever hit was 135. Looking at pictures of me at that weight, I look like my younger sister does at 110 pounds -she has a much smaller frame than me, especially on top. I have wide hips, a big rib cage, wide shoulders and what my loving friends always told me were "football player legs" :) I take that as a compliment - strong and healthy is what I see when I look at a football player. When I get any lower than 135-140 pounds start looking sickly. I love being curvy and from what most of my male friends tell me, that is the look they prefer on a woman. Strong and healthy is my goal, not a size or a weight. Unfortunately every program seems to focus so much on the number on the scale... it is a useful tool, but I think measurements, body fat %, strength, endurance, blood pressure, cholesterol.. those are all much better measures of what is healthy. You look beautiful in your picture - not thick! Keep on keeping on and loving your curves!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I always giggle when I see people called "thick", I think it's just in the UK that it means stupid?

My thoughts exactly!!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 1/2 and according to the wrist/arm measurements I have a small body frame. I'm currently 142 pounds which is heavy for my frame but it doesn't look bad on me. Body fat measurements calculators put me at 24% body fat.... which I was at as well when I was 120 pounds 6 years ago. I feel like although I'm "small framed" my hips are very wideset... even when I was 108 pounds I was a size 5/6. I mean... really? Right now I'm a comfortable 10/11 at 142. I'd like to be around 130 I'm thinking and a size 7/8. It's tough though because of vanity sizing so sometimes measurement goals are better.

Starting Measurements (high weight of 177)
    Bust: 38
    Waist: 32
    Hips: 44
    Thighs: 26

Current Measurements: (CW: 142)
    Bust: 35
    Waist: 27
    Hips: 39 (widest part)
    Thighs: 23

Goal Measurements: (GW: ~130)
    Bust: 34 (I'd love to keep 35 but doubt it...)
    Waist: 25-26
    Hips: 37
    Thighs: 21.5-22
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 168 and a size 12. I carry weight fairly well, but even at 135 I'm a size 6. I have sturdy thighs and strong calf muscles. I look at some magazine's so called fitness section and see models posing for exercise shots and those girls have the stringy-ist looking legs! No calf muscles! I can't compete weight wise with someone who has little muscle. This girl has meat on her bones. . .just fat. . .wel, some fat, but I've got lots of muscle and it's heavy. So, my scale will likely NEVER dip to 125 without starving myself. . .which I flat out refuse to do. I love to eat so I work out hard.