RANT - need a smart *kitten* response = please help

Options

Replies

• Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    If I don't recognize the number I don't answer the phone. If it's not important enough for them to leave a message, it's not important enough for me to bother trying to find out what they wanted.

Sorry OP - I got nothing for you.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    *Answer phone* Hi, dead hooker hotline, may i set you up with a thigh warmer?

And when they piss me off, i answer and SCREAM FREAKING LOUD AND AS LOUD AS I CAN

You get a screamgasim and a laugh out of you AT THE SAME TIME
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    As much as you are annoyed by this, it's just as irritating having some company call up and not leave a message, making you waste your time to find out why you were called in the first place!

If someone calls me and doesn't leave a message, I deduce that it was deemed unimportant, so I don't worry myself about it.
    if no one leaves a message i dont call back. i dont answer then phone when its a number i dont know
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    i am at a loss for words for the first time in my sad little life
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    We get this a lot in our office. The call back number from a lot of the extensions in this area of our building is the main office number, so we get people wanting to know who in here called them...

Ordinarily we just tell them which department of the hospital we are in and would there be any reason for Maintenance, housekeeping, etc. to be calling them, and they either say, Oh, yeah...or we determine someone may have misdialed.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As much as you are annoyed by this, it's just as irritating having some company call up and not leave a message, making you waste your time to find out why you were called in the first place!

If someone calls me and doesn't leave a message, I deduce that it was deemed unimportant, so I don't worry myself about it.

I'm the same way, leave a message or it was not important or an accident, anyone who gets PO'ed over that must be hangry.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    911 what's your emergency?

This has my vote.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    OP - Sorry you aren't getting more light hearted answers. I think you were just looking for a laugh and it hasn't turned out that way at all :mad: My best advice would be to kill 'em with kindness that way you can't get in trouble. Also people hate it when you are nice to them when they are mad so lay it on extra thick. Hope your day turns around :flowerforyou:
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Same here, but still, a bit of professionalism is required on your part, just think if it was you on the other end, how would you feel if someone smart-assed you when you were just innocently returning a phone call?
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Apologize that no message was left and then offer to call back and leave a message if that's what it takes to make them feel better. Let 'em know you only live to serve! ;)

Either that or say, "Oh, is this [pick a name] Christine Johnson? Oh, no? Sorry, I must have had the wrong number." ...or something like that.

Could you tell 'em you were calling on behalf of an Ethiopian prince who wanted to let them in on the ground level of a great new investment idea or, alternatively, needed $1200 from them to help him release over $5MM in funds (of which he'd give them $50k for their troubles?

I dunno...if it was me, I'd just keep saying sorry without feeling emotionally attached to the issue. I'm not apologizing for myself...I'm apologizing for someone else (which I feel is like spending someone elses money...easy). And actually, it could be refreshing to beat them to the punch and get in all their complaints before they have a chance to voice them themselves, e.g., Hello...oh someone called but didn't leave a message?...oh I just hate it when people do that and I'm so sorry you had to deal with it. Man, you and me...we gotz to stick together in this world of no-consideration-having-no-voicemail-leaving-parents-didn't-raise-them-right prank callers.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Now the toner sales people... that's a different story...... I have a field day with them!

Oh, I LOVE those guys.

Oh, you want the model of the copier in the work room? Oh, so you can send us an updated manual? Oh, of course, because you service this copier ALL THE TIME, but somehow you don't have the model number in your records? I don't think so, I was born at night, but not last night.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

This has my vote.

Haha. Ditto
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

This has my vote.

did you just say that cause you're scared of me?
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    OP - That DOES sound really annoying. But although to you they are the 50th person asking you the same dumb question, to them, it is their first time talking to you. So if you are rude to them they will just think you are a b**ch, and you would likely put your job in jepordy. And give them a bad impression of your company. Why bother?
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Not saying you could get away with it, but....

You: Good afternoon, ABC Company, how may I help you?
    JW: who is this?
    You: You have reached ABC Company, how may I help you?
    JW: Who is this? someone called me from this number; it was on my called ID?
    You: I'm sorry for the inconvenience Sir/Ma'am. In the future, I would suggest answering calls coming into your phone, even if you don't recognize the number. This way, the caller can be informed that the number is a wrong number and notate that in their records and possibly add you to their "no-call" list so that we can avoid a repeat of this same situation and wasting both your time, and mine.
    JW: Well, just add me to that list now!
    Your: I'm sorry Sir/Ma'am, but I was not the one that called you. There are xxx number of people in our office that may have called you and I do not know who it was, or why they used your number. Please add the number you called to your list of contacts so that when that person attempts to call you again, you will know that it's fine to answer so that you can inform the caller they have the wrong number, so that we can avoid a repeat of this same situation and wasting both your time, and mine.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. And it annoyed me more that my coworkers didn't leave a message for their clients. I was sympathetic to the person who called. "This is a large office, and I don't know who called you. I'm sorry."
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    HANGRY!
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Since you work for the company you really can't be the smart *kitten* you want to be. So you can't say stuff like "I can't talk now, the ATF now has us surrounded, could you please call back later."
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Not saying you could get away with it, but....

You: Good afternoon, ABC Company, how may I help you?
    JW: who is this?
    You: You have reached ABC Company, how may I help you?
    JW: Who is this? someone called me from this number; it was on my called ID?
    You: I'm sorry for the inconvenience Sir/Ma'am. In the future, I would suggest answering calls coming into your phone, even if you don't recognize the number. This way, the caller can be informed that the number is a wrong number and notate that in their records and possibly add you to their "no-call" list so that we can avoid a repeat of this same situation and wasting both your time, and mine.
    JW: Well, just add me to that list now!
    Your: I'm sorry Sir/Ma'am, but I was not the one that called you. There are xxx number of people in our office that may have called you and I do not know who it was, or why they used your number. Please add the number you called to your list of contacts so that when that person attempts to call you again, you will know that it's fine to answer so that you can inform the caller they have the wrong number, so that we can avoid a repeat of this same situation and wasting both your time, and mine.

Thank you!

Believe me, I am never unprofessional; I just want to bang my head on my desk every once in a while.