The Term "Newbie"

Options
Hey everyone, do you think we can come up with a better term to describe people who are new to strength training than "newbie"? It's slightly derogatory and frankly feels like there is a tone of inferiority present. What do you think??

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    beginner ?
  • WhitR86
    WhitR86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its an improvent, but in the military new people are called "privates". Maybe not..

;-) I'm new to weight training too. And liking it!
  • 1puffyheart
    Options
    I'm used to the term - I don't think it's derogatory or inferior. It is what it is. :smile:

Maybe Trainee? Rookie?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Never had a problem with the term.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think it is a particularly lovely word, but as far as I'm aware it isn't just used for people who are new to strength training - I've heard this in loads of different contexts, and even if I might not like it it doesn't really bother me.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The word itself is fine. It is only derogatory within the context it is used and that won't change with a different word
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Better to be a newbie than to never try it all. Everyone has gotta start somewhere.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with newbie, it gets used across a variety of things. Noob, maybe not, but newbie is fine...
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. It is a fairly big improvement as the last version of the term was "maggot".
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    This term is almost as old as the internet, it comes from the old Usenet back in the 80-ies (and gaming). You can't really stop people from using it, especially geeks or those who actually already socialized mainly on the internet like this new teen facebook generation. It's a part of everyone's vocabulary. I mean it has not to do with MFP.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Padawan? As in: Lift even, do you, my young padawan? (Said in my best Yoda voice...)
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, it's better than being called a Noob. That's a term used a lot in gaming. If someone calls their self a newbie then it should be fine, but I wouldn't just come out and call them that to begin with.
  • A1CNobody
    Options
    You could give us all basic training flashbacks and call us all TRAINEE!

(no, please don't D:)
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    no.

sorry Jules :flowerforyou:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Better than what my on-line gaming community tends to use: Noob. Or N00B … Derived from newbie and definitely more derogatory.

I don't have a problem with "newbie," personally.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    :noway: Don't go trying to change ****.....Butterfly effect.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no.

sorry Jules :flowerforyou:

RAGE
    :angry:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You can definitely choose another word to employ. It doesn't carry negative connotations in my view, it is simply descriptive; like "greenhorn". It means "inexperienced beginner". To the extent that being called inexperienced is hurtful, then you must first become experienced - lest it be used descriptively on you. The problem, then, is that to become experienced, you must begin without knowledge and gain experience, and for a period of time you will be . . .

NOOBKIN.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't see the word as derogatory. Context is everything.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It beats "New-ter" . . .