Starting over...how do you all find the time???

Options
Hello!

I work full time, have two kids (ages 9 and 6), and I'm also a full time student. My husband works out of town, so I have the kids by myself the majority of the time except for school nights when my parents take them. I know that it's important to eat healthy and exercise, but I honestly can't find the time without giving up sleep. How do you all do it? I know it's important to log everyday and I was doing really well for a little while and then school started back up again.

I've tried making my meals ahead of time and logging them into the system before I eat. That seems to work, but then the next week, I won't have time to make my meals for the week and I fall behind. Half the time, I'm eating on the run, or I eat something late at night when I get home from class. I try to keep only healthy options in the house, veggie burgers, vegetables, yogurt...those are pretty much grab and go type of things, but then I realize I'm not eating the minimum calories per day and as we all know, that's not healthy. I was walking during my breaks and lunch at work, but then I started having to do homework or study during those times and the walking trips stopped. My goal is to eat healthier, exercise more, and set a better example for my kids, not really to lose weight.

I have a little less than two years left in school, I'm not going to quit and I'm part of a cohort so I can't take less of a course load. I'm just busy, but I know that I can't be the only one like this! If anyone has any tips, I'd be thankful if you shared!

Thanks!!

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't find the time ... I make it. I work and also homeschool, and my husband works full time and is a full time student. You make health a priority because at the end of the day, it's going to make you do much better in other areas of your life and will give you the strength and energy to pursue all those other things.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    YOU have to make yourself a priority.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Moms dont put themselves a priority. Find someway to do this. I just printed off my last weeks tracking, if nothing else you could eat what is on that sheet.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I understand it's important. I have tried to make the time, I'm asking for what works for people. It's not that I don't get how important it is. There are 24 hours in a day, I work and I'm in school for 14 of those hours two days a week with the homework and studying that goes along with it. It's not like I'm making excuses.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and go to the gym. If I try to work it in during the day, I have no chance many days.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 everyday to be at the gym by 5:30. Time is such a luxury.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do your school reading while on the treadmill or exercise bike. Recite your notes into a recorder and listen to it while going for a jog. Have the kids do an exercise video at home with you, or take them outside to play ball.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    well - if you are seriously at your wits end - not eating works like a charm - just not recommended.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    There is 168 hours in a week. I find it hard to believe a person can't find time to exercise!!!

Nothing but Excuses!!!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't find the time ... I make it.

yeah, just quoting this for emphasis. Any other response as to why you can't make the time is an excuse. There is no "..but..." response needed, just a "okay, so I will make the time."
  • lorby33
    Options
    I suggest starting with small goals. Work out 2-3 days a week. Be good Mon-Fri with eating. Don't beat yourself up if you "mess up" one day by not eating the healthiest or missing a workout. Stay positive. Try to stay in the mentality that every day counts, not the mentality that you'll do it tomorrow. Good luck!
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find a healthy balance between making the time and finding the time. Depending on the age of your children, maybe you could involve them in your workouts. I am sure there are some great exercise DVD's that are kid-appropriate. Or, get some hula-hoops and have little competitions to see who can go the longest. If the weather is nice, get out to a park and play or plan a family (with or without hubby) hike or a foot tour of your city. Take the stairs instead of an elevator, park farther away from the store. While some of these may not, necessarily, be recordable, they will make a difference.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I don't find time...I make time. I consider preparing food + exercise = ME time.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you have enough time to eat... you have enough time to log it.

I am married (no kids) but a full time student and work as well. I'm gone from 8 am - 9 pm most days. I've logged over 240 days in a row. Why? I dedicate a few minutes to it each day. Maybe 5 minutes and that's it. Once you create "meals" you often eat the same meal many times so you can just log the meal instead of the individual ingredients.

You have to take time for yourself and your health... because if you don't, who will?
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I workout at work on my breaks and my lunch. This may not be an option for you, but I have a gym at work so I am lucky. I also have two kids and I went back to school and finished and my husband just finished his masters. I do abs/weights on my breaks and 30 day shred on my lunch break then eat at my desk. I usually cook chicken breasts or something on Sundays that I can take throughout the week. The crockpot has been good too. Check out skinnytaste.com. Is there something you can do at work to get moving even if you dont have access to the gym? Walk around the bldg, take the stairs. We also started a fitness challenge at work so for every 15 mins of excercise you get you earn one point. We are divided into teams and the competition helps keep us motivated.
    I have tried waking up before the kids and working out then but it did not work for me. I also pack boiled eggs, fruit, veggies, nuts etc. that I can eat throughout the day at work. I know its overwhelming, but maybe just start with one goal and then add to it as you can. In the beginning, I simply did 1200 cals a day and ate frozen meals. I know thats not the best idea but I had to start somewhere.
    Good Luck

Dana
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I work full time. I go to school half time. I am captain of three tennis teams. I volunteer for the Red Cross. I participate in clinical research at a hospital. I shadow a physician every Saturday.

I don't find time, I make time.

I only spend about 1-1.5 hours in the gym 3 times a week. That's it. Actually logging my food just takes a few minutes.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Agree with others -- I don't "find" the time. I make the time.

I am a mom, I work full-time and go to school half-time. We don't have any family here to help us out with our daughter. Generally, if I'm not working, and my daughter is not in school, she is with me.

Find a gym that has free childcare and make it a priority to go. Stop eating out. Buy groceries. It really doesn't take much longer to cook something than it does to drive to a restaurant and sit in a drive-through line.

It's not something that just happens -- you have to purposely design your life to incorporate healthful behaviors.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm asking for ideas to help make the time, not people telling me how easy it is for them to do it or telling me that I'm making excuses by saying that I'm lacking time. While I appreciate everyone responding, sometimes people just need ideas. The fact that I'm asking for assistance shows that I've been trying and what I've been doing hasn't been working.

Bethie_B, thank you for responding with a solution! I will definitely try the recording myself reading my notes while I run on the treadmill! That sounds like a great idea and something I can do and get my studying done at the same time. I have a treadmill that I used ot use frequently, so I'm all about it!
  • lizp114
    lizp114 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't find the time ... I make it. I work and also homeschool, and my husband works full time and is a full time student. You make health a priority because at the end of the day, it's going to make you do much better in other areas of your life and will give you the strength and energy to pursue all those other things.
    e

I agree with this 100% just what I was going to say...you have to MAKE time for yourself just like you make time for everything else you have or need to do...i'm not saying it will be easy but it willbe worth it...maybe workout when everyone is slerp...or you can find desk workouts to do as you study etc
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    As was said, you have to make the time happen. I have 3 kids, work full time, am currently working on a masters degree, and have responsibilities with things at church so I can understand how having the time is hard. You mention that you make food ahead and log it in ahead of time some weeks, look at those times that you are able to do it as an example and follow that to find the time in the other weeks. Even if you could squeeze in 1 or 2 hours a week you could precook your food for the whole week and portion it out into easy grab containers for those rushed days. Then when it is hard to find time for walking, you could make it a family time with your kids. If you are in class for two days, that leaves you five days to find time for exercise. As it gets nicer outside take the kids for 30 minutes for a game of tag, or walking in a park a few times a week. Or when the kids are in bed at night get a 30 minute workout video that you can do from your living room. Despite everything I have going on in my life I have had to make me a priority in this and find the time to do what is right for my health. Ever situation is different and you just have to find what is going to work for you and then keep it up because it is worth it. Good luck to you.