Deadlifting Beginner

Options
I want to incorporate deadlifting and I was wondering the safest amount of weight is to start. I'm 41 and 180 lbs. Pretty strong but I want to be smart about this and not cause injury. Not really sure on reps or progression either. Too much confusing info on the websites. Thanks!! :happy:

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Start with the empty bar (45#) and get your form down. Add 5 or 10 lbs each time you lift.
    There are a lot of videos on deadlift form on YouTube. Check a few of them out.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You might also want to start with Sumo Deadlifts. They are a bit easier when you are learning proper form. Also, if you're not using the "big wheel" weights, make sure you have the bar raised up off the floor to start.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    See this - http://youtu.be/GW3QD1VoHUM

A bit rough and ready but you get the picture :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Start with the empty bar (45#) and get your form down. Add 5 or 10 lbs each time you lift.
    There are a lot of videos on deadlift form on YouTube. Check a few of them out.

this...

I would also say that once you start adding weight..when you get comfortable in 6-8 rep range it is time to bump the weight up...i usually try and add 10lbs to my DL every two weeks..am up to 315# now....
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Wear a weight lifting belt, protect your back at all cost
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 has you start out with 95 lbs and doing 1 set of 5. You progress up 10 pounds the next time (which is every other workout) if you complete the set successfully.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

...not necessary.

Lift properly with good form.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Stand in front of the bar with your feet about shoulder width apart and with your feet pointing slightly outward.

Squat down as if you are about to jump, and allow your shins to touch the bar.

Grip the bar firmly with your hands just outside of your legs. Many of us use a mixed grip - one palm facing inward and one outward.

Allow your back to arch slightly, your shoulders pinched, chest up and butt down.

Focus on the wall or mirror directly in front of you, and ease yourself into the lift using your legs.

Once the bar is above your knees, push with your hips and glutes as if you are pushing through the bar and come to a fully erect position with your shoulders back.

Warm up with the bar. As for weight, I'd suggest starting with a weight that you can comfortably lift but enough to provide some resistance. Then as the poster above said, add weight every time.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

...not necessary.

Lift properly with good form.

This x1000!!!

Form is Key on the deadlift, a Belt and bad form will hurt just as much as bad form with no belt. I use my belt on top lifts only (180KG+) but my form is always the same as my warmups.

Youtube - Look for Westside BB, Eric Creasey, Dave Tate, T-Nation, EliteFTS
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm just about in the same boat. I'm 42 and 178. I've been weight training off and on over years.

Only difference is I've had 4 lower back surgeries. Lately I've wanted to attempt incorporating deadlifts. I watched a ton of YT vids because proper form is a MUST for me.

This vid is a few years old, but the guy goes in to great detail explaining form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I want to incorporate deadlifting and I was wondering the safest amount of weight is to start. I'm 41 and 180 lbs. Pretty strong but I want to be smart about this and not cause injury. Not really sure on reps or progression either. Too much confusing info on the websites. Thanks!! :happy:

i started at 30k - thats the 20k bar + 5k plates
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    yeah I definitely wouldn't learn with a belt - it may lead to you developing a bad habit.

I personally like the starting strength rippetoe youtube video - its like 5 min and teaches the technique better IMO the like 8 part eliteFTS video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

but yeah like others have said - start light and work your way up, just use the bar and add 10s and work your way up
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Never used one and I am about to break #500. Never have had a sore back. Form is key.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I started with 60kg, 20kg bar and a 20kg plate on each side.
    Otherwise you'll have to prop the weights so the bar has a higher starting position.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I weigh 120 lbs and can deadlift 120 lbs (sorry had to mention that since its a recent personal best! :) ). I find I feel a deadlift mostly in my core, which I'm told by my trainer is a good thing. The core (your abs) are amazing at protecting your back, so if your doing it properly there is no need for a belt!. If you have a strong core you should be able to do deadlifts no problem and progress pretty rapidly I would think. Goodluck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I started using the bar only and don't use a belt. Just focus on form, I found that if my back starts to hurt then I have the bar too far in front of me. I glide it up my legs (now realize why all the guys wear pants when weight lifting, to hide the nasty bruises they get from doing that) and make sure when I go down the bar is at least over my toes.

NROLW has all those exercises in detail, and is a really good read. I suggest buying the book or checking it out from the library if they have it.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    *Bump*

Great thread OP, full of great information.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I agree- no belt unless you are lifting near max weight.

If you are just starting with the bar, sit it on something to get it high enough (to simulate having 45lb plates on the bar)

Don't worry about sumo deads when starting. They make it easier because you don't have to lift the bar as far. Great for competitive lifting, but a conventional stance works you harder. Lifting is supposed to be hard. When I was competing I used a sumo stance but all of my training up to a few weeks out from the meet was done with a conventional stance.

Form is key, so practice, video yourself if you can, compare to videos of good form, adjust as needed.
  • newfette81
    Options
    bump
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

No.

They can do more harm than good.

Not using the belt will work your core also.

Let the power lifters and Olympic lifters use belts - they know what they're doing. For the rest of us, we are much better off without them.