super hungry if I eat breakfast

Options

Replies

• rachlat
    Options
    YOu need to eat breakfast to kick start your metabolism and thus start the fat burning process. We need to eat three proper meals a day and have at least a couple of snacks in between. If you feed your diet properly you will lose weight easily. You need to eat during your active hours when you are burning it off NOT at night when you sit down and store it as fat because you go to sleep.
  • Oakley82
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I have literally never in my life eaten breakfast, unless its a "brunch" on rare weekends. Listen to your body. I read on here once someone saying something along the lines of "I think of my stomach as a sleeping beast, why wake it?" If I eat breakfast at 8:00 AM I am starving ALL DAY. I tried to start eating breakfast because of the whole "starting your metabolism" thing, and I just THOUGHT it was the best thing because it does work for most people. I actually gained weight when I did that. I'm also a night eater. Now, I just eat "breakfast" at noon, dinner when I get off work at 5:00 and a small something (something one would normally eat for breakfast like oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, etc) around 8:30. It works a lot better for me. I've learned this whole lifestyle is a lot of trial and error.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast Person. I usually eat maybe like a small homemade pumpkin waffle or toast with pb and banana at around 10. Breakfast is just not my meal. I like my coffee in the morning though!

I do tend to make a mean green juice or a smoothie in the mornings I get nutrients that way ink a blast that make me feel great and keep me moving till l inch at 2
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    It took a while for me to adapt, but I thought of my breakfast as two-parts. I split a bagel with my wife with a cup of coffee, cream no sugar. This is about 225-250 calories. Then I had fruit ready for 2-3 hours later. It still kept my breakfast in the 300-325 range and helped me feel full until lunch.

I'll also substitute the 1/2 bagel for Greek yogurt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    YOu need to eat breakfast to kick start your metabolism and thus start the fat burning process. We need to eat three proper meals a day and have at least a couple of snacks in between. If you feed your diet properly you will lose weight easily. You need to eat during your active hours when you are burning it off NOT at night when you sit down and store it as fat because you go to sleep.

this is just wrong on so many levels...

Meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. You do not need to "snack" or "graze" or whatever they call it. My larget meal is post work out which is usually night or evening. I have been doing this for five months and lost three percent body fat. Also, if you eat a high protein meal later in the evening your body is still breaking that protein down about four hours later and guess what, this actually increases your metabolism becase your body works harder to break down protein.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    as for the high protein high car bcomments for breakfast..

when I was eating breakfast I was housing down one to to servings of oatmeal AND four eggs and four egg whites and was still starving by 10:30....maybe it is just me but that did not work for me...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    as for the high protein high car bcomments for breakfast..

when I was eating breakfast I was housing down one to to servings of oatmeal AND four eggs and four egg whites and was still starving by 10:30....maybe it is just me but that did not work for me...

The key for me isn't the protein, its almost certainly the fat - nonfat yogurt didn't work nearly as well as full-fat dairy in the morning.
  • bgalindo5
    bgalindo5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When you eat breakfast you're boosting your metabolism for the day, which is a good thing. I would not recommend on skipping breakfast but bring a snack for when you're hungry. I normally eat every 2 hrs with my first meal at around 545am - 6am and my second meal (or snack) at 8am.
  • lmcmassage
    Options
    I find myself very full after a small meal..But at the end of day I have remaining calories. Do I still eat to complete my calorie intake? I am clueless now
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you eat something in the morning that spikes your blood sugar, your blood sugar will then drop a couple hours later and you'll feel like you're starving. While a donut (or anything like that) will spike and drop your blood sugar for anyone, different people are more sensitive than others--for some people having some protein with their oatmeal means they're fine, but for others having virtually any carbs will cause the spike and drop.

If you want to eat breakfast and don't like feeling starving a couple hours later, trying lowering the carbs of your breakfast (and upping the fats, too, that can really help) until you get to a place where you're happy.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    I found i was so hungry by 10:00 aslo. Until someone told me to eat protien of some kind. I had a huge egg white omlette with green peppers, onions and mushrooms. I was stuffed and stayed full right up until lunch.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    When you eat breakfast you're boosting your metabolism for the day, which is a good thing. I would not recommend on skipping breakfast but bring a snack for when you're hungry. I normally eat every 2 hrs with my first meal at around 545am - 6am and my second meal (or snack) at 8am.

With all due respect, I disagree. Meal timing and metabolism are not related..
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

With all due respect, I disagree. Meal timing and metabolism are not related..

I concur. I dont eat until 10am or later because i am not hungry. My metabolism is fairly high- once i do start eating i am hungry every 3 hrs so i make that first meal protein-laden (greek yogurt)
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Stanford U did a study on eating and body timing.
    They put different groups on the same calories but the instructions differed on when they ate their calories.
    One group ate it all for breakfast, another; for lunch, another; for dinner.
    A fourth group ate 3 balanced meals.
    The last group grazed all day long.

Which group lost the most weight?
    Wrong!
    Which group lost the least weight? Supper
    Ok, now which group lost the most weight? Breakfast

They also found that the body also utilizes exercise the same way.
    Exercise is more effective in the morning for losing weight.

Interesting meds taken at night are more effective.
    If you are just exercising to keep strong, not necessarily for weight loss, any time is fine.
  • ppar73
    Options
    I definitely would not skip breakfast but as others have noted wait till 10A. Also for that "breakfast" meal make it a protein with 1 cup of warm water and or coffee; this will slow your digestion and give you nutrition until lunch. You can skip breakfast but what you will be doing is bypassing the insulin that is in your system and may wind up with a head ach by the time you eat your next meal. It also depends on your age as to what you should eat when. If you are younger then these insulin changes may not have an effect on you (at least not now) but will set you up later for deficiencies. Breakfast should always be a naturally high fiber 100% grain carb with a high protein to feed you through. This is why as another person mentioned his Greek Yogurt gets him through his morning. Greek yogurt, a boiled egg or handful of coca roasted almonds is so beneficial right around 10A. Use this rule Breakfast like a king, lunch like a peasant and supper like a pauper. There are several hormonal changes and adjustments however, please take caution that men are different than women and age matters...do not do anything now that will adversely affect success in the future.
    have a great time and yes eat what you love
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    So I didnt read all the replies but thats kinda the whole point of breakfast. Youre breaking the fast and starting your metabolism back up. Youre hungry by ten then have a snack...keep your metabolism rolling like this. Being hingry is good! It means your metabolism is reved up!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Stanford U did a study on eating and body timing.
    They put different groups on the same calories but the instructions differed on when they ate their calories.
    One group ate it all for breakfast, another; for lunch, another; for dinner.
    A fourth group ate 3 balanced meals.
    The last group grazed all day long.

Which group lost the most weight?
    Wrong!
    Which group lost the least weight? Supper
    Ok, now which group lost the most weight? Breakfast

They also found that the body also utilizes exercise the same way.
    Exercise is more effective in the morning for losing weight.

Interesting meds taken at night are more effective.
    If you are just exercising to keep strong, not necessarily for weight loss, any time is fine.

do you have a link to this study? I would like to see what methods they used.

As noted on the lean gains site if you eat six times a day it produces small "metabolic" spike; however, if you eat several large meals you get the metabolic spike for longer becuase it takes your body longer to digest a protein rich meal...you can find the studies at www.leangains.com

I have been skipping breakfast for five months and lost 3% body fat...so my experience does not concur with the study.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So I didnt read all the replies but thats kinda the whole point of breakfast. Youre breaking the fast and starting your metabolism back up. Youre hungry by ten then have a snack...keep your metabolism rolling like this. Being hingry is good! It means your metabolism is reved up!

I swear I need a buzzer that will just pop and say "WRONG!"....
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Eating protein in the morning will help you stay full longer. If I skip breakfsat I don't hit 1200 calories a day. So I have to eat it. Hard boiled eggs with avocado (on a lettuce leaf! YUM!) and toast with jam most mornings and my coffee. Carbs and protien. I'm never hungry though. I do eat every 2-3 hours on weekdays, but it's becuase I sit at a desk and remind myself too. I make shakes soemtimes too adding flax seed to them really fills me up. I stopped with the protein powder, because I stopped losing weight when I started using it. 1st step to heath is to get this weight off.

Weekends are all over the place.. I miss my goals more on weekends then on weekdays. Because I skip and I'm not home to eat as often and my guy and I are on totally different meal shecudles, so I end up trying to eat when he's hungry instead of when I am. which means I don't eat much OR I eat way to much and it's never as healthy as my own food.

I subscribe to the breakfast is important mentality.. it is for me at least.. but if you're going ot eat it, eat something substancial. Otherwise it really doens't do anything for you, but add calories to your day.
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I go with a protein shake in the morning. No stomach-expanding heavy carb-loaded breakfast for me! :)

(NOTE: Stomach may not actually expand when eating carbs. See doctor for details or if you experience sudden blindness.)