When your weight loss stalled what did you change

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I didn't change a thing. I always had a 500 calorie deficit every single day. 500 cal deficit a day = 3500 cals = 1 pound lost a week. i knew what i was doing was EXACTLY the right way so as long as i kept doing it eventually it would catch up with the loss. I would go on 3-4 weeks stints where no loss. It ALWAYS caught up around week 4 and would actually be a 4 pound loss where even like week 2 would be a gain of .1 but in the end as long as you are not lying to yourself and really are eating the amount recorded and not overestimating your exercise your body will catch up. The body doesn't like losing weight... it's fuel. Nature wants us to be at whatever weight we are, if not heavier so using science of calories your body has to give in eventually. a lot of people don't record a "bite" here and a "bite" there... those add up and can hurt too. I was consistent and overall lost 1 pound a week even with snags here and there. if you are truly having a calorie deficit your body WILL lose the weight (barring medical issues of course).

I just keep telling myself this every day. No giving up - just stick to the plan. It will come off eventually. It just will.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, added protein, reduced fat, and added carbs (good ones) to help my muscle. I NEVER eat the same amount of calories everyday. My weight loss is a lifestyle change so everyday is different. I just had a rough two months and could not figure out why my weight was maintaining and not dropping....I reviewed my calories, workouts, etc., found the problem and regrouped. I eat too many bad carbs, but one day at a time that will change.

Also if you have had 3-5lbs of loss quickly your body will slow down as your muscle builds and your inches decline. While I maintained my weight the last two months, I dropped an entire pants size.

Good Luck and keep moving forward - You will succeed.
  • autopilot_on
    Options
    Everybody's body is different so please take my comment with a grain of salt. (no more than that because you don't want to OD on sodium) For me when I slowed or even stopped, there were a couple of things.

1. Change your workouts. Do them in a different order, do them longer or shorter, or at different times of the day if you can. Do SOMETHING different for exercise.

2. Change your calorie intake. For me I was eating too little. When I increased my calorie intake I started losing weight suddenly. This is something that should be adjusted based on your BMI and the amount of exercise you're doing regularly.

3. Get rid of as much processed food as possible! Whole foods = healthy foods. Remember that food is fuel, so you want it in its purest form. No sense in putting a whole load of preservatives in your body. You don't WANT the food to be preserved in your body, you want your body to BURN IT!

Good luck! Keep pushing hard and you WILL succeed!
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options
    I changed my setting to loosing one lb per week instead of 2, eating back more of my exercise calories and started upping my weight training with much less focus on cardio. According to MFP I should have been loosing 5+ lbs a week with the low calorie intake and intense workouts and sometimes I wasnt even loosing anything during the week. I realized that either something was drastically wrong with my metabolism or I wasnt eating enough food. I was working my body like a well trained athlete and feeding it like bird. I am seeing much greater results now that I actually feed my body. I also switched from consuming all my calories in a 4-6 hr window (intermittent fasting) to eating different times everyday. My body is definately thanking me for my care. I LOVE hearing everyones feedback and think that even though the feedback is helpfull for the wealth of ideas, it also shows there is no one right way or formula that works for everybody. The key for me is staying in tune with my body's needs and being willing, open and diligent enough to make the changes needed. I really love working out and eating clean. I spend 2-3 hours at the gym 4 days a week and make it my playground by pushing my body a little further and in different direction each time. I think the major factor for me is finding a way that is fun, exciting and challenging. The end goal for all of us is health and happiness yet I see so many people struggle through the journey when the journey has the potential to be the best part :wink:
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    awesome thank you
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    bump
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit a plateau yet since I'm just starting out (again.) The last time I plateaued, I eliminated a lot of processed foods and the weight started to come off again.
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I didn't change a thing. I always had a 500 calorie deficit every single day. 500 cal deficit a day = 3500 cals = 1 pound lost a week. i knew what i was doing was EXACTLY the right way so as long as i kept doing it eventually it would catch up with the loss. I would go on 3-4 weeks stints where no loss. It ALWAYS caught up around week 4 and would actually be a 4 pound loss where even like week 2 would be a gain of .1 but in the end as long as you are not lying to yourself and really are eating the amount recorded and not overestimating your exercise your body will catch up. The body doesn't like losing weight... it's fuel. Nature wants us to be at whatever weight we are, if not heavier so using science of calories your body has to give in eventually. a lot of people don't record a "bite" here and a "bite" there... those add up and can hurt too. I was consistent and overall lost 1 pound a week even with snags here and there. if you are truly having a calorie deficit your body WILL lose the weight (barring medical issues of course).

I just keep telling myself this every day. No giving up - just stick to the plan. It will come off eventually. It just will.

it will... if you are honest and recording it will definitely happen.. i lost 44 pounds and have kept it off for over a year and a half now :-) you got this!!! and just know... it WILL catch up :-) and good luck!
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gingerenderly
    Options
    I lovethis post. Well said!
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Great answer! For those who stay the course you WILL lose the weight on a deficite eventually and more so if you are exercising. Many times people are just not honest with their numbers and sometimes not patient enough to wait on their bodies to show the results. If you are putting in the work your body WILL reward you with results!
  • bushokie
    Options
    great info thanks
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i had lost steadily for 5 months at 1200 calories, and then my weight loss stalled for 2 weeks. Not a big deal- 2 weeks is hardly anything, but my husband and I were away overnight and I ended up eating much more than I usually do. I still ate healthy choices, but I think when I added it up it was around 2000 for the day.
    The next day, I was back to my normal routine. WHen I weighed myself, nothing had changed, as usual, but then it just started dropping off again.
    I don't know if the extra calories jump started something or what, but I hadn't had a cheat day in a long time so... that may have done it.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The first time I stalled (last August) I added an intense circuit-type training to my exercise routine. I also purchased a HRM so I could accurately track how many calories I was burning. Once I got a more accurate read of my calories burned I started eating more (I am in the "I eat back all my exercise calories" club). I am suffering from a stall right now (Have lost 2 pounds since before the holidays. BLAH!). For the last week, I have just eaten until fully satisfied with a few treats thrown in here and there. Interestingly enough, my pants feel noticeable looser today. Friday is my weigh in day and I am curious if this has kickstarted my weight loss.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My plateau lasted from August 2012 until Jan 2013...For the first 4 months of it, I didn't change a thing. I kept telling myself that it would eventually come off if I stuck to the plan. I went the gym for my usual work outs, I ate my usual number of calories, and I drank water like crazy. :drinker:

Shortly after Christmas I realized my weight was not moving and had not moved for months. Ugh. :sad:

Then along comes January:
    I didn't hit the gym a single day in January. Instead, I took short 30 minute walks during my lunch break, 3-4 days a week. I also completed a half marathon on January 20 and then completed a Super Spartan race 6 days later. The half marathon was 13 miles and the Super Spartan was 8 miles, so a total of 21 miles in a week (major increase from my usual 3-5 miles a week). Oh yea, and I moved from one place to another on January 12, so leading up to that was A LOT of packing of boxes (and unpacking of boxes after the move).

By the end of January I had lost 10 lbs and now I'm back to losing about 1 lb a week.

Yay! :bigsmile:
  • elissiara
    elissiara Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I spent the last three months staying the same weight so at the start of the week I upped my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400 and I have already dropped 4lbs in five days!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    posting here so i can come back tot his when i hit that.
  • Khole02
    Options
    I was slacking a little bit when I lost the majority of my weight cutting down on my cardio. Now I upped my calories and more intense cardio and certain days I have targeted areas so focus on (i.e: Monday Back / Bicep Day Tuesday:Tricep/ Chest ect) . But that is just what worked for me ! : )
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!