I am new- and this aint gonna be easy!

Options
2»

Replies

• happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    we all love everything we arent supposed to have!!! Dont stress. Set yourself a goal and then use the support here to help you get there. It's not easy whichever way you look at it, but it is definately worth it, you just have to allow yourself a treat every now and then so you dont go crazy!!
  • Ferraro518
    Options
    I smoked up until January 2011. Quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Losing weight and keeping it off is definitely right up there on the challenging list but I have done a few things that has made it feel different this time around. First off, I've proven time and time again that I can lose 20 lbs on some fad diet or by being super strict but I also proved just as quickly that I could put it, plus a few more, right back on as soon as I stopped the fad. Secondly, I used to always start the newest fad on a Monday and never worked out. Well, for me,I decided that if I was truly dedicated to change then I need to do it all the way around.
    I started using the My Fitness Pal ( love it) on a wednesday instead of a monday and I log everything....and I mean everything. Not putting it down doesn't mean I didn't eat it. If I happen to go over one day then I learn to make better choices. I joined Planet Fitness on a Wednesday and after the two weeks it took for me to gear myself up to actually go, I have been 100% dedicated since early November. I started slow and set small goals and I am seeing slow but steady success. My only advice is that if you are truly committed to change then you will be successful. Eat what you want within your calories and don't deprive yourself but be honest about it. Good luck and congrats on this positive decision.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I enjoy going to the gym.. but when i started.. I just knew i had to have a different life. I love the Dread mill now.. :) get a book and do it..

i also love walking walk walking outside.. when the weather allows... Which is pretty often, in California.. But I have to say.. to me.. stopping smoking may come before losing weight.. not sure but yea.. smoking sucks.. lol (a pun)
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like your icon. =)
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Cancer stuff- gave up the other stuff a year ago and I gained like 60 lbs *big grumpy frown*

Well when I quit the cancer stuff, I upped the fun stuff, and found this great fitness technique, smoke the fun stuff and walk as much as possible with my IPOD. It's my meditation and my work out "rolled" one, lol, i had to smoke the fun stuff when ever i had the urge to smoke the cancer stuff, and it was quite effective, sadly no quit smoking-site will teach you that trick. I even got a one hitter that looks like a cigarette for 3 bucks at a head shop. So i can walk inconspicuously, and have my hit when I feel a nik fit coming on. It's been since August, now the only time I want the cancer stuff is when I see other people I like talking to smoking.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lol, thanks for the troll warning (I know they lurk everywhere) 18 days to quit? did you do it cold turkey?

Other then smoking more funny stuff, I also used the low dose patch, not the strong one like they say to. and I didn't put it on until I couldn't stand nikking anymore. and then I would try to go whole days without the patch. now Im not on a patch, gum or anything. I don't even barely smoke the funny stuff, unless im havin a bad day and dont feel like exercising then i do my TOKE-WALK-JAM THING. Some soldier told me it takes 18 days to quit any addiction. I think he's right. Or at least I told myself that. Went 18 days without a smoke and VOILA GONE!!! now i can walk in 711 and laugh at the price of cigarettes, and smile that I'm not going to blow money on them anymore!!!!

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF QUITTING IS TO NEVER BUY THEM!!!!!! THEN EVERY TIME YOU NEED ONE YOU HAVE TO BUM IT LIKE A BUM. OR PICK THEM UP OFF HE GROUND AND WONDER IF THE LAST PERSON WHO DROPPED IT THERE HAD HEPATITIS OR TD. WELL THAT WORKED FOR ME.

Hope I could help. And the most lovely thing about this website there is always someone awake at any given time up and struggling just like you,and sometimes they are really inspiring when you see people who lost 200 pounds, JUST AMAZING, make me feel guilty about my little 50 I want to lose.

That makes a huge difference. Like you aren't trying to change your life alone. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS are also trying to do the same thing.

It's kind of like AA only usually without the religious crap, although every once in awhile someone will try to throw it in, like the crazy lady who told me that the I shouldn't bee a vegan because The Bible says God put animals here for us to eat.

I just love having a place to go where people have my same struggle and I never feel alone. I also get great low calorie ideas from a lot of these recipe posts that I never would have thought of in a MILLION years that are SO simple.

Good luck. and if you have an off day the next day you get a clean slate:) Not much in life gives you a clean slate the next day:)
  • ToddinTX
    ToddinTX Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck buddy! I have a long way to go too, and I know it won't be easy for me either.

Todd
  • LilOlMe69
    LilOlMe69 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nothing that is worth it , is ever easy! Would be happy to help motivate you! :) Feel free to add me.
  • HungryKoala
    Options
    THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF QUITTING IS TO NEVER BUY THEM!!!!!! THEN EVERY TIME YOU NEED ONE YOU HAVE TO BUM IT LIKE A BUM. OR PICK THEM UP OFF HE GROUND AND WONDER IF THE LAST PERSON WHO DROPPED IT THERE HAD HEPATITIS OR TD. WELL THAT WORKED FOR ME.

(I hope I do this quote thing right)

You've been a great help and that statement above made me laugh my *kitten* off, I wont even spin cigarettes for fear of catching something, so not buying them would be an excellent choice. Ugh, I get the biggest urge to smoke after I ear though.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You can certainly add me.....just take little steps at a time and be kind to yourself!!!!