How do you like your quinoa????

Options

Replies

• HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I like to be creative with it. Lately, I've used it for stuffed peppers, boiled it with broth or bullion for flavor, used it as filler in casserole, and done shrimp fried "rice" with it. All pretty good:)
  • goodtf
    goodtf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soups to help w/ my dieting. i no longer use any of the normal high calorie pastas in them. I use Quinoa along w/ barley in my beef soup, along w/ the regular stuff, carrots, celery, and I add either turnips or sweet potatos, and mushrooms. Really works great in my soups. I use it all the time now
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Tossed with a scrambled egg and leftover veggies...like a mock "fried" rice.
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've found that any way you serve quinoa is delicious. Some of my favorites:

Quinoa burrito with light sour cream, taco sauce, shredded cheese, jalapeno peppers, lettuce, onion, tomato
    Quinoa with 1 tbsp hummus, mixed peppers (raw or frozen), and mixed frozen vegetables
    cumin pairs so well with it too!
    ive had it with spaghetti sauce too=delicious!
    quinoa, parsley, feta, chili seeds, chili powder, olive oil, vinegar
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I made a dish last night that was SOOO GOOOD! Sorry, I just kind of thew some stuff together but its pretty hard to mess it up. You can add spices as you like and change up the ingredients.

Here goes:

Brown some ground turkey (I used 1/2 lb) and throw in some bell pepper slices, cumin, and garlic powder. Add a can of crushed tomatoes with the juice, a cup or so of salsa, worcestershire sauce, and a splash of hot sauce if you like. Stir in cooked quinoa (slightly more quinoa that turkey) and 1/2 cup black beans. You can also add some corn if you like. It would complement well. Let simmer for awhile. It shouldn't be too runny.

EDIT to note that I just realized you said vegetarian. Sorry! I think it would still taste delish without the turkey.

Another idea:

I love mixing some spaghetti sauce in with cooked quinoa and eating it with popcorn shrimp. Noms.
  • seakittyfish
    seakittyfish Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe but it really looks good...:smile:

Quinoa and Herb Burgers...
    http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/recipedetails?recipeid=61199&fm=internal_search
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This recipe rocks - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Cilantro and cumin are your friends... You can also throw in a can/fresh diced tomatoes or steamed spinach if you want at add even more flavors...

THIS THIS THIS!!! Just made it again yesterday and it is really yummy - even my kids eat it. My daughter is eating vegetarian for Lent, so I made her soft tacos with a scoop of this, a little cheese, salsa and sliced avocado. YUM!!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    For breakfast: boiled with chocolate unsweetened almond milk until cooked, mixed with blueberries and a mashed banana. :)

For dinner: boiled with chicken broth, squeeze of lemon overtop after serving

AWESOME IDEA! Thanks!
  • hannyz08
    Options
    I made a sort of red beans and rice but with quinoa, I just cooked the quinoa in some stock, then cooked up onions, garlic, kidney beans, some frozen veggies, and little bit of tomato paste in a pan, added cooked quinoa and about two tablespoons of cajun seasoning. It was the first time I ate quinoa and actually enjoyed it, lol.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There are a TON of awesome quinoa recipes on Pinterest...I'm going to be trying out the burgers soon!!!!
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For breakfast: boiled with chocolate unsweetened almond milk until cooked, mixed with blueberries and a mashed banana. :)

For dinner: boiled with chicken broth, squeeze of lemon overtop after serving

AWESOME IDEA! Thanks!

THIS SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!! I'm definetely going to have to try this!!!
  • almapig1
    Options
    bump
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I made stuffed green peppers recently with quinoa instead of rice. Only because I didn't have any rice on hand and had enough quinoa. It was tasty!
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump - Thanks Everyone!
  • Jlbland123
    Jlbland123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use it in pretty much every salad and anytime I would normally use rice. It's so good with vegetable stir fry!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I cook lean chicken breasts on Sunday for the week, so there are a lot of juices and seasonings in the baking pan once they are finished. From there, I pour that into the quinoa and cook it that way. Adds an interesting flavor.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been looking for how to cook with this! Thanks all!
  • KelliB25
    Options
    Found a recipie for quinoa burgers I have been really wanting to try!
    Here is the website:
    http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Cook with with chicken broth, add tumeric, sauteed onions, squeeze of lemon, a tad bit of rice wine vinegar, and a splash of hoisin sauce.

Ohhh yeah.
  • mystical1959
    Options
    We were able to have pancakes for pancake Tuesday because we made quinoa pancakes and could have substitued the white flour for brown - they were way better tasteing than regular pancakes.

We also made stuffed quinoa and black bean peppers that were amazing - we added frank hot sauce

Both recipes are from the internet.