Best Sneakers for a Tough Mudder?

Options
This will be my first time running in a Tough Mudder. What's the best sneakers to use? I was thinking of using Vibram Five Fingers with Injinji socks.. If Vibrams are good what kind is the best to use? Or do you recommend a different brand ?
Any advice would be great.. Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Old ones you don't care about anymore. They're pretty much done by the time you finish.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    <BUMP> for later
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Searching Amazon I stumbled across these -> http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Speedcross-Trail-Running/dp/B007SK9V64/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seems a lot of GOOD comments for using for the Tough Mudder.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Used my new balance trail minimus, it was a life saver. I could easily walk up hills that people in old dead shoes were struggling up/sliding back down. Plus, they are machine washable. Good as new the next day.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Used my new balance trail minimus, it was a life saver. I could easily walk up hills that people in old dead shoes were struggling up/sliding back down. Plus, they are machine washable. Good as new the next day.
    THIS. Trail shoes are a must.

I used Vivobarefoot Women's Breatho Trail Shoes and yeah, amazing traction and good as new the next day.

I did see a lot of sneakers abandoned at the TM. As for Vibrams, I heard a few people complaining on the course that they were not the right shoe for the event.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    What about socks? Wear them or go without?

Good to hear the New Balance Trail Minimus were good, it's what I plan on running my Tough Mudder if I don't get the Salomons I've been eyeing.
  • Trigrl83
    Trigrl83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used old sneakers but I wrapped them with duck take around my foot so they would not come off in the mud. When going through mud pits the weight of the shoe increase and so does the liklyhood of the shoes coming off your feet.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Good to hear the New Balance Trail Minimus were good, it's what I plan on running my Tough Mudder if I don't get the Salomons I've been eyeing.

I wore dryfit socks, and they kept my feet from getting soggy.
    OH and my shoes did not get heavy or ever feel like they would come off my feet, and I never slipped in the mud and fell.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    THIS. Trail shoes are a must.

I used Vivobarefoot Women's Breatho Trail Shoes and yeah, amazing traction and good as new the next day.

I did see a lot of sneakers abandoned at the TM. As for Vibrams, I heard a few people complaining on the course that they were not the right shoe for the event.

listen to 1CG, she knows whats up. Another person remarked that their standard regular trail shoes were ok, but a more minimal shoe would have been better for the obstacles that were narrow...i.e., having a little more foot control could have helped him not fall off a narrow beam into a pool of freezing water.
  • dxtra30
    Options

I'm eyeing the Salomons as well :) for the Tough Mudder.. For socks would these do for the mudder -> http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Mens-Dri-Fit-Socks-Black/dp/B00AQ1622I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1361307515&sr=8-9&keywords=dri+fit+socks
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You guys/gals with the New Balanaces, how is the impact on sharp rocks? I am sooo torn on the Minimus versus the SpeedCross. But the Speedcross seems like my foot would feel the sharp rocks less.

On the other hand, the Speedcross I want-113 after discount. The minimus-$53.

Is it worth shelling out the extra $60ish????
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    You guys/gals with the New Balanaces, how is the impact on sharp rocks? I am sooo torn on the Minimus versus the SpeedCross. But the Speedcross seems like my foot would feel the sharp rocks less.

On the other hand, the Speedcross I want-113 after discount. The minimus-$53.

Is it worth shelling out the extra $60ish????

I love my minimus, and i have the 1010, which has something called 'RockStop' in the tread, I think its some sort of extra material, but I don't feel sharp rocks one bit.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Check out reviews on Amazon and see what people have to say.. So far I see good thinks on the Salomon Men's Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe..

These will be my first "REAL" trail shoes so I still havent' decided yet but leaning towards the Saloman shoes..
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    bump
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Check out reviews on Amazon and see what people have to say.. So far I see good thinks on the Salomon Men's Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe..

These will be my first "REAL" trail shoes so I still havent' decided yet but leaning towards the Saloman shoes..

I have the new balance 1010 minimus and LOVE them. Haven't had a issue with the rocks either. I went and tried on the Salomon XR Missions since they claim to go from road to pavement. Liked how they fit, but think for the tough mudder I want my minimal shoe. I just started trail running and enjoy it way more than the road.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ones that you will be willing to throw out...
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Columbia and Merrell both make great shoes for this. They have screen on the bottom to let the water out.
  • dbaumgarn
    Options
    OLD ONES, dont ruin good shoes...I donated mine after doing Warrior Dash.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

My brother has these and is seriously in love with them, but he uses them dry. Minimus shoes are definitely preferable for any situation where you're getting them wet and muddy, because that stuff just weighs down the bigger shoes.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Good info...Bumping for later...Doing a mud run in April and don't want to screw it up after all this training by wearing the wrong shoes. :smile: