Colonic Hydrotherapy

Options

Replies

• CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'd totally forgotten about this thread. That makes sense, since I participated in it ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO. That appears to have escaped the notice of the person who resurrected it today, then proceeded to send me a private message entitled "Do you have a problem with free will?" Apparently a degree heavy in the physical sciences and a large dollop of common sense is not sufficient. :laugh:

Congratulations to the first person to get message blocked! No, no prize. Sorry. <not>
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Old thread, but....

Our wonderful, miraculous, beautifully tuned bodies do not need any type of cleanse or detox. They do the work all on their own.

Also, the way you lose weight any time is to eat less calories than you burn.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Unbelievable, all the replies from people who have never had it done. No one asked you people. No one cares what you think about it. I might want advice on a tummy tuck, so if I go to a thread about tummy tucks and all I see are people tut-tutting about how bad it is, how it doesn't look good, isn't natural, complications, etc.----FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER DONE IT---I don't get my answer.

No one asked them, and somehow they think they are sooo important that people want to hear their two pesetas. Why not answer on threads that you do have experience with? Who are you trying to convince that it is "quackery", us or yourselves?
    Strong first post. You might want to read the forum guidelines.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable, all the replies from people who have never had it done. No one asked you people. No one cares what you think about it. I might want advice on a tummy tuck, so if I go to a thread about tummy tucks and all I see are people tut-tutting about how bad it is, how it doesn't look good, isn't natural, complications, etc.----FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER DONE IT---I don't get my answer.

No one asked them, and somehow they think they are sooo important that people want to hear their two pesetas. Why not answer on threads that you do have experience with? Who are you trying to convince that it is "quackery", us or yourselves?

You resurected a thread over a year old to say that?????!!

Anyway I dont think taking cocaine is a good idea or shooting oneself in the leg or jumping off a high building or swallowing arsenic or diving into a bee hive - but dont listen to me, I have never actually done any of these things, what would I know? :tongue:
  • SLLRunner
    Options

You resurected a thread over a year old to say that?????!!

Anyway I dont think taking cocaine is a good idea or shooting oneself in the leg or jumping off a high building or swallowing arsenic or diving into a bee hive - but dont listen to me, I have never actually done any of these things, what would I know? :tongue:
    I assume you are talking to the person I quoted? That was my point to her, without coming out and saying it. :smile:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    SLLrunner, I didnt mean you, I meant the person who resurected the thread.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'd totally forgotten about this thread. That makes sense, since I participated in it ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO. That appears to have escaped the notice of the person who resurrected it today, then proceeded to send me a private message entitled "Do you have a problem with free will?" Apparently a degree heavy in the physical sciences and a large dollop of common sense is not sufficient. :laugh:

Congratulations to the first person to get message blocked! No, no prize. Sorry. <not>

I'm also a recipient of a snotty message from them.
    It's against the rules to post it here but we can swap and compare if you wish.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Have either of you tried it and know from experience? I'd love to hear from someone who has had colonic hydrotherapy. thanks.
    Why? Their opinion would be anecdotal at best. Why not refer to actual peer reviewed clinical studies?

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No way in hell would I let someone who's NOT qualified put anything in my butt. How do you even know the instruments are sterile? Blech!

But hey, you want a professional opinion? Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say--

"Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. However, there's little evidence that colon cleansing produces these effects.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems
    If you choose to try colon cleansing, take these precautions:

Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
    Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn't been previously used.
    Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
    Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration."

So good luck with that!

This is why I don't believe everything I read on the internet. My Dr told me to have a colonic done because I have a "slow colon".
    I'd change doctors. If you have a "slow colon" there's either something wrong in your diet, or something wrong in your colon that a colonic doesn't fix.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Holy crap (pun intended) my GI would choke me for doing such a thing. I can hear him now "If you wanted to get cleaned out I could have just ordered you another colonoscopy early!" ... Of course knowing what the prep for that is like I will pass. Once every 5 years is more than enough, thanks. :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A healthy body will is able to detox without expensive cleanses or procedures. It detoxes you on a daily basis. I could see doing hydrotherapy if your digestive system is backed up. But, first you should go to a doctor and figure out whats going on and how to prevent it from happening again.

If you want the same effect without going to see someone then do the colonoscopy prep with miralax. It will clean out your entire digestive system.

I have taken it in the past with no reaction but a rumbly in my tumbly. I also drank a whole bottle of magnesium citrate with just the same reaction. I guess some of us are just full of crap and need a little extra..push....regardless of how healthy we seem. It has been a problem I have dealt with since I was a child. Went a short time thinking I had colon cancer and other serious medical issues. This isn't a joke to me because I take this very seriously. So the people hating on those who want or have had a colonic are just rambling on just to do so, I have actual experience with it and actual health problems that have benefited from having a colonic done.
    Why in the world didn't your doctor recommend you to a gastroenterologist instead of a colon cleanse? Again, I'd question the actual knowledge of the doctor if this wasn't their first approach.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hi,
    Colon Hydrotherapy hydrates the intestinal system. The treatment is a relaxing inner system that helps your program in the cleaning process. It is one of the most effective intestinal system cleaning methods. Digestive tract cleaning carefully eliminates toxins and cleans your program by moving the collected waste out of your program quickly, giving your program a chance to normally redouble on relaxing itself.Accumulated toxins may be absorbed into the system and over time may stress the organs of elimination which are the liver, kidneys, skin, and large intestine. The toxins move around and around in both the lymph system and blood, slowly causing auto-intoxication which then leads to disease.
    Thanks,
    About as legit as redlight therapy for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Journeygirl
    Journeygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had one. They perforated her colon and she almost died. She had to have a colostomy for a while and had to have 2 other surgeries. I don't think it worth the risk.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I can't think of many plastic surgeons who have had tummy tucks, but I'd certainly listen to their expertise on it. Just sayin'.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    cleans your program by moving the collected waste out of your program quickly, giving your program a chance to normally redouble on relaxing itself.

Totally going to call my colon my "program" when I see my GI next time.

I must be tired, because I'm laughing far too much at the idea.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Colon cleanses are unnecessary. It's pseudo-scientific BS. Your body was ridding itself of toxins before you could use a toilet. It knows what it's doing.

Many of these "cleanses" and "flushes" are dangerous.
    Sadly there are some of us that can take a weeks worth of Miralax...and nothing.

I went from never having problems to constant digestive problems since trying to lose weight. I have increased fiber...drank more water....etc...etc. I have taken fiber supplements trying to get regular...hasn't works. So...I go as long as I can in hopes of going naturally and when I don't...I either get out the laxatives or suppositories.

I understand why some might try something so drastic as a colon cleanse...digestive problems affect almost every aspect of your life. The bloating makes you uncomfortable...the constipation becomes painful...and then there is the gas...
    You didn't mention exercise. Have you tried that? Water and exercise are the best ways to keep you regular. The fiber doesn't hurt, either!!

If you're doing all that and still have a problem with constipation (like 4+ days between poops), consider visiting a doctor. Laxatives are okay once in a great while, but not as a regular thing. Before you know it, it's the only way you can go.

Just friendly advice, not a criticism. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    cleans your program by moving the collected waste out of your program quickly, giving your program a chance to normally redouble on relaxing itself.

Totally going to call my colon my "program" when I see my GI next time.

I must be tired, because I'm laughing far too much at the idea.
    No, it's funny. I was thinking, "People need to shove this cleansing stuff up their program." :D
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't normally comment on weight loss nonsense, but on page one:
    I imagine it's on the job training.

That is the funniest thing I've read this morning. Thank you.