Best Sneakers for a Tough Mudder?

Options

Replies

• Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've heard horror stories about people's feet ending up shredded after they wore Vibrams and other shoes like that. Most people have said they just use old running shoes. But those trail shoes sound like an excellent idea, so I'm going to look into that. Thanks!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used old sneakers but I wrapped them with duck take around my foot so they would not come off in the mud. When going through mud pits the weight of the shoe increase and so does the liklyhood of the shoes coming off your feet.

This is what I did for mine
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    You guys/gals with the New Balanaces, how is the impact on sharp rocks? I am sooo torn on the Minimus versus the SpeedCross. But the Speedcross seems like my foot would feel the sharp rocks less.

On the other hand, the Speedcross I want-113 after discount. The minimus-$53.

Is it worth shelling out the extra $60ish????

I love my minimus, and i have the 1010, which has something called 'RockStop' in the tread, I think its some sort of extra material, but I don't feel sharp rocks one bit.

I am intrigued by this. I want to start running trails/outside more to train for my Mudder next year...I've been doing research too as I'm on the lookout for some new shoes and would like to get ones that will be good for training in the mud/trails.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I used old sneakers but I wrapped them with duck take around my foot so they would not come off in the mud. When going through mud pits the weight of the shoe increase and so does the liklyhood of the shoes coming off your feet.

A friend of mine did a Spartan. He said to just tie the shoes extra tight even if it's a little uncomfortable. That way they won't come off your foot.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Old ones you don't care about anymore. They're pretty much done by the time you finish.

false. i've kept every pair of sneakers after all my tough mudders and spartans.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Used my new balance trail minimus, it was a life saver. I could easily walk up hills that people in old dead shoes were struggling up/sliding back down. Plus, they are machine washable. Good as new the next day.

these are what i've used. amazing sneakers for trail running and tough mudders.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I lost a shoe 3/4 of a mile in on my first Warrior Dash. Ran the last 2.5 miles with one shoe. I do not recommend it. And I agree that an old pair of running shoes is best. Will your shoes be salvageable after TM? Possibly, but I'd rather just donate them and be done with it. I always keep a spare pair of old running shoes in my closet for my next mud run.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You old pair of shoes you have trained with - the average shoe is really only good for 500 miles and if you've been training for any length of time it's time to get rid of of them. Wear them in the Mudder then donate them at the end.

I think more important is the socks you choose - get some trail sock that will drain water and sand/mud so you aren't slogging so much.

Good luck!!

<I'm a 2 time Tahoe Mudder>
  • lstod
    Options
    definitely solomons!!!! and you won't need to chuck them out at all!!! just wash them out in the shower (take out the insoles too), dry them in the sunshine, and they are ready to wear again for next time!! i've done three tough mudder races in my pair and they are so comfy. if you get blisters/hot spots, i wouldn't recommend not wearing socks... and put tape on problem areas because the trail running is totally different to road running, so your foot will probably move a little differently (hence different friction points/motion) in the shoe. have a blast!! p.s. definitely don't wear cotton clothes/socks... and wear tight fitting stuff, even if it's a little unflattering, there will be less soggy clothing to drag/get snagged!!!
  • Shateyn
    Options
    I wore my five toe shoes in the Spartan race and they were fantastic. I did not donate them at the end though. :P
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Another vote for old shoes. I had a pair that was at the 400 mile mark and that is what I wore and then donated for my Mudder. I would be leary of minimus or barefoot shoes unless you are a barefoot runner to begin with.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Used my new balance trail minimus, it was a life saver. I could easily walk up hills that people in old dead shoes were struggling up/sliding back down. Plus, they are machine washable. Good as new the next day.

these are what i've used. amazing sneakers for trail running and tough mudders.

Awesome-thanks! Add that to my list of shoes to try on this weekend.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I would honestly not go with old shoes, especially ones that don't have much tread on them.

It was a nightmare trying to get up muddy, super steep hills in old tennis shoes. So much so that I had to crawl uphill. I wish I'd worn my trail shoes.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    duplicate post
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've heard horror stories about people's feet ending up shredded after they wore Vibrams and other shoes like that. Most people have said they just use old running shoes. But those trail shoes sound like an excellent idea, so I'm going to look into that. Thanks!
    I second this ^^^. I'd never use them when running on a rough trail for very long. There are way too many sticks/rocks that you'll feel with Vibrams.

Also, keep in mind that you'll sometimes be pulling your legs up hard in stiff mud. It's easy to lose a shoe if it's just a slip-on.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    this thread is weird. i could have sworn that i and some of my friends posted back in feb but now several posts seem to have been deleted and i have no idea why.

anyhoo, another vote for the NB Minimus 10 is what I wore and it was terrific. not only was it comfortable for the whole event, when i got home i just dumped them in the washing machine and they came out brand spanking new. people without washable shoes had to leave/donate their shoes at the end of the event as they are TRASHED.

my first thought was to get a Vibram fivefinger shoe for the event but after thinking about it i was worried that my toes would take a lot of damage over 10-12 miles. if it was a shorter distance, it'd probably be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For these kinds of runs I use my Merrell Bare Access shoe.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about getting your shoes muddy...it's only mud...it comes right out in the wash. I wore a pair of practically brand new shoes this past weekend for the Dirty Dash...they're no worse for the wear after a good run through the washing machine. Just my $.02 in that RE.
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    bump--running my first one in October and I've read good things about the New Balance Minimus as well... interesting to read all the replies :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well look what the dragged in...