Colonic Hydrotherapy

Options
Hi,

Has anyone had colonic hydrotherapy? I've read that having this done not only removes some unwanted kilos but is good to give your body a detox, help your metabolism, increase energy, clear skin, improve bowel function, reduce headaches, etc. Has anyone been brave enough to try this (the idea of it scares the **** out of me, I guess if I have it done then it will literally!) and what benefits did you experience? Did you think it was worth the cost?

It isn't something I plan on doing on a regular basis but thought it might be a good idea to give my body a bit of a cleanse and in future will just continue with my new lifestyle of eating a lot healthier.

Thanks for the feedback.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It is pseudoscientific nonsense......having a glass of prune juice will do the same thing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No, unless you have a medical necessity.
  • gethealthyAndrea
    Options
    Have either of you tried it and know from experience? I'd love to hear from someone who has had colonic hydrotherapy. thanks.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's an excellent way to lose weight in the wallet region. :laugh:
    If you only want to hear from people who had it done then you've already decided it's of interest to you. If you want to learn whether or not it's quackery then I'd suggest search terms like "journal", "study" and "colon hydrotherapy"
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you want to clean out your bowels, just eat a ton of garlic. It'll help shed all of the junk attached to your intestinal lining (and give you really stinky BMs to be prepared to crack a window lol)

I've heard using enemas regularly ends up making your body dependent on them and you have a harder time using the restroom naturally.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you want to clean out your bowels, just eat a ton of garlic. It'll help shed all of the junk attached to your intestinal lining (and give you really stinky BMs to be prepared to crack a window lol)

I've heard using enemas regularly ends up making your body dependent on them and you have a harder time using the restroom naturally.

In order to make the body dependent on them a person would need to do it a few times a month. Not once in a great while. Plus an at home enema is waaaaaay different than seeing a professional.
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No way in hell would I let someone who's NOT qualified put anything in my butt. How do you even know the instruments are sterile? Blech!

But hey, you want a professional opinion? Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say--

"Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. However, there's little evidence that colon cleansing produces these effects.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems
    If you choose to try colon cleansing, take these precautions:

Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
    Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn't been previously used.
    Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
    Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration."

So good luck with that!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No way in hell would I let someone who's NOT qualified put anything in my butt. How do you even know the instruments are sterile? Blech!

But hey, you want a professional opinion? Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say--

"Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. However, there's little evidence that colon cleansing produces these effects.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems

Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
    Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn't been previously used.
    Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
    Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration."

So good luck with that!

This is why I don't believe everything I read on the internet. My Dr told me to have a colonic done because I have a "slow colon".
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

"Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.to

So good luck with that!

This is why I don't believe everything I read on the internet. My Dr told me to have a colonic done because I have a "slow colon".

If your doctor is qualified, they have a sick sense of humour.
  • TarshCooper001
    TarshCooper001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Groan.. it's a sad day when people feel the need to comment about something they are NOT interested in.We all can self diagnose and prescribe according to the internet but it is helpful to hear from those who actually have given it a go rather than those who havent, dont want to and want to make people NOT want to based on thier beliefs.
    Do us a favour and only respond with personal experiences- not with personal views or googled medical responses.

I too am interested. Have tried the prune juice, the garlic, the chilli and the natural laxatives as well as the prescribed drinks from the doctors but still no luck! After two kids and 3 major belly operations, things dont always run right with the works.

If anyone else has a bad experience or adverse opinion based off thier own personal experience- I would love to hear it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Groan.. it's a sad day when people feel the need to comment about something they are NOT interested in.We all can self diagnose and prescribe according to the internet but it is helpful to hear from those who actually have given it a go rather than those who havent, dont want to and want to make people NOT want to based on thier beliefs.
    Do us a favour and only respond with personal experiences- not with personal views or googled medical responses.

I too am interested. Have tried the prune juice, the garlic, the chilli and the natural laxatives as well as the prescribed drinks from the doctors but still no luck! After two kids and 3 major belly operations, things dont always run right with the works.

If anyone else has a bad experience or adverse opinion based off thier own personal experience- I would love to hear it.

Why do you hate science and qualified professionals?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    goodmorningfriend-1.gif

No. Freaking. Way.
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had three sessions quite a few years ago. I was having IBS like symptoms because of a bad diet. It definitely doesn't affect your weight. You feel cleansed but that's probably in your head because you know you've had something done. It did ease my digestive problems for a short time however only increasing fibre in my diet helped long term.

I've heard that it is recommended for IBS sufferers but I know most health professionals say that it cleans out both good and bad bacteria from your colon/intestine/whatever and that your body should be fine by itself.

My mum's friend at work had it done and cleaned out some massive hair balls from where she had been putting her hair in her mouth.

I'd say unless you have problems with IBS I don't see any other reasons. However it is nice to try new things, wait til it's cheap on groupon.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It is a really good way to flush out good bacteria and end up with an even bigger problem than you had before. If you are having trouble with constipation, try probiotics.

FYI-Stuff doesn't stick to your intestinal walls they way some of these flushes claim they do.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I had it done years ago, afterwards I felt great, like I was walking on air. I had recently returned from a year in China and had been eating nothing but crap, I felt like I needed a complete overhaul and fresh start.
    My only advice would be to research and choose a reputable establishment with qualified professionals (kind of obvious).
    Good luck, don't pay too much attention to the Google warriors :laugh:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I had three sessions quite a few years ago. I was having IBS like symptoms because of a bad diet. It definitely doesn't affect your weight. You feel cleansed but that's probably in your head because you know you've had something done. It did ease my digestive problems for a short time however only increasing fibre in my diet helped long term.

I've heard that it is recommended for IBS sufferers but I know most health professionals say that it cleans out both good and bad bacteria from your colon/intestine/whatever and that your body should be fine by itself.

My mum's friend at work had it done and cleaned out some massive hair balls from where she had been putting her hair in her mouth.

I'd say unless you have problems with IBS I don't see any other reasons. However it is nice to try new things, wait til it's cheap on groupon.

People eat hair? I know people chew on it but they don't swallow it surely!!! gross.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

People eat hair? I know people chew on it but they don't swallow it surely!!! gross.

Oh yes! Trichotillomania.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I guess if your doctor recommends and supervises it, who am I to judge? It's just not something I'd want to do unless it was medically necessary.
    I must add that I saw a documentary on eating disorders once, and they profiled some women who developed a disorder (kinda like bulimia out the other end) where they were addicted to the colonics/enemas and would do them every day at home. :sick:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Ive had a couple of them in the past, Only because I used to eat soooo much sugary cereal, I used to always feel bloated. Really worked well, and done the trick. The lady I saw, was lovely too, chatted the whole way through and made me at ease

Not really a nice feeling, (Like your pooping yourself hahaha) I had pimples on my legs the whole time and felt cold hahahaah!! But yes, It cleanses everything out, and you feel heaps lighter when you come out, I think you have to watch what you eat before and after them for a bit. Also supposed to be good for your skin, hair, health etc...Lots of benefits....

I also had to buy some probiotics after, to put all the good bacteria in you, you keep them in the fridge... She will tell you all this anyway. Alot of food like steak or red meat can be stored in your gut for years and years, as doesnt full digest properly. She will tell you all about the colon, etc....Well I dont have that horrible bloated feeling anymore.... Worked for me and worth every penny, wasnt cheap either!!

Good luck....Let me know how you get on with it!!!

S x