5:2 diet

Options

Replies

• JennyH10
    JennyH10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had to jump in here to say I agree with pretty much everything Fawceth said.
    I have been using the 5:2 way of eating (NOT "diet") for 6 weeks and lost half a stone. Not a massive or very speedy loss but this way of eating is about much more than that. I also feel like this is the first time I can "stick to a diet" and as such I know I'll lose the other 2 1/2 stone that I need to lose. By calorie counting to 1200cals a day every day I felt deprived and like a failure when I went over. I have lost and regained the same few pounds time and time again.
    I enjoy my fast days and don't feel especially deprived as I know I can have whatever I like tomorrow. My energy levels are the same as normal. I save my 500 calories for one healthy evening meal as I've heard that there are some potential benefits of 20-24hr fasting rather than having three small meals during a fast day. I am also still kind of tracking what I consume on my feed (or feast) days just to give me an idea. I'm not calorie controlling on those days per se, just seeing how much weight I'm losing on a weekly basis compared to how I'm eating on my feed days. Once I've lost my first stone I tihnk I'll throw my calorie counting out of the window, forever.
    The science and benefits behind this way of life (and it is a way of life, I'll continue fast days once I'm at my target, people often do 1 day/week for maintainance) are not proven yet but there are a lot of studies happening and they are very very interesting. I'm planning to go for more blood tests in 3 months to see if they have improved (I have high cholesterol and high BP).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, i was thinking about this recently.

For those using it primarily as a weight loss tool, then it doenst matter how you spread your 500 calories,but the calories consumed on non-fast days are quite important.

If it's the other health benefits you're mostly interested in, then fasting for as long as possible becomes the most important factor, and the calories on non-fast days are less important.

Now, there's not enough scientific evidence as yet to say "This way is right" or "that way is wrong" - in a sense we are all our own guinea pigs in this. Weight loss is easily measured so progress on that score is easy to track - the other health benefits (such as prevention of Alzheimers in old age) are clearly not so easily measured.
  • hipthypanda
    Options
    Hi, I started the 5:2 diet about 5 weeks ago...for weight loss purposes. So far I have been having 3 meals a day of 150-200 kcals. I was reading dr Mosleys book on the fast diet and he recommends having just 2 meals a day, breakfast and dinner. So I decided to take this approach. I had 2 scrambled eggs and ham for breakfast (normally I have porridge which sounds more boring but I actually missed it) then I found it really hard to skip lunch and by 7pm when it was time to go home I felt weak and dizzy. I cycle to and from work and I felt so weak that half way home I had to stop off at a Sainsburys and get a sandwich (which I made sure was 250 kcals). Up until today I had been really enjoying the fast diet but today was such hell I've been put off it completely! Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I want the health benefits of the 12 hour fast between meals but I just don't think I can do it. Perhaps I could up the calorie intake because of the hour cycling I do each day? Or can anyone suggest low cal foods that fill up....I think I missed the carbs!!
    Thanks Isobel
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hipthypanda
    I actually have 3 small meals on fast days. 1 poached egg for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch an fish and steamed vegetables in the evening. It comes in at 490 calories . It's a suggestion you might try as it may keep your blood sugars more regular for your ride home. Interesting I find that as I swim 60 laps on fast days my net calories for the day are about 6? I encourage you to keep going but something eaten before your ride is important.
    Beavergong
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 meals a day, and have been making very gradual changes to my lunch to reduce it. I went from soup and salad, to just soup, and now those soups have got down to a 30 cal miso soup.

I think especially if you're cycling you need to make sure you are doing what suits your body. If weight loss is your primary aim, then spread the calories however you like, as long as the total is under 500. The book does say you can't eat your exercise calories back, sadly, so you need to experiment with timings and amounts.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am on my second week of 5:2, today is my second day this week. I've had to do my 2 days back to back so today I feel really hungry, normally am fine with just one day and then eating normal the next day. Work, family and keep fit commitments wouldn't allow me to have a couple of days in between my fasting days.
    I have to eat 3 meals a day, couldn't go for hours without food, yesterday I had porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and egg salad for dinner. Even had enough calories for a treat in the evening.
    I feel more in control on my fast days.
    Good luck to everyone that is doing this eating programme.
  • patcholiday1
    Options
    I tried the 5:2 diet this week and found it really easy, an example of my fast day I had porridge with water and few blueberries for breakfast, low cal cup a soup, crispbread and sugar free jelly for lunch and homemade veg soup and pear for supper. You need to drink lots of water though. I found it surprisingly easy and had lots of energy on the fast days and best of all lost 2 lbs after remained the same for 3 weeks even though sticking to my diet plan yipee!!!
  • rosylarose
    rosylarose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried the 5:2 plan back in the early autumn and I must say I struggled. I had two main issues 1) i was fasting on Mondays and Wednesdays. Mondays were OK - not a breeze, but manageable. Wednesdays were a nightmare.t I was headachy, found it hard to concentrate, not rumbling hungry, but uncomfortable, irritable and worst of all, exhausted. 2) On non- fast days I was eating a calorie allowance which took my total average weekly calories to 1200 (so about 1500 calories with exercise netted off), as I couldn't see any "magical" benefits of this approach which would negate the overall need to restrict calories. The problem was that 1500 calories still felt restrictive - so in effect I always felt deprived. In the end, it was so difficult to do that second day that it was affecting my work and I had to give it up. I then had to have surgery and I'm only just getting back to exercise etc, so I've gained quite a lot of weight. I'm still very drawn to this plan as its so simple and I can see a logic to it. But I'm not terribly confident it will suit me and I wondered if anyone else had similar experiences?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I tried the 5:2 plan back in the early autumn and I must say I struggled. I had two main issues 1) i was fasting on Mondays and Wednesdays. Mondays were OK - not a breeze, but manageable. Wednesdays were a nightmare.t I was headachy, found it hard to concentrate, not rumbling hungry, but uncomfortable, irritable and worst of all, exhausted. 2) On non- fast days I was eating a calorie allowance which took my total average weekly calories to 1200 (so about 1500 calories with exercise netted off), as I couldn't see any "magical" benefits of this approach which would negate the overall need to restrict calories. The problem was that 1500 calories still felt restrictive - so in effect I always felt deprived. In the end, it was so difficult to do that second day that it was affecting my work and I had to give it up. I then had to have surgery and I'm only just getting back to exercise etc, so I've gained quite a lot of weight. I'm still very drawn to this plan as its so simple and I can see a logic to it. But I'm not terribly confident it will suit me and I wondered if anyone else had similar experiences?

Others with a weekly calorie total of 1200kcal are likely dead.
  • rosylarose
    rosylarose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ha - you're right! That might be where I was going wrong! :)
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just reread Dr Mosley,s The Fast Diet book where he suggests we try a 2pm to 2pm fast as it gives you a longer time without food overnight. Has anyone on 5:2 tried this and would like to comment on how they found it compared to normal fast day?
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump x
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I guess 5:2 is just the quicker way to reduce your weekly deficit or you can just eat less per day.
  • 1CheakyC
    1CheakyC Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just reread Dr Mosley,s The Fast Diet book where he suggests we try a 2pm to 2pm fast as it gives you a longer time without food overnight. Has anyone on 5:2 tried this and would like to comment on how they found it compared to normal fast day?

I've tried one week of the 2pm - 2pm ...... It was ok but as you start day1 from 2pm and finish day 2pm I found it felt like I fasted 2days and not 1 ....... Probably just physiological but it seemed longer :indifferent:

It's worth giving it a go for week and see if it works for you, nothing too lose but lbs, he he!

Good luck if you try it
  • Btosilver
    Options
    I'm in it for the fasting so I eat a snack Monday night before bed then close to 500 calories at noon Tuesday, when I get hungry in the evening I just go to bed. Get up Wednesday eat like normal and repeat the fast Thursday, then have a regular weekend. Sleep has its advantages.
  • nimzodisaster
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I've been on the 5:2 lifestyle for just over 6 weeks, and have been losing 1.2 lbs per week....a healthy rate I think. I really like this plan, and actually enjoy the fasting days..well most of the time. :)

Because I think of it as a lifestyle, not a short-term diet, I take it easy on my self, and allow myself a little cheat once and a while. I might eat 600-750 calories on diet days because I'm a big guy (Im a 6'5", 224 lb man), but I don't obsess..I just know when I get close to where I'm supposed to stop. If I work late, a 1-2 AM snack of some almonds might occur. Generally, the days go something like eggs for breakfast, almonds and other little bites of protein through the day, a big salad/grilled veggies with a portion of salmon or chicken for dinner. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of green tea. Iced. All day long. The tea helps with hunger, and is good for you on a number of counts.

In any case, I'm a big believer. I do it with my wife, which helps. I fast on Monday and Thursdays because those are really busy days for me, and being mentally busy keeps me from thinking of my biggish belly...which is definitely shrinking after 7.5 lb lost.

But again, the best thing is that I can imagine myself doing this habitually (as long as I don't get too thin...).
  • hercules33_
    Options
    Quick question about the 5:2. I do IF with a 4 hour eating window if i implement the 5:2 will i lose fat, muscle or both? I have a last bit of fat to lose and i feel as if the 5:2 will do the trick.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Quick question about the 5:2. I do IF with a 4 hour eating window if i implement the 5:2 will i lose fat, muscle or both? I have a last bit of fat to lose and i feel as if the 5:2 will do the trick.

Losing muscle mass is all about large calorie deficit. Large deficits support only the basic essentials (heart, lungs, kidneys, etc.)

Set your weekly goal to no more than 1/2 pound.......and see how many calories that gives you.

Then do strength training, and eats lots of protein. 5:2 is about timing.... makes it easier for some to stick with it.
  • annko65
    annko65 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Beavergong,

The 5:2 diet is quite straightforward. You fast two non-consecutive days a week keeping a low calorie intake which is 500calories for women and 600 calories for men.
    The other days you eat as normal; however as I have tried it (bought the book and downloaded all the apps) you can't really pig out in food despite what they advice on the book. You have to eat relatively healthy.....
    If you go on line there are thousands of recipes for that diet but I can give you any info which is in the book if you like...just ask

:smile: