Juicing/Cleanse Success Stories!

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different - I personally have found that sugar is a major problem for me as well as dairy. Even if I severely limit the amount of dairy I take in, I will not lose any weight - I cannot have any at all if I want to lose weight. But everyone is different and you have to learn what works for you and find other ways to get the nutrients you need. It's a process :)

. . . . . :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't a water-fast be the caloric deficit the OP was wanting to avoid? [...]

Thank you for this clarification. I'm certainly not silly enough to think that you won't lose weight if you do nothing but drink water. Hopefully (!!) we can all agree that doing something like that would be dangerous at best and deadly at worst. Probably not sustainable because as soon as you're done, you're going to want to eat everything you can get your hands on to repair your body.

I don't want any advocacy of "irresponsible" juice-fasting - - sort of like just drinking water, or only taking in a portion of your necessary macro/micro-nutrients via juice.
  • YankeeScrapperGirl
    Options
    I have had great success with cleanses but I you should ONLY do it under a doctor's care - I am skeptical about the safety of doing it on your own. Every year, I do a 30 day cleanse program with my chiropractor's office in a group and I lose at least 15 lbs each time. More importantly than the weight loss, it helps you identify which foods trigger weight gain and other symptoms in your body and how to stay away from them in the future. With no exercising, my starting weight was 245 lbs before my first cleanse and I am now at 208 three years later. Now that I have a handle on what foods to avoid, my cravings are nearly gone for those things and I can focus on exercising and really losing the next 50 lbs!
    [...]
    Everyone's body is different - I personally have found that sugar is a major problem for me as well as dairy. Even if I severely limit the amount of dairy I take in, I will not lose any weight - I cannot have any at all if I want to lose weight. But everyone is different and you have to learn what works for you and find other ways to get the nutrients you need. It's a process :)

Regarding everyone being different, I think that's true with with allergies and triggers, etc. I know, that for whatever reason, that if I drink diet soft drinks my appetite seems to increase. If I let myself get out of control I'll eat a lot more than I need to in a day. I know that if I did that habitually I'd probably really start packing on the pounds, LOL!

I'm curious about the Chiropractic cleanse, though, if we graphed your weight loss, how that line would look. It sounds like most people put some water weight back on after going off a cleanse so I assume it would go up again shortly after. Have you tracked and do you have sort of a little roller-coaster effect at the cleanse points? Do you track your calories consistently as well? Sorry for the delay in my questions but I had some things come up at work.
    I have not exactly tracked it (because the purpose was not to lose weight, but to get healthier and elimitane some medical problems) but I do know that I did not gain weight shortly thereafter - I even continued to lose a little. But after several months of slowly adding back all the foods I shouldn't be eating, I did gain around 5-6 lbs back each time, but never anything close to what I lost.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with cleanses but I you should ONLY do it under a doctor's care - I am skeptical about the safety of doing it on your own. Every year, I do a 30 day cleanse program with my chiropractor's office in a group and I lose at least 15 lbs each time. More importantly than the weight loss, it helps you identify which foods trigger weight gain and other symptoms in your body and how to stay away from them in the future. With no exercising, my starting weight was 245 lbs before my first cleanse and I am now at 208 three years later. Now that I have a handle on what foods to avoid, my cravings are nearly gone for those things and I can focus on exercising and really losing the next 50 lbs! Good Luck!

What foods trigger weight gain?

Any food will trigger weight gain if you eat too much of it.

^What she said. My heaviest was 245 and I just struggled to teach myself about eating better, portions...and working hard to stop binges. Doing that also helped me realize what foods were messing with my body and also triggering my migraines.
  • YankeeScrapperGirl
    Options
    I have had great success with cleanses but I you should ONLY do it under a doctor's care - I am skeptical about the safety of doing it on your own. Every year, I do a 30 day cleanse program with my chiropractor's office in a group and I lose at least 15 lbs each time. More importantly than the weight loss, it helps you identify which foods trigger weight gain and other symptoms in your body and how to stay away from them in the future. With no exercising, my starting weight was 245 lbs before my first cleanse and I am now at 208 three years later. Now that I have a handle on what foods to avoid, my cravings are nearly gone for those things and I can focus on exercising and really losing the next 50 lbs! Good Luck!

What foods trigger weight gain?

Any food will trigger weight gain if you eat too much of it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Juicing can be dangerous for people with blood sugar problems- it greatly increases the glycemic load of fruits and vegetables. It's like mainlining fructose.

There were a couple days I remember when I was really really busy and I unintentionally "juiced" - meaning I had a couple of those Naked and Odwalla juices. I ended up really shaky and setting off my migraines. It wasn't the juice because I've had days when I would forget to eat because I got busy and ended up the same way.

I'm just one of those peoples that can't juice or fast because I need food daily otherwise, I end up sick, light headed, or setting off my migraines which can last up to 2-3 days.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

mOKKTG0.gif

:heart:
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I have not exactly tracked it (because the purpose was not to lose weight, but to get healthier and elimitane some medical problems) but I do know that I did not gain weight shortly thereafter - I even continued to lose a little. But after several months of slowly adding back all the foods I shouldn't be eating, I did gain around 5-6 lbs back each time, but never anything close to what I lost.

I see; I wish I could have all the data :laugh: !! Interesting to hear about the elimination of foods right after the cleanse, and maybe some lost ground associated with letting your diet revert to pre-cleanse eating.

Was the change in diet right after the cleanse a part of the plan, or was that something that you sort of planned to do yourself, with the cleanse being the kicking-off point? If not weight did you track calories? Sorry again for so many questions.
    What she said. My heaviest was 245 and I just struggled to teach myself about eating better, poritons...and working hard to stop binges. Doing that also helped me realize what foods were messing with my body and also triggering my migraines.

Exactly! Like with diet coke for me. Also, really refined foods like donuts, crackers/chips. I swear I could eat a ton in a sitting and if I start even a little bit, I end up overeating and those are always trigger foods for me. I think it's more because of how much I eat though!
  • YankeeScrapperGirl
    Options

I see; I wish I could have all the data :laugh: !! Interesting to hear about the elimination of foods right after the cleanse, and maybe some lost ground associated with letting your diet revert to pre-cleanse eating.

Was the change in diet right after the cleanse a part of the plan, or was that something that you sort of planned to do yourself, with the cleanse being the kicking-off point? If not weight did you track calories? Sorry again for so many questions.
    What she said. My heaviest was 245 and I just struggled to teach myself about eating better, poritons...and working hard to stop binges. Doing that also helped me realize what foods were messing with my body and also triggering my migraines.

Exactly! Like with diet coke for me. Also, really refined foods like donuts, crackers/chips. I swear I could eat a ton in a sitting and if I start even a little bit, I end up overeating and those are always trigger foods for me. I think it's more because of how much I eat though!
    Don't worry about all the questions :) Feel free to friend me if you want more info - I could go on all day. Basically, the cleanse consists of eliminating all processed foods, caffiene, alcohol, sugar, dairy, wheat, etc. Pretty much you eat as much as you want, but it can only be fruits, veggies, lean organic meats and fish and some nuts (there are portion suggestions for each category to make sure you are eating a balanced diet) And the doctor gave us supplements to help get rid of the stored-up toxins that all the processed foods have left over the years. The refined sugars are a HUGE problem for me, too! But eliminating them comletely for 30 days at a time have helped me with binging and I find it easier to stop myself before I start now. I'm not perfect yet, and I doubt I ever will be - but I know I'm much healthier than I used to be!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Don't worry about all the questions :) Feel free to friend me if you want more info - I could go on all day. Basically, the cleanse consists of eliminating all processed foods, caffiene, alcohol, sugar, dairy, wheat, etc. Pretty much you eat as much as you want, but it can only be fruits, veggies, lean organic meats and fish and some nuts (there are portion suggestions for each category to make sure you are eating a balanced diet) And the doctor gave us supplements to help get rid of the stored-up toxins that all the processed foods have left over the years. The refined sugars are a HUGE problem for me, too! But eliminating them comletely for 30 days at a time have helped me with binging and I find it easier to stop myself before I start now. I'm not perfect yet, and I doubt I ever will be - but I know I'm much healthier than I used to be!

Fresh fruits, veggies, lean meat and fish sounds like a pretty great diet (like, diet in the sense of panda's diet is bamboo) actually; it's not even what I thought of as a "cleanse."

But I can see how after being on that, and being used to eating your fill, if you started incorporating some nutritionally void things with empty calories, it would be easy to start putting a little weight back on.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Can't stop laughing at this thread. displaynamE, I love you so damn hard. :love:
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Can't stop laughing at this thread. displaynamE, I love you so damn hard. :love:

I'm serious; ?
    However, I do love you back.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I'm serious; ?
    However, I do love you back.

Oh! My apologies. Carry on. I hope someone comes forward with a true success story soon, there MUST be some out there

a-serious-discussion.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Oh! My apologies. Carry on. I hope someone comes forward with a true success story soon, there MUST be some out there

There have been several, sort of! I'm not ready to compile a thesis out of the thread just yet but this has, preliminarily, established to my satisfaction that there are positive results that people have obtained through cleansing/juice fasting.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg
  • sunshine20104
    Options
    There's a documentary called "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead".
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    There's a documentary called "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead".

That is a true statement. ("bump.")
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Does it count a doctor once told my husband to stop juicing because he didn't need to be "that" big?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Dang, another NON steroid thread!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I shower daily, wear clean underwear, and drink juice once or twice a week, often more.

I have lost weight permanently by eating well and exercising, and most importantly, learning good sustainable habits.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!