Starting over...how do you all find the time???

Options

Replies

• HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I workout at work on my breaks and my lunch. This may not be an option for you, but I have a gym at work so I am lucky. I also have two kids and I went back to school and finished and my husband just finished his masters. I do abs/weights on my breaks and 30 day shred on my lunch break then eat at my desk. I usually cook chicken breasts or something on Sundays that I can take throughout the week. The crockpot has been good too. Check out skinnytaste.com. Is there something you can do at work to get moving even if you dont have access to the gym? Walk around the bldg, take the stairs. We also started a fitness challenge at work so for every 15 mins of excercise you get you earn one point. We are divided into teams and the competition helps keep us motivated.
    I have tried waking up before the kids and working out then but it did not work for me. I also pack boiled eggs, fruit, veggies, nuts etc. that I can eat throughout the day at work. I know its overwhelming, but maybe just start with one goal and then add to it as you can. In the beginning, I simply did 1200 cals a day and ate frozen meals. I know thats not the best idea but I had to start somewhere.
    Good Luck

Dana

Thank you! The one goal at a time approach seems like something I can do. Trying to fit everything in at one time is a little overwhelming!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Instead of walking choose higher intensity workouts to get maximum benefits in a short amount of time. Calisthenics - squats, lunges, jumping jacks, burpees, pushups, pullups, etc. - are great for short workouts. Even if you only do 20-30 at a time and work them in throughout the day, you will see benefits.

When you have free time, you can choose exercises that allow you spend time together as a family such as biking, hiking, skating, swimming, etc. You don't have to free up a big block of time for exercise. Just work it into your busy life.

As for diet, try keeping small containers of pre-cut vegetables and pb or hummus in the fridge for higher calorie snack on the go. Or pre-portion nuts or trail mix into single serving containers. Premix salad ingredients that can be quickly rolled up in a high fiber wrap with some tuna, precooked chicken, hummus, egg salad, etc. for a portable meal. Make soups, stew or chili to quickly re-heat for meals. Make a large batch and freeze or can some for later. If you don't have time to chop and cook vegetables, buy prechopped frozen (or prechopped fresh if your budget allows).
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    2 jobs, school, volunteering.. I make time, I don't find it. Mornings, evenings. I used to walk every lunch hour at one of my jobs just to fit in something! You can do it, make the time :)
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is going to be your eating habits. If you have time for nothing else, then just focus on that. don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. just stay within your calorie range. perhaps set aside one day a week to do all your cooking. if that isn't possible then just keep those quick and easy items on hand like plenty of low fat dairy, fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. i'm always having to eat on the go. I have the mfp app on my phone. I walk on my breaks. i study/do homework during my lunch. sometimes i even do my class readings while on the treadmill. make flash cards as part of your studying and have your kids quiz you as you are walking around the block. where there is a will, there is a way. We've heard the reasons why you can't. let's hear some reasons why you CAN.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Buy the Eat This, Not That books. There's one for restaurants that will show you how to eat outside the house and lose weight and one for supermarkets to make it a lot simpler to eat at home. There's another one for grilling too. Those books changed my life and made losing weight while on the run a realistic goal for me
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do not watch TV anymore. Sometimes it is on in the background when I'm doing school stuff, but I don't have time for it otherwise.

Do you go to school and study all day every day? If not, create a schedule and designate 1 hour blocks of time every day for the gym, and 1 hour blocks every day for cooking meals.

I'm busy, but it's really not that HARD. I just stay organized and move from one thing to the next. I generally know how I'll be spending my time every day. It really comes down to making healthy eating and exercise as much of a priority as everything else. Use your time wisely and stay focused. Give yourself deadlines for studying and completing papers and projects. Schedule time with your kids every day -- dinner time is a great time for everyone to relax and regroup. Take time once a week to buy healthy groceries and plan meals.

The most important thing is to create a routine, even if you need to write it out on paper, and stick with it. There is no room for "I don't feel like it," in my life. If it's time to do it, it gets done, because there won't be more time later.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep - have to fit the gym in before work - then go and work a 12 hour day, 6 days a week.

Catch up on sleep on a Sunday if I can!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Really do have to make it a priority. Its easy to say you don't have time to exercise yet when there is an important meeting, or an errand comes up there is always time for that. 30 minutes is really all you need. You could even start with 25 at least. Try exercising with the kids.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My co-worker works a 12 hour job, has 4 kids, is pregnant with her 5th, her husband is a cop so also works demanding shifts, and yet she still finds time.

If you want this bad enough you will make time. Get a dvd workout set and do it with your kids. She does insanity with her 4 boys and they have fun doing it.

As for the lunches, prepare the lunch when you are putting food away from dinner. That is what I do, then I just measure out some snacks and toss in an easy breakfast (usually instant oatmeal or something like that) and I am good to go.

Me personally? I don't have kids yet, but I do have a demanding job. I work 2 on 2 off, 12 hour days. And often am shifting shifts every few months from days to nights. I still MAKE time. I still make sure to make my food to take with me.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One important trick I learned from my husband - taking care of the kids doesn't mean doing exactly what they want 100% of the time. We work opposite shifts right now - so I frequently have the kids (2 years and 11 months).

Our living room is our TV room and play area. I will put on a workout video or even just find something on YouTube (1st 30 Day Shred workout is on there) and workout with the kids in the same room. Yeah - they tug on me and make it harder to concentrate - but I keep at it and they are learning that they can play 20-30 minutes without me supervising every move.

Last night, they didn't want mommy's workout on the TV - so they got one episode of Yo Gabba Gabba. During that episode I jumped, danced, and jogged - in the living room. I had my heart rate monitor on. 200 cals in 20 minutes.

Good luck finding creative solutions!
  • dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I fully understand what you are going through. I don't think everyone can appreciate how busy life can get for some of us. Here are a few tips:

1.) Log your food and exercise early in the day. I find this helps me know what I need to do for dinner (add calories, remove calories, etc.) and also keeps me accountable to my choices. If I didn't have that candy bar on the list, I can't eat it in a moment of weakness because it would mess up my careful tracking! :)
    2.) Use your lunch breaks at work to run errands, study, log food, or work out. If you bring a healthy packed lunch, you can eat it very quickly and then use the remainder of your lunch break to do something productive. This frees up time later in the day for other priorities.
    3.) Not sure what kind of work you do, but if it is a desk job and you can take breaks at will, aim to take 2 10 minute walking breaks during the day. I do this to stretch my legs - and I walk all through the building, take the stairs, etc. for at least 10 minutes at a time. It is a short enough break that no one really misses me (I have co-workers who take longer smoke breaks than that) and it gets me moving. Along the same lines, use the time before or between your classes to take a brisk walk around campus. Every step gets you closer to your goal!
    4.) Work-out videos are a great way to exercise. You can do one when the kids are busy watching TV elsewhere or doing their homework. I would aim for ones that are 20-30 minutes long since your schedule likely won't allow for anything longer.
    5.) If it is the end of the day and you haven't had time to work out, force yourself to do 15 minutes of something healthy before bed - push ups, weights, jog in place, etc. You won't miss 15 minutes of sleep. (Along those same lines, I do wall push-ups in the shower.)

All in all, make small attainable goals with your time. 15-20 minute blocks are obtainable with your life. 2 hour gym sessions are not. You can do it!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Also, I would have to say that "perfect" doesn't exist in any one life area. I do the best I can to balance everything and shift priorities according to what's going on.

If you are working full-time, going to school full-time and your husband is working out of town, maybe you need to settle for 30 minutes of quick exercise 3 or 4 times a week, or settle for changing your eating habits a little at a time instead of trying to make drastic changes.

You can do ANYTHING you want to do, but you can't always do EVERYTHING you want to do.

If I get accepted into the graduate program I applied to, we will definitely be budgeting for house cleaning services, because there's no way I can do a DNP program, work full-time, be a good mom AND keep up with housework while not being a raving lunatic.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You can start by just eating better. Losing weight is mostly what you put into your body. I cook on Sundays in BULK. Grill 6 chicken breasts, steam a ton of veggies, and make a whole pot of brown rice. Also, make a crockpot meal that you and the kiddos can enjoy... so easy, too! Just throw all the ingredients into the crockpot before you leave for the day... cook on LOW for 8-10 hrs.

Then once you get into the swing of eating right then add a 2-3 days of workouts. Even if it's waking up 30 min. early and doing a 30 minute Jillian Michaels DVD. Walk on your lunch break... walk for 45 minutes and eat for 15.

Remember you are worth it... and your family needs you to be healthy. Good luck :)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    We are busy people. I have 3 kids, 12,9, and almost 2. I use fitness DVDs for exercise, I get one that is 20-30 minutes. My kids do it with me. The bigger ones goof off quite a bit, and the baby jumps around and lifts her arms and legs to the music. It is really funny to watch her.

For tracking, I have the app on my mobile phone so I log on the go. I try to log it as I sit down to eat it, or in my car before I actually take off for where I am going.

For food prep, I do a rough plan of what I want to make for the week. I go to the grocery weekly, I save time by having my older kids help me fill the buggy. I will have one get one item from the shelf, while the other gets something else, while I get another item. The 9 year old stays in my aisle, while I may send the 12 year old to the next aisle. I can usually cut about 30 minutes off my trip. When I get home, they help me carry in the food, and I start washing and bagging my fruits and veggies in individual bags according to portion size.

Each morning, I have a yogurt and fruit for breakfast, and put together a sandwich and grab a few of my pre bagged fruits and veggies and cheese snacks for the day's lunch. For dinner each night, I fix something that I can put in the pressure cooker, or bake, or a crock pot meal. For the crock pot, I wake up about 15 minutes earlier, and throw everything in. For the bake or pressure cooker, when I get home, I change into my work out clothes, put the food in the oven or on the stove top, then do my exercise. By the time I am done, it is ready to be eaten or stirred or turned. I get home at about 5:30, we usually have dinner at 6:30 or 7. I do have a great husband, so if I need help with the dinner, he is there to help, but mornings are not his thing, so I am on my own on a crazy morning.

I kind of have this down to a routine now, and it works for us. I hope this gives you some ideas that you can use, or at least motivates you in some way! Good luck on your journey.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My husband travels quite often, so I understand the dilema of having the kids at home and trying to work out. What I finally ended up doing was buying a couple of fitness DVDs and getting my butt up at 5AM to complete them before the kids get up.

Other than that, I like to challenge my kids to a good handball game after work against the garage door, or we go for a bike ride once a week or so.

On weeks that my husband is home, I still get up at 5AM, only go for a run outside.

If I didn't do it at 5AM, it just wouldn't get done at all, so there's my suggestion.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There are several workout DVD's that are 30 minutes or less and dedicated to people that don't have much time. I would suggest doing something along these lines. Also, workout with your kids in sports and running, etc. I find myself challenging my nieces to run with me by seeing who can get to something first (I know they will win) it's a challenge for me, and it's fun for them. Also, working out while reading or listening to lectures, etc is a good choice. You have to make the balance in your life and see what works for you.
  • brisamh
    Options
    I tend to log it at work or at school.... I'm a full time student and full time employee as well... it gets tough, I have the phone app so that makes it a lot easier to take 2 min to track the food.

Some days when I don't have time to search it all, i'll scribble what I ate on a piece of paper and then when I get home log it in.

Food plans are helpful, but in the end it's super hard to stick with them. I enjoy seeing how many calories certain foods I eat have, because then I feel less likely to buy them later on after watching them ruin my calorie goal. the first two months I used this off and on, and didn't commit... just give it time and FORGIVE yourself when you slip up. this is for you not for anyone else.... so be honest to yourself.

to recap: get the phone app if you can, if you are pressed for time just write it down on a paper and upload it later, and one more thing....

I try and keep in mind a few good 'go to foods' when I can anticipate needing a snack. I always get myself in trouble when the sneaky hunger kicks in and I eat on impulse... nip that in the butt by planning ahead, assuming you will need a between meals snack, and resist the urge to justify that cookie or whatever your vice is by having something small ( i like in kind bars) on hand.
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I completely know where you're coming from. I struggle with the same thing as my kids are 4 and 20 months and my husband works long hours and pretty much 7 days a week. By the time I get home from work I have to put the children to bed and then cook my dinner, can't go out for a walk or anything as my kids are in bed & we have no one to look after them.

At the moment my only exercise is walking in my lunch break and walking with the kids on my day off. We are in the process of getting our bikes roadworthy so we can get the kids in their bike seat/trailgator bike, but I can only do that when my husband is around as I can't take both of them. Started trampolining on a Saturday morning a year ago but had to give up as I was missing most sessions due to no childcare. May be able to start it again when my son is a bit bigger and I don't have to worry about him running off while I'm taking my turn. But I am just doing whatever I can whenever I can, yes I'm sure I would get fitter quicker if I were able to get to an exercise class or the gym in the evenings, but every little bit is better than nothing.

Just don't give up, like you said you know how important it is, so whenever there is an opportunity to be active - grab it with both hands x
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that.

Before I got remarried I had three school age boys, a full time day/desk job and went to school 3 nights a week. Granted, I was nowhere NEAR as heavy as I am now, and maybe that's because I moved around a LOT more then.

What I would do is park as far away from wherever I needed to be and briskly walk to where I needed to be. Took the stairs instead of the elevator to class. I also would eat at my desk and keep working and use lunch and break periods to hit the stairs or walk around the facility.

Yup....It's hard. Absolutely, because there are but so many hours in the day. HOWEVER, you have to be sneaky about it and pull one over on the clock and make ways to exercise.

Even now, I work the same desk job as I did back then, I sit on a stability ball, take the stairs whenever I need to run upstairs, and do little office workouts (wall squats, wall pushups, etc), when things are slow.

Hope it helps...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that said to concentrate on your eating right now. I think you need to make it a priority to make up these batches of food on the weekend. And not just lunch but think about breakfast and snack as well. When I'm writing up my grocery list for the week, I make sure to include things like fruits, veg, yogurt and protein bars for snacks, eggs and/or oatmeal for breakfast, meat, cheese, bread & veg for lunch as well as all the dinners for the week. Then I make up batches of things like 6 days worth of oatmeal and enough chicken salad for the week and put them in those little containers. Then all I have to do in the morning is throw my yogurt, oatmeal container, a couple pieces of fruit, a veg, my protein bar and throw together a chicken salad wrap quickly and I'm good to go. You could also boil up a dozen or two eggs to have for snacks/meals.

As far as exercise, goes, just fit in what you can. Even if it's only 10 minutes a couple times a day on your breaks at work, that's better than nothing!