is it worth it in the end?

Options

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is worth it. It's worth it when you can run your first mile. It's worth it when you slip on a size 4 pair of jeans and they fit with room. All the restriction, all the sweat and tears, it's all worth it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The only regret I have is not starting sooner...

/thread
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    As an attorney part of my job is reading a LOT of medical records - and I can tell you that SO MANY really bad health problems result from obesity. Some people spend a great deal of thier lives in the emergency room, hospital, or clinic because they would not commit to losing the weight. That is not how I want to spend my life. You?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/

It will require commitment and dedication.

It will require you to say “no” sometimes.

It will require sacrifice.

It won’t be quick.

It won’t be easy.

It won’t be fun all of the time

Your friends will laugh at you for doing things differently.

Your coworkers will gawk and poke fun at your new eating habits.

Your loved ones will call you crazy and ask you to “be normal.”

You will have to change some habits.

You will want to give up.

You will want to go back to bed.

You will want to say “eh, good enough.”

And you will ask yourself: “is it really worth it?”

You’re damn right it is.

You will feel great when you set a new record for push ups.

You will let out a rebel yell when doing your first pull up.

You will feel awesome running faster this week than last week.

You will be amazed at how far you’ve come when looking at old pictures.

You will feel good when people ask “have you been working out?”

You will smile when your kids say “I want to be strong like you!”

You will be surprised when people come to you for fitness advice.

You will feel pride when you look at yourself in the mirror.

You will go to sleep knowing that you’re a better person today than you were yesterday.

It is worth it.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    sometimes i start to think is it really worth it, why i am i trying this hard, what am i really going to accomplish at the end of all this. will it be a positive change or a negative change in my life. how do you guys deal with this?

Simple, because I almost died in 2005 I do not take life too serious because at the end of the day, none of us get out alive....
  • userpaul
    userpaul Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than being fat
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    sometimes i start to think is it really worth it, why i am i trying this hard, what am i really going to accomplish at the end of all this. will it be a positive change or a negative change in my life. how do you guys deal with this?

Simple, because I almost died in 2005 I do not take life too serious because at the end of the day, none of us get out alive....

Same here. 2001. you cant force me to waste my life even if you had a gun to my head.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wonder that too myself. When results appear it's an amazing feeling but it takes much time, sweat and obsessing on my part to get any sort of change.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Changes like these have to happen from the outside in. Loving yourself, confidence, self worth - THOSE are what's worth it. Getting to a healthy weight is just a great side effect.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options

agree to disagree. being unable to walk and care for yourself regardless of weight, pretty much is hell.
  • Lovinglish
    Lovinglish Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I totally get what your saying in a sometimes get those thoughts too, however it has to be Just think about it your most likely going from eating whatever you want to mostly eating tthat nourish your body and giving your heart a workout by exercising more. Weight loss.though.a big and.most.requested reward is just an effect. But you doing those things for your body, your health is increasing your livelyhood. So i will say yes, yes its worth all the struggle sweat pain and tears. Good luck to u
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

agree to disagree. being unable to walk and care for yourself regardless of weight, pretty much is hell.

I don't think they meant for that comment to be taken literally.

And YES it is worth it in the end.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Find something you like doing, something that makes you look the way you want, and work towards it. If you can't be happy while working towards those ends, something needs to change. The benefits are derived along the way, not at the destination. In the end...you're dead. You'll be dead whether you worked out like crazy and ate perfectly or sat around all day eating donuts and cheesecake.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so...

If the hot chicks don't come flocking to me, then it wasn't.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It is what you make it.

Not dying before I hit 60 is absolutely worth it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Always strive to improve your life. That is positive, by definition.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options

REALLY, I am fat and its ok because I am also alive. I officated basketball starting at 9 am Sat and finished at 5:30. 1 minute between quarters and three minutes at halftime and between games....8 games I did and yes I am sore but by God I did it...in all my fatness!!!!!!

Tell my skinny step-son that weighs 100 pounds at 16 how good it feels to be skinny since it is due to Crohn's disease...

(drops mic and steps off soap box)
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    foods not the problem its more so is me having to work 10x harder just to catch up with with the rest. i guess im just venting

Who are you trying to catch up to? People who have already lost weight? People you're comparing yourself to? I read a great quote recently. "Comparison is the thief of joy". Do your best to focus on your own journey and try not to let outside influences get to you too much. What does it matter what someone else's weight loss journey was like? The only thing that matters is that you stick to yours.

Venting is good. Just don't let it get you to think negatively for too long. Hang in there. :smile:

You are getting healthy at a far younger age than most people do. Stick with it! You have already lost 21 lbs according to your profile! That is awesome! Keep it up! :smile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but remember that it's never going to be easier than it is right now.

If you continue on an unhealthy trajectory, you will almost certainly hear the words that many of us already have - "You have to lose weight for your health" or worse "You have to lose weight or you are going to die young".

Don't end up as just another 30-something who looks back and wishes they never gave up on fitness.