Are you a horder or a thrower-a-wayer?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I am a TOTAL "throw it away" kind of person. I'm happiest when the stereo is blaring and I'm gathering old junk in boxes and bags to be donated. My husband is a hoarder and it makes me insane! He even will go through bags that I am donating and will pull stuff out!:grumble:

A few years ago I went to throw away a broken radio that he had 20 years ago and freaked out on me saying "You can't throw THAT out! I'm going to fix it!" Well, needless to say he never did fix it and I finally threw it out! I hate hate hate clutter and he loves clutter. We're total opposites when it comes to keeping junk!:huh:

So are you a throw it away person or a hoarder????:smile:

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a throw-awayer. I keep very little and regularly purge and recycle. I tend to move a lot and that's a good time to get rid of stuff.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't hoard, but I sure like to use items to their fullest.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I am a TOTAL "throw it away" kind of person. I'm happiest when the stereo is blaring and I'm gathering old junk in boxes and bags to be donated. My husband is a hoarder and it makes me insane! He even will go through bags that I am donating and will pull stuff out!:grumble:

A few years ago I went to throw away a broken radio that he had 20 years ago and freaked out on me saying "You can't throw THAT out! I'm going to fix it!" Well, needless to say he never did fix it and I finally threw it out! I hate hate hate clutter and he loves clutter. We're total opposites when it comes to keeping junk!:huh:

You sure sound like my wife.

I still have the first computer I ever got (an Atari 400), and have one room in the basement totally devoted to spare computer parts. My wife is constantly trying to throw it all out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a hoarder but Hubs and I will do a good "cleanse" now and then where we get the big garbage bags out and just get rid of junk that we really don't need anymore. I blame it on genetics - Grandma was the same way.
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    I hate clutter..............
  • Lisa1971
    Options

You sure sound like my wife.

I still have the first computer I ever got (an Atari 400), and have one room in the basement totally devoted to spare computer parts. My wife is constantly trying to throw it all out.

I like that woman already!:laugh:

I don't get rid of stuff that works fine but when stuff breaks beyond repair my husband STILL wants to keep it. We have an entire computer graveyard in the back room of our basement. I keep begging him to get rid of it all but he insists that he'll fix them someday. Ok, we've been together 20 years and he's had that stuff before he met me. :grumble:
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I'm more of a hoarder but Hubs and I will do a good "cleanse" now and then where we get the big garbage bags out and just get rid of junk that we really don't need anymore. I blame it on genetics - Grandma was the same way.

My MIL and my FIL are both hoarders. They have SOOOOOOOO much clutter it's unbelievable so I know where my husband gets it. My parents hate clutter so I'm sure that's why I hate it too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Opposite here...wife is a major hoarder...just about everything has some kind of sentimental value. I'm a tosser...If I haven't touched some trinket or whatever in 6 months or so, it goes. I do have some sentimental type stuff from child hood, but it all fits in one little box. My wife has an entire 8hx20L shelving system in the garage for her sentimental stuff...not too mention all of the stuff that occupies the garage floor.

We haven't parked a car in the garage in over 8 years due to all of the junk. It drives me bananas because none of that stuff every gets looked at, let alone used...I'm sure there's stuff in there that she has no idea she even owns. Don't get me started on kitchen utensils...I mean really, how many potato peelers does one really need...or egg beaters (we have like 8 in all different sizes and materials)...how many spatulas does one really need. Sometimes it's just insane. She's getting better and we've started going through some things bit by bit once per month...but it's gonna take a long time.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood, really. Tend to hoard but then freak out at all of our stuff.

When I get in throw-away mode, my kids better hide their *kitten*! :laugh:
  • dnhardy
    Options
    I'm a serious thrower a wayer. I can not stand for things that are not useful and/or beautiful to be in the house taking up space. Including my fiance's very first car sitting in our garage. Yes it works and is pretty. No he never ever ever drives it. Drives me UP THE WALL.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a hoarder. Not worthy of the show or anything, but I'm a pack rat
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Throw awayer, I get anxious when my DVR gets over 50% full. The emptier a space is, the happier it makes me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

My MIL and my FIL are both hoarders. They have SOOOOOOOO much clutter it's unbelievable so I know where my husband gets it. My parents hate clutter so I'm sure that's why I hate it too.

You nailed it. Genetic disorder/ learned behavior, whatever you want to call it. I've seen couples like you two before...good luck, keep fighting the good fight.

It will get worse.

I hope you find a way to negotiate. Compulsions are so hard to overcome. I wish you strength and a good therapist for your husband.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I hate throwing things away...I'm afraid that I will throw away something important...However, when I get sick of clutter I tend to throw everything away...lol
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If it has no use, destroy it.
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I used to be a total horder, I still have some pack-rat tendencies (also partially as a crafter I tend to keep random things thinking "Ooooo I can make something with that!" :flowerforyou: lol) but I've gotten way better lately with the "throw it away" mentality, or even better "dont buy it in the first place" lol. Saves money and less clutter! :wink:

My guy definately has his horder moments...I get the "NO I can fix it!" anytime I try to throw some old broken parts away. I have to wait until he's not around to clean sometimes just to get things organized and get rid of trash lol.

I honestly think that's what made me become way less of a pack-rat.....2 horders in one house just would not make a good combo!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I hoard electronics but am a minimalist with everything else.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I hate clutter, and I hate keeping things that are no longer useful. I won't necessarily throw things away, though; I may donate them if I think someone else can find them useful.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I could be you!! I am a thrower a wayer...my husband? A HOARDER.....he wants to keep everything...he wants to fix it, he wants to take it to this family memeber or that family member, he might need it again, JUST THROW IT AWAY I SAY!!!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I hoard electronics but am a minimalist with everything else.

One never knows when one might need that 5-1/4" internal floppy drive again. I've got three of them in the basement just in case.