Your body's thoughts on calories

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    GREAT INFO BANKS:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    As always!! How is that 30 degree weather. 75 here today.:laugh:

You're evil. Actually it's not bad today, about 45 or so and sunny. Atleast I can throw a baseball today.

Excuse me, but I am the evil one. Banks, thanks for having the energy and patience for putting all this into words - again.

Will it work? :devil:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    GREAT INFO BANKS:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    As always!! How is that 30 degree weather. 75 here today.:laugh:

You're evil. Actually it's not bad today, about 45 or so and sunny. Atleast I can throw a baseball today.

Excuse me, but I am the evil one. Banks, thanks for having the energy and patience for putting all this into words - again.

Will it work? :devil:

lol, doubt it. :ohwell:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am posting this site because I am confused, they say less than 50% of your bmr is starvation mode, but you are saying not to eat any less than your bmr??? I am confused and dont want to go the wrong way and end up losing none or gaining, ideas???:ohwell:

http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/28742.html
  • banks1850
    Options
    I am posting this site because I am confused, they say less than 50% of your bmr is starvation mode, but you are saying not to eat any less than your bmr??? I am confused and dont want to go the wrong way and end up losing none or gaining, ideas???:ohwell:

http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/28742.html

king, while I'm not a dietician, I did check out your link, I don't know who that person is or where she got those numbers, but they are lower then any I have ever seen. My doctor said that starvation mode is an individual thing based on a person's body chemistry, BMI, genetic makup and a whole host of other factors. So for her to put an absolute number on it I would want to check with the "expert" she got it from. Personally, after reading her post, I believe she just misread the answer. the quote was

A starvation diet does not mean the absence of food. It means cutting the total caloric intake to less than 50% of what the body requires.

I believe maybe she meant 50% of your maintenance calories (which is one interpretation of "what your body requires"), which would make much more sense to me. I think she confused maintenance with BMR, but since I queried that site and couldn't find that specific answer, I couldn't confirm.

OOh... I kept digging (this is 10 minutes later). I found it. Yeah, she misread. The quote was talking about a Starvation DIET. Which is a completely different thing then starvation mode. A starvation diet is something doctors use on morbidly obese people (a bmi in the high 30s or above) and is done under close supervision because the patient is at risk of immenant death. The diet cuts calories to 1/2 your bmi. This is acceptable ONLY because of the extremely high volumes of fat available to the person using it, and when the fat levels drop to a sufficient amount they are alotted more calories.

Whew, glad that got cleared up, I thought I was losing my mind for a minute. :noway:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Banks, you just keep on being the calorie cop.

I :heart: it.

I have learned sssooooo much!

:flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :wink:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Dear Banks,

You have at once made me feel both better and worse. Better, because of the extreme frustration I'm having at shifting the last 20 pounds or so, and worse, because I know it'll continue to be a difficulty and may not actually happen by the time I want it to happen (need it to happen, actually, because the weight I'm at now on my poor little toes is more than they can bear, even with the added strength of the past 8 or so months).

I am both reassured (that I'm not REALLY so far wrong) and unsure of how to get that last 20 to go...

Thank you, for the reassurance (e.g. I'm not actually going mad, having gone down 3 dress sizes since July but the weight isn't going down as fast as the size is). :ohwell:

S.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Dear Banks,

You have at once made me feel both better and worse. Better, because of the extreme frustration I'm having at shifting the last 20 pounds or so, and worse, because I know it'll continue to be a difficulty and may not actually happen by the time I want it to happen (need it to happen, actually, because the weight I'm at now on my poor little toes is more than they can bear, even with the added strength of the past 8 or so months).

I am both reassured (that I'm not REALLY so far wrong) and unsure of how to get that last 20 to go...

Thank you, for the reassurance (e.g. I'm not actually going mad, having gone down 3 dress sizes since July but the weight isn't going down as fast as the size is). :ohwell:

S.

Well....I'm happy and sad for you. :tongue:

You'll get there, don't worry. Just remember it's a lot better to look good and feel great then to lose weight an nobody notice!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    bump
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    What a great thread, I've never seen it before! :blushing: OOPS! Oh except oddly I see I have previously bumped it. WOW, how could I have forgotten such a great thread written so clearly?

Well here it is bumped again for all to read :flowerforyou:
    FC:heart:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    117643624022436.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just a little BUMP in the seat to start your monday.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Bumping this invaluable info :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok so Banks is making me think my cals again!!

Thanks again for taking the time to post info for all!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • SuzieB
    Options
    BUMP and more info I just read on www.bmi-calculator.net.

Makes me feel better about those days I go over my calories by a bit!!

*** "the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low." ***
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I FORGOT about this one. I wish I had a list, sometimes I just plain forget. I wrote so much, when did I have time to work a 50 hour week last year? LOL! :huh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :yawn: bump
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Great information banks.

Maybe we should ask Mike to create something where we can bookmark our favorite threads so we don't forget about them. That would be very helpful.