Deadlifting Beginner

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Start with the empty bar (45#) and get your form down. Add 5 or 10 lbs each time you lift.
    There are a lot of videos on deadlift form on YouTube. Check a few of them out.

This.

/thread
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Wear a weight lifting belt, protect your back at all cost

...not necessary.

Lift properly with good form.

Exactly...belts provide a false sense of security. Never wear a belt--practice good form!!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i would suggest starting with just the bar and stacking some plates on the sides so that it starts at the proper height. Make sure you get your form down before you start adding weight. I just did my deadlifts on Monday and i got 185# as my personal best if we are throwing those out there...
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This helped me significantly with my form when starting out as I struggled with upper back rounding. If you lift at a gym, get one of the instructors to demonstrate and watch you when first starting out.

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    I started with 135lbs after having already lifted ~3 months
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Bump... quite interested in starting myself! :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This helped me significantly with my form when starting out as I struggled with upper back rounding. If you lift at a gym, get one of the instructors to demonstrate and watch you when first starting out.

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

Be careful on this. Because of my body mechanics and flexibility I actually have to have the bar closer to my toes than mid foot. It's important when you're in the whole before starting the lift that your shins don't knock the bar forward (quad dominant stocky folks like myself tend to need the bar a bit further out). Make sure the bar rises straight, that your arms are parallel so you aren't lifting the bar further than you have to (this will govern foot spacing too for conventional pulls), and that you have solid hip hinge explosiveness.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Women: How many pounds are you deadlifting? I just started deads this month and cant find the right poundage for me.

I started at 30 lbs and i have been bumping it up 10 pounds each week- currently at 60 lbs but i think its still way too light. However i also know if i try to lift too heavy my form may slip and i could hurt my back.

So what are ya'll lifting?? Im not a beginning at weight lifting- just a beginner with deads
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i am not a women but if you can easily do 8 reps then the weight is too light and you should bump up. If you can do 8 @ 60# easy then bump up to 70 if you can still do 8 then go to 80...stop adding weight when you are strugling to get to four...in my opinion...
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you, and I don't deadlift because of possible back injuries. Just my opinion so I am sure someone will jump up and disagree, but i would stay away from them unless you plan on becoming a powerlifter...
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Women: How many pounds are you deadlifting? I just started deads this month and cant find the right poundage for me.

I started at 30 lbs and i have been bumping it up 10 pounds each week- currently at 60 lbs but i think its still way too light. However i also know if i try to lift too heavy my form may slip and i could hurt my back.

So what are ya'll lifting?? Im not a beginning at weight lifting- just a beginner with deads

After about 12 weeks of doing Stronglifts off and on I can pull 170# for 5 reps. I started at 95# as the program recommends, but felt it was too light and added 10# each time until I failed. If you think it's too light, add another 5-10 until you fail at 5 reps.

My absolute, non-professional, newbie lifter opinion of what worked for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you, and I don't deadlift because of possible back injuries. Just my opinion so I am sure someone will jump up and disagree, but i would stay away from them unless you plan on becoming a powerlifter...

Just had to put in here that my wife had the same fear when she first started lifting. This was primarily due to the fact that she had a very real back injury, and had spent the last five years in pain every day. Well, I finally talked her into shoving off her doctor's 'advice' and to start deadlifting. She's now up to a 205 PR at a bodyweight of 141, and her back pain has been gone for months. Granted, she was miserable the first couple of weeks, but once she got through that initial weakness, she's been pain free in the lower back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I disagree...deadlifts are a fundamental exercies that everyone should build their program around..whether you are a beginner or advanced trainer...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Stand in front of the bar with your feet about shoulder width apart and with your feet pointing slightly outward.

Squat down as if you are about to jump, and allow your shins to touch the bar.

Grip the bar firmly with your hands just outside of your legs. Many of us use a mixed grip - one palm facing inward and one outward.

Allow your back to arch slightly, your shoulders pinched, chest up and butt down.

Focus on the wall or mirror directly in front of you, and ease yourself into the lift using your legs.

Once the bar is above your knees, push with your hips and glutes as if you are pushing through the bar and come to a fully erect position with your shoulders back.

Warm up with the bar. As for weight, I'd suggest starting with a weight that you can comfortably lift but enough to provide some resistance. Then as the poster above said, add weight every time.

i aree with this. I am in week 3 of heavy lifting and I hard to start low (I had a nerve injury in my left side that caused strength loss). I think the rule of thumb is lift enough weight that you are spent by the last rep (no more than 15 - but 15 reps is a good place to begin to strengthen ligaments too). So, I get to my 15th rep and feel like there is no way I can do one more. That is your indicator that you used enough weight. Up the weight every time you do the workout by 5 or 10 pounds (or more if you can) and lower the reps about every 2 weeks. (So, week 1, 15 reps till spent, week 2 15 reps but wth more weight until spent, week 3 fewer reps with even more weight - 12 is what I did and felt spent on the 12th rep.) keep that pattern.

I started with just the olympic bar (45#) and in week 3 I am deadlifting 75# for 12 reps x2 sets. I will move to 95 pounds this week for 12 reps and next week the reps go down and the weigh goes up again.

I also think you should add barbell squats
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Oh, and I just had to add the following question. Can you think of a more practical use of strength than picking up heavy *kitten* things off of the ground? Most people deadlift things every day, without even thinking of it as deadlifting. :wink:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Total beginner here. 5'3", 162#
    Started at 50# (was scared), jumped to 80# the next workout, then 87# (includes the bar weight), then 97#, then 102# today. Back is not sore.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Wrong. Just so wrong.

I'm 47. And I know lots of guys older than me that deadlift. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that our backs are a lot healthier than yours.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    DEADLIFTS! Tied for first in my favorite exercises with squats. I applaud you for wanting to incorporate them esp since not many women do them. But I agree with everyone else, start off slow, get good form, and dont wear a belt.

In addition, some rounding of upper back is ok (some ppl may disagree), hook grip from the beginning (no straps), and use chalk! Other than that have fun!
  • CidCecilia
    Options
    How many sets do you people in this thread do? I'm currently doing 5x5, yet with very light weights (at 15 kg atm). However, working my way up to 8 reps 5 sets seems harsh...