RANT - need a smart *kitten* response = please help

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    As much as you are annoyed by this, it's just as irritating having some company call up and not leave a message, making you waste your time to find out why you were called in the first place!

If someone calls me and doesn't leave a message, I deduce that it was deemed unimportant, so I don't worry myself about it.
    Same here, but still, a bit of professionalism is required on your part, just think if it was you on the other end, how would you feel if someone smart-assed you when you were just innocently returning a phone call?

Why would I return a call the a number I don't recognize, especially if no message was left?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sounds just like my husband..
    he phones and says give me your home number so i can call you back.
    now hes got my son being a smart *kitten*.
    what the hell is the world coming to?

is wing there?
    you must have winged the wong number.

ha ha ha ha

GOOD FRICKIN RANT!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    OP - That DOES sound really annoying. But although to you they are the 50th person asking you the same dumb question, to them, it is their first time talking to you. So if you are rude to them they will just think you are a b**ch, and you would likely put your job in jepordy. And give them a bad impression of your company. Why bother?

This. Don't sweat the small stuff and risk losing your job.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yea, I've been in your shoes before OP....it can get on your last nerve and NO I don't understand why ppl call back when a message wasn't left.

I work for an insurance agent of a major, well known insurance company and there are several agents in a small area. Automatic marketing letters are mailed out on the regular and here in the office, we have no knowledge of it. I've had people call me, YELLING about receiving an AUTOMATED marketing letter. Even had a person accuse us of being part of the mafia....thankfully I was quick enough to replay "Well sir I cannot confirm or deny that, but I would be happy to remove your name from the mailing list to avoid any future phone calls like this one" Mind you, this was all said in the sweet, professional tone :laugh:

Vent when needed then let it roll off your shoulders.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    911 what's your emergency?

This has my vote.

did you just say that cause you're scared of me?

Yes. Wait, no. Ummm, yes. Put the stick away, please.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I guess I've worked in a phone company and thats happened a lot to me but it doesn't bother me in the slightest because part of the job is just being polite to the customer. some people are just super curious about missed phone calls without a message. I wouldn't be a smart *kitten* to them just because of that.

I've had people literally scream at me over the phone and I have still never been a smart *kitten* to them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think you wanted to hear something like this "What kind of loser are you that you feel the need to call back people who didn't even think enough of you to leave a message for you. Are you THAT bored? Do you really have NOTHING better to do. How dare you waste my precious time sitting here eating a jumbo bag of chips and scratching my dandruff head with a pencil and trying to do kegels at my desk to get some exercise, with your stupid lame curiosity!"

Ooops that kind of boomeranged to come back and insult the answerer of the call. Sorry.

I think I agree with the it's your job and your in the wrong line of work maybe ppl.

My thinking is that there are some jobs like Dr.s on call and others that HAVE to return calls and as long as no one is being unprofessional to you, it's your JOB to be professional to them. Was it in your job description that you would only handle phone calls by relevant people, or psychic ones who knew who was calling them and why. Further, if you are like the other lady who said there was a sales team involved who should have been leaving messages why don't you tell your boss it's getting out of hand and time for a sit down with said sales team instructing proper cold calling or warm lead follow ups. IF you aren't comfortable with this as I wasn't when I did a job like that it's because you realize it's your job to put up with it, just like whoever's making these ninja phone calls has like 20 other things to deal with that makes it sometimes impossible or inconvenient to leave a detailed message, like he's in the warehouse and a pile of boxes is about to fall on him or he's a sales guy and can't leave his shpiel on each line and miss the other 50 ppl on his list if he wants to get thru it on time. Just sayin' it's nobody's job to make your job easier, but yours. Especially not the innocent caller who IN GOOD FAITH is checking up on an unknown call. How many people ditch unknown numbers thinking it's bill collectors. Answer every call realizing you are dealing with a responsible person on the other line who likes to handle their business and try to act likewise.:flowerforyou:
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i used to just ask if they checked their messages, because usually people call right back and don't even look to see.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If your dumb a@@ company doesn't think it's phone call is important enough to leave me a message, then sure as hell I won't be doing business with you.

You should apologize for the inherent rudeness of every call your company makes.

shame on you and your whiney crap
  • PamelaG723
    Options
    My secretary complains about this, too. In addition to answering phones, she does a lot of administrative work. Trying to track down who called someone is a pain.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    in the spirit of OP, here's what I'd say...

"Oh, we're so sorry. [Make up a name] has been reprimanded for not leaving messages on erroneous phone calls. You can be assured that the mistaken call was made by an actual human and not an auto-dialer.

I'm really annoyed at [insert another name here] who also works for the company - would you like me to transfer you to [him/her - delete whichever is not appropriate]?"

worked for me when i was a receptionist at AAA :drinker:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As much as you are annoyed by this, it's just as irritating having some company call up and not leave a message, making you waste your time to find out why you were called in the first place!

I don't get this - if someone didn't take the time to leave a message why would you waste time trying to figure out why you were called? Back in the days before caller ID you never even knew that you had been called and life moved on perfectly fine....

ETA - I also have this policy with my friends and family. If you call and don't leave me a message I'm going to assume that it's not important so if I'm busy I don't feel it's important to call them right back.
    [/quote

This^^^^^ to the tenth power
  • HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    I can't think of a smart *kitten* answer and I am a champ at that sort of thing.

All I got is this:

If it was important they'll call back.

1. Maybe they ended up in a no service area on their mobile phone.

2. Maybe they got company and needed to go answer the door.

3. Maybe they had to take another call.

4. Maybe they had to RUN to the bathroom and the noises woulda been awful...

5. Maybe their kid fell off of a swing and they had to do damage control.

6. Maybe the house caught fire and they had to dial 911.

Who knows? My point is, if it was not good timing, then a return call is inconvenient.
    It is best to just not worry over it. Obviously, they've got your #.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    When you dial a wrong number, do you just hang when you realize your error? I don't, I just say "Sorry, I have the wrong number".

These days most people are using sell phones, it is NOTHING to see missed called and call it back. It's not like you even have to dial the number. I actually do call back missed calls, as voice mail occasionally doesn't work -- and I have a daughter and would rather be safe than sorry.

I don't know why people don't just say "Oh, ok" but I am certain that your company is being rude in the first place. You should google the number of your company just to see what pops up. I would bet it's a ton of people complaining about how they get lots of calls and no messages from that number.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If part of your job is to answer the phone, then just do your job. Be a professional.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Wow! I think she was just looking for something fun! Not a lecture. I am sure she knows if she made a smart-*kitten* response, her job'd be at risk.

Here:

"Ok you are right, we did hang up. This is death coming for you... muahahaha you have 7 days muahahah" then hang up! I, unlike the meanies in here, know you were just ranting and wanted to have some fun.

I hope.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    911 what's your emergency?

This has my vote.

hahah yes
  • samanthachen
    Options
    If your dumb a@@ company doesn't think it's phone call is important enough to leave me a message, then sure as hell I won't be doing business with you.

You should apologize for the inherent rudeness of every call your company makes.

Holy crap, guys! I thought your question would get some funny responses. I clicked and totally brought myself down with the negativity in here! WE ALL HATE TELEMARKETERS, but she was just ranting. Calm the #$^& down.
  • BigTnew
    BigTnew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Holy crap, guys! I thought your question would get some funny responses. I clicked and totally brought myself down with the negativity in here! WE ALL HATE TELEMARKETERS, but she was just ranting. Calm the #$^& down.
    [/quote]

Do NOT tell me what to do!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Richard, darling, a rant is, by definition, usually whiney. At least the best ones are.