Are you a horder or a thrower-a-wayer?

Options

Replies

• crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Anti-Horder! If I do any storing or hording it's organized. Love the shredder btw...
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm a right tosser.....

LOL
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    I am a TOTAL "throw it away" kind of person. I'm happiest when the stereo is blaring and I'm gathering old junk in boxes and bags to be donated. My husband is a hoarder and it makes me insane! He even will go through bags that I am donating and will pull stuff out!:grumble:

A few years ago I went to throw away a broken radio that he had 20 years ago and freaked out on me saying "You can't throw THAT out! I'm going to fix it!" Well, needless to say he never did fix it and I finally threw it out! I hate hate hate clutter and he loves clutter. We're total opposites when it comes to keeping junk!:huh:

So are you a throw it away person or a hoarder????:smile:

Are you sure you aren't me???:drinker:
  • KainStar
    KainStar Posts: 197
    Options
    I throw away everything! If its broken, has a hole in it, looks worn out, etc its in the trash. Any type of clutter makes me nervous.

Especially, in my daughters room, I'm always cleaning that everyday (she's still too little to pick up after herself but she sure knows how to make a mess!)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm was a bit lazy about cleaning and my man grew up in a hoarder home (exactly like in those TV shows! and wasn't taught the 1st thing about cleaning). We didn't do too well together until he took a job that requires him to be away 28 days/month. Now that I only have myself and my son (who is 20 and can clean up after himself), my house is a much cleaner, happier place. Everything has a "home" that it goes back to when not in use. He drives me nuts when he's there not putting things back in their "homes".
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can't stand clutter. If I haven't worn it in a year - out it goes. If I buy new shoes, a pair of old shoes have to go.

And I'm a sucker for compact appliances like microwave ovens that are also convention baking ovens. Small printer/scanner/faxers that can store away on a shelf.

Is it odd that only the minimalists are replying????
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Every spring my wife and I go through the house gathering the unused/little used stuff up from closets, cupboards, etc... We move it down to the basement storage area. At the same time, we take anything from the basement that has been untouched since last year and get rid of it. That way if there is something we still use, but infrequently, it stays in rotation.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I hoard electronics but am a minimalist with everything else.

One never knows when one might need that 5-1/4" internal floppy drive again. I've got three of them in the basement just in case.

Awesome, I have a case of DIX to RJ45 transceivers and a case of 3c503 cards!

I am an "at capacity" electronics hoarder. As soon as I run out of room, I offer up a bunch of junk on several mailing lists and then toss it out if no one claims it. I have no emotional connection to any of it - I just don't bother to throw it out until it becomes a problem.

I might have a few of those 3comms. Might be the 509 combo cards though. Never know when when a LAN party might break out to play Warcraft II. :laugh:
  • foxyhotgal
    foxyhotgal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i throw everything away, prob a bit too much if im honest!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My parents are hoarders and I do everything in my power to never become a hoarder. However, I am a crafter and you know what a crafters motto is right? Never throw anything away because you never know if you can use it.

So basically I am an organization freak. I have to be creative on how things are stored. A place for everything and everything in its place.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I am an obsessive throw-awayer (give-awayer or sell-awayer). I can't tell you how many times I've gotten rid of something and then wished I hadn't. I miss my bongos.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I tend to hoard things that are expensive and chuck things that are not. But it seems like every time throw something away, I need it a few weeks later.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Speaking of ....watching that show Hoarders makes me want to deep clean my apartment....every.single.time! I have a love/hate relationship with that show.

Im in between....I keep stuff but then I end up tossing it and wondering why I kept it in the first place.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Throw awayer, I get anxious when my DVR gets over 50% full. The emptier a space is, the happier it makes me.

How funny! Both my wife and I hate not having space, but came from homes where space meant things needed to be filled. But I get anxious when my DVR hits over 25%, even though it shouldn't matter. Funny to see someone else has those feelings also.
  • veddar79
    veddar79 Posts: 205
    Options
    throw away, minimal====better!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am trying to become a reformed hoarder as I have been going through my townhouse and trying to get it cleaned out. My new rule is that if I haven't even looked at it in a year, it's gone.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Both, depending on my current obsession...
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    A little of both. If it's something of value, I'll usually hold it for a bit. If I don't use it soon then I have no problem donating or trashing it.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My parents are serious hoarders. They keep EVERYTHING. First they used to have a room to store their stuff, then they started filling up the basement and shelter and when they ran out of room they set up a shed in the back yard to store more junk! I already told my dad that when he gets too told, my brothers and I will hire a guy with a truck to take all that junk in the dump.

I used to be the same way, I'd keep every little thing, but after I moved out of my parents' house I decided I should be more practical. I only keep stuff that might have sentimental values (pictures, letters), and anything else I don't use, I toss away.

There's one thing I can't throw away and that's books. I can't stand seeing a book in the trash.