Y is Dr. Oz always promoting these quick diets

Options

Replies

• Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    NOt just Dr. Oz though. I literally had to find a new endocrinologist because my former had been pushing me since after my thyroid surgery to go on the HCG diet. Told me how safe it was and the success of some of his patients. After the first time he mentioned it, I went home and researched. Next time I saw him he was pushing the same thing and I told him I wasn't interested in a short term fix that I needed his help to make long term changes and what could do? Next visit he congratulated me on my poor health and told me I was winning the race to have a heart attack. Left the office in tears and completely wrecked. Researched online and decided to try diabetic friendly menu for my lifestyle and see if that would help my blood tests and lose weight.

Was supposed to see the doctor 4 months after that visit, he has never seen my progress. I found a new doctor who is very excited about the changes I ahve made. She also told me that my former doctor was probably getting a kickback for the program he was pushing so it doesn't matter. HE gets a kickback for the trials and the results so he doesn't care whether or not it is healthy...
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    They used to have him up on one of the TVs in the gym at my old job. Heck, if I ate everything Dr. Oz said I needed, I'd be living on nothing but kale, flax seeds, garlic and a pile of vitamin and mineral supplements. No room for the occasional piece of cake. I haven't taken much of his advice.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    For the same reason some people give up their legitimate jobs and become prostitutes (and one can draw a lot of parallels in this regard) - money, and lots of it.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    NOt just Dr. Oz though. I literally had to find a new endocrinologist because my former had been pushing me since after my thyroid surgery to go on the HCG diet. Told me how safe it was and the success of some of his patients. After the first time he mentioned it, I went home and researched. Next time I saw him he was pushing the same thing and I told him I wasn't interested in a short term fix that I needed his help to make long term changes and what could do? Next visit he congratulated me on my poor health and told me I was winning the race to have a heart attack. Left the office in tears and completely wrecked. Researched online and decided to try diabetic friendly menu for my lifestyle and see if that would help my blood tests and lose weight.

Was supposed to see the doctor 4 months after that visit, he has never seen my progress. I found a new doctor who is very excited about the changes I ahve made. She also told me that my former doctor was probably getting a kickback for the program he was pushing so it doesn't matter. HE gets a kickback for the trials and the results so he doesn't care whether or not it is healthy...

Have you thought about reporting him? What he said to you was completely unprofessional.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have conflicted feelings on this topic. When Dr. Oz was on Oprah weekly I really liked him. I thought he had a great way of explaining things that people could understand and was knowledgeable about the topics being discussed. When he wrote "You on a Diet" his advice was user friendly and down to earth. However, once he got his own show I believe that in order to come up with topics every day (instead of every week) he had to change things up a bit. People would get sick of watching shows that said the same thing over and over again in the same way. I think that is the nature of television. I also think that some of the things that are promoted on the show would not work for me or don't seem doable, but they might for someone else. And what I find interesting and relevant to my situation might not sound appealing to someone else. Overall, I think he does still advocate healthy eating along with supplements but most of the advice and suggestions are food based. I don't watch every day, though.

As for the raspberry ketones, I don't know much about it and don't assume that Dr. Oz promotes it just because an ad on a website says so.

I am also curious whether or not the people bashing Dr. Oz (and the people who watch it) actually watch the show themselves to be able to make the kinds of statements they are making.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    411_money.gif
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It makes for good t.v. I'm sure the doctor was quick to sign on the dotted line when they told him the amount of money he was going to get from selling all that crap that doesn't work.
  • Otrogen
    Options
    It's very oversimplistic to just blame Dr. Oz for being a sellout. The fact is, I doubt he could have kept a popular TV show about weight loss while telling the truth about it, because nobody wants to hear the truth. Unfortunately, you DO have to make time to exercise. You DO have to exert some sort of self control over the foods you put in your mouth and allow to enter your body. It ISN'T quick and it ISN'T easy.

Who wants to hear that? Not the masses who religiously tune in to watch the shows that made Dr. Oz famous. It's as much "our" faults as it is his.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I am also curious whether or not the people bashing Dr. Oz (and the people who watch it) actually watch the show themselves to be able to make the kinds of statements they are making.
    My wife occasionally watches it when I'm in the same room - she usually gets irritated after I scream "Wrong again, you freaking tool!" for about the tenth time. Can't believe the misinformation and broscience that spews out of his (and his guests') mouth.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    More so... why are people dumb enough to believe that quick fixes really work?

this! remember bee pollen? I hate when people ask me 'does this work?" if it worked would any of us be fat? eat a carrot and get on the ebike. it ain't easy
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I
    CAN
    NOT
    STAND
    HIM!

or Dr.Phil for that matter.

^^ this
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I saw him on a tv special like 60 minutes just before the premiere of this seasons Biggest Loser. He stated just because his name and photo is saying he endorses it that is not really so. He stated he does not endorse the diet pills etc that he has on his show or on the web. I guess Its up to us to decide if he is being honest.

I saw that on his show once. It makes sense that he can have a show where he says, "wild elderberry extract providees essential nutrients" and the next day some company he's never heard of is hawking its version of wild elderberry extract with the pitch "As seen on TV!!! Dr. Oz says you need wild elderberry extract!!!" He has no control over that. He did say it was a good thing to take, but any place selling fake versions can hijack his name and add it to their sales pitch.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    because he is a shill and he gets paid for it.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Because the general public wants to believe quick fixes work. And Dr. OZ promotes what the general public wants. How many times do you come on here and people are complaining that they are only losing 1lb a week and want to know why it's not faster? Because everyone expects it to just drop off...
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    simple-money money money
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm who watches that show? Look at what time its on and look at the demographic that watches the show. THATS who is being targeted for these quick diets.

cm-26150-05078bdf6bcd41.gif
  • ktrichards06
    Options
    Because ERRRRRYBODY wants a quick fix. There's NO SUCH THING

I agree!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Because its all about money, period, the end.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    He's a very successful heart surgeon that's been published in a a boatload of medical journals. He's supposedly one of the leading heart surgeons in the country, you would think he makes plenty of money and wouldn't need to sell out for the almighty dollar. That being said I don't think there's anything wrong with a fad diet if it's used in the manner it's intended. If you do a crash diet for a few weeks to jump start your weight loss then ease your way into a more sensible, long term "lifestyle" of healthy eating and exercise I don't see a problem.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Because ERRRRRYBODY wants a quick fix. There's NO SUCH THING
    Amen to this! Dr. Oz is not someone I bother watching because of all these so-called quick fixes. It took me more than a year to lose 50 lbs. just by changing my eating habits and exercising more. I have fallen off the track slightly, but instead of going for the quick fix, I'm gonna get myself back on track and lose the weight the good ol' fashion way. I don't need those raspberry ketones or dangerous diet pills. To paraphrase the Frank Sinatra line, I did it my way, and I'm gonna do it again...my way. :smile: