Logging 'food preparation?' /rant

Options

Replies

• dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've logged cleaning before. You try breaking down a tree for over an hour at a time. This was not something I do on a daily basis, but occording to your reasoning, " cleaning" isn't exercise. Have you ever been over 300lbs? Do you know how hard it is for some people to do certain activities that you deem as "daily"? No. Why don't you just delete them? If they are losing their weight, what's it to you how they exercise? I don't consider my job, that consists of standing/walking for 8+ hours at a time and lifting 50+ lbs of weight exercise, but another person might log that they walked for 20 minutes. By your logic, this isn't exercise because I do it on a daily basis. Someone that works on a farm bails hay on a daily basis, and yet someone else might find it an exercise to help a friend do the same thing, because their body isn't accustomed to it. Also, I must state that Sedentary means that you take less than 6000 steps a day. It doesn't mean only your work life! That is just an example used by MFP, because most peo ple in the US only get physical activity in at work.

Say what? Breaking down as tree is cleaning?! You have a tree in your house?

I think what the OP (and many many others) have been trying to say is that you got fat when you did cleaning, continuing to do cleaning is not what is going to make you lose weight.

I think some people just need to get real and I, for one, am not going to cheerlead when they are setting themselves up for failure (raynavee - this last bit is not actually directed at you!)
  • DonnaBee2013
    Options
    I'm fairly new here, but I have to say I'm disappointed with some of the harsh, judgmental things being said about people when you don't know their circumstances, their health or medical issues, or anything else about them, for that matter.

I personally don't log anything I do throughout the day because I was doing these things when I gained the weight, but that doesn't mean it's the same scenario for someone else. Perhaps that person didn't (or couldn't) clean, cook, walk upstairs, do laundry, or whatever else you're complaining about them logging.

These people need support. They don't need to be mocked or made fun of.

I find this whole thread pathetic and pointless.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If they have their activity levels set at sedentary then everything they do above and beyond sitting IS exercise.

Yup. Since BMR is calories for survival, anything above that is spent energy and could be logged for anyone interested.

I generally only log movement like walking or exercise that takes time.

Just peronsal preference.

Deep breath and let it go.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Some people have vastly variable activity levels from day to day. To account for that, they set MFP at 'sedentary', and then log everything they do. It's just another way of figuring out your TDEE, and learning how much you can eat based on how much you do. That's why I did it when I first started, and it taught me a lot. Now I don't need to anymore.

Everyone starts at different levels of self-awareness, and not everyone can hit the right calories for their activity straight away without having them laid out for them.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't think general, every day food prep should be logged, but to each their own. Unless you're not the one in your home who usually cooks, in which case it would be a bit abnormal and may be okay to log. However, when I was standing on my feet for 12 hours over the course of two days baking Christmas cookies...I did log that as food prep. Talk about sore.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hey, so as I warned this is a rant... I want your opinions on this.

I have seen people logging food preparation, washing dishes, even 2mins walking up stairs. Is this getting a bit ridiculous? I see those everyday actions as being part of my net personally.

Should I log it every time I use the bathroom? And add extra calories if it's a little more difficult than usual? Like seriously people, be realistic... unless you are doing a strenuous amount of housework I don't see why this should be logged. But do prove me wrong, please, I'd like to giggle at the reasoning.

Cheers,

A grumpy Aussie

My, you are grumpy. Why so grumpy? Live and let live. It's easier on your psyche.
  • dowesney
    dowesney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it bothers you. But it is people like you that keep me convinced to keep my diary private. As far as WHY some do it....

I log food preparation if it is something out of the ordinary that takes extra time. For instance, in preparing for a big meal may involve me pacing around the kitchen for 20 minutes, lifting heavy pans, squatting to put things away. I am in constant motion. These types of big meals are not my 'norm' and they do burn extra calories to prepare.

I log cleaning if it is a non-stop session of 30 minutes or more. This again involves me being in constant motion and usually with dozens of trips up and down stairs to put things away. It is a workout in itself. Again, this is not a regular occurrence in my sedentary desk-job life, so I log the calories burned.

Since I struggle with getting enough calories each day, it's important to log anything that is above the norm so I can up my intake. Since it is working for me, I am not going to change my habits just because it annoys some posters here.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've logged food prep a couple of times when I didn't know WTH I was doing so I was running back and forth in the kitchen and between various pots because I didn't have the sense to plan before I got started with a new and somewhat complicated recipe.

Generally though I don't log normal daily activities. However, if I do super heavy cleaning, or if I go do a lot of hard work in the yard I will sometimes log that.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen that - pretty funny...

Maybe it was something super intense, like butchering a camel.

Or grinding sausage meat by hand.

Or squeezing a tonne of oranges by hand.

Or pulping grapes for wine by stamping on them.

Or kneading a massive amount of dough for one hour.

Or...ok, I'm just getting carried away now. I don't actually think it was any of those things, but it was fun to think about what would be worth logging.

you eat camel?

I would eat camel

Chances are you have if you live in UK and eat processed meals!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If they have their activity levels set at sedentary then everything they do above and beyond sitting IS exercise.

Yup. Since BMR is calories for survival, anything above that is spent energy and could be logged for anyone interested.

Once again, no. Sedentary and BMR are two different things.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Hey, so as I warned this is a rant... I want your opinions on this.

I have seen people logging food preparation, washing dishes, even 2mins walking up stairs. Is this getting a bit ridiculous? I see those everyday actions as being part of my net personally.

Should I log it every time I use the bathroom? And add extra calories if it's a little more difficult than usual? Like seriously people, be realistic... unless you are doing a strenuous amount of housework I don't see why this should be logged. But do prove me wrong, please, I'd like to giggle at the reasoning.

Cheers,

A grumpy Aussie

And? Perhaps they have their diaries set to Sedentary (as in just laying in bed all day doing nothing) and want to see just how many calories they expend versus take in. I have a friend that does it and she has lost an good deal amount of weight... she looks amazing! I have no problem with it. You aren't the first, nor will you be the last, with this rant... but it is definitely a petty one as I am sure you have no idea where their settings are set at.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Should I log it every time I use the bathroom? And add extra calories if it's a little more difficult than usual?

:laugh:
  • mrfrodogetdown
    mrfrodogetdown Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If they feel the need to log it, good for them. Maybe it gives them motivation to see some calories burnt. Maybe they don't normally do cleaning, or food prep, or don't normally take the stairs. If you don't like seeing it, unfriend them. It's easy.

Good for you for judging them. Always nice to see people being down on people who are trying to make a positive life change.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some people have vastly variable activity levels from day to day. To account for that, they set MFP at 'sedentary', and then log everything they do. It's just another way of figuring out your TDEE, and learning how much you can eat based on how much you do. That's why I did it when I first started, and it taught me a lot. Now I don't need to anymore.

Everyone starts at different levels of self-awareness, and not everyone can hit the right calories for their activity straight away without having them laid out for them.

^^ THIS!!
  • briannakaechele
    Options
    Not sure if someone has posted this article or not, I didn't take the time to read the whole thread. But I found this interesting and thought I would share.

http://deadspin.com/5978620/you-have-to-work-out-to-get-a-workout

Enjoy!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I used to count when I cooked because I'd wear my HRM and do jumping jacks and run in place too. Just plain cooking, I wouldn't log. I'm also set as sedentary, which means no activity at all. Technically, you could log like everything you do when you're moving around.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I've logged cleaning before. You try breaking down a tree for over an hour at a time. This was not something I do on a daily basis, but occording to your reasoning, " cleaning" isn't exercise. Have you ever been over 300lbs? Do you know how hard it is for some people to do certain activities that you deem as "daily"? No. Why don't you just delete them? If they are losing their weight, what's it to you how they exercise? I don't consider my job, that consists of standing/walking for 8+ hours at a time and lifting 50+ lbs of weight exercise, but another person might log that they walked for 20 minutes. By your logic, this isn't exercise because I do it on a daily basis. Someone that works on a farm bails hay on a daily basis, and yet someone else might find it an exercise to help a friend do the same thing, because their body isn't accustomed to it. Also, I must state that Sedentary means that you take less than 6000 steps a day. It doesn't mean only your work life! That is just an example used by MFP, because most peo ple in the US only get physical activity in at work.

Say what? Breaking down as tree is cleaning?! You have a tree in your house?

I think what the OP (and many many others) have been trying to say is that you got fat when you did cleaning, continuing to do cleaning is not what is going to make you lose weight.

I think some people just need to get real and I, for one, am not going to cheerlead when they are setting themselves up for failure (raynavee - this last bit is not actually directed at you!)

reply to the bolded part... Um no, you didn't get fat while cleaning... you got fat while taking in more calories than you expend. If I burn 2200 calories doing my day to day activities (ie going to work, cleaning, etc.) and taken in 2800 calories I am going to get fat. While that is a simplistic approach it is still true for the most part.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't log anything that I would have done when I was getting fatter - it did not stop me from getting fat - so why on earth would it now help me get thin!!

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

but I agree they are only cheating themselves if they are trying to "earn" more calorie intake.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything other than actual exercise, but what other people do is not my business.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    The only time I would log that is if it was some major like ...an entire batch of homemade pasta/pierogies/ravioli.... something that was a lot of work. I WILL admit to adding housework if I just don't want to see red in my numbers and it's less than 50 or so calories. I'll run the vacuum and log it as housework. :P

That said, I don't care if other people do it. It's none of my business.