How much sleep do you get each night?

Options
I'm curious to see if there is some type of correlation between those who have had weight loss success and how much sleep they get each night.

So if possible, answer these two questions: 1) How much sleep do you average per night? 2) How much weight have you lost?

As a backstory.....
I've read many articles that have talked about the impact lack of sleep can have on weight loss efforts (you stay up later, so you snack more... you get less sleep, so you are less inclined to exercise... you are tired, so you get more stressed at work... stress impacts weight loss.. and so on... .). For the past 1 1/2 years, the amount of sleep I get each night has greatly declined. I usually don't go to bed until 12 or 1am, then have to wake up by 5-6 for work. Its not like I can't fall asleep, its more like I constantly tell myself things need to be done and I am never done with my day... so I stay up checking email, or doing things online/around the house that aren't really "necessity". I'm wondering if this lack of sleep is sabatoging my weight loss efforts in the indirect ways I've mentioned above...

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I get about 7 hours every night during the week, and between 8 and 9 on weekends usually. I used to have a LOT of trouble sleeping, and got less, but now I sleep like a baby! I have lost 117 pounds
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    1) 8-9 hrs
    2) 52 lbs
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    I am usually in bed for 10pm...and wake up a 4am...

M-F
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    6-7 hours of sleep, lost 10 lbs since Jan 2013
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    6 to 8
    i am just so dam hyper,
    i cannot sleep.
    any other people like me, ADD ME!
    things race thru my head
  • michelleavent1979
    Options
    Before Jan 1 (when I started losing weight) I was getting 7 hours sleep but I would go and lay down and read a book for an hour at least before I could fall asleep.

Since Jan 1 8-9 hours per night and within 3 mins of hitting the pillow I am OUT!

Feels way better.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    8-9 hours, 27 pounds
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Usually around 7 hours a night, 25 pounds total
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a 6 - 7 person. I'm down about 15 since the beginning of the year (which is when I started), but I'm waiting for the plateau to kick in.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    8-9 hrs. 13 pounds since early January.
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    weeknights about 6 or 7
    friday and saturday nights about 10

oops i forgot!
    i've lost about 15 pounds so far!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Approx six hours. Give or take a half hour. I'm down 100+ over the past two years.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    So far... a general observation is that >7hours of sleep per night = more weight loss.

Of course, this leaves out a lot of other variables (i.e. how long it has taken to lose the weight, how long they have been trying, how long they have been getting that amount of sleep, etc)... but just in general that sticks out to me right away.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    7-8 hours
    27 lbs
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    1) 4-6 hours a night.
    2) 50+ pounds in almost a year.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1- 8-9 hours
    2- 48 pounds
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    7-8 hours, 38lbs lost.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey:)
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I get 7-8 hours during the week, more on the weekends (with the help of a sleep aid).

Lost 21 pds so far.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i am very very bad at sleeping. i always have been. even as a child i was not allowed to take naps or i wouldn't sleep at night at all. i had a huge problem with insomnia as a teen.

now i sleep around 6-7 hours a night on the week nights. on the weekends i sleep as long but tend to nap away the morning for some quite alone time. i've lost 50+ pounds so far.
  • OhLibra
    OhLibra Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1). 6-7 hours a night
    2). 29 lbs.