i hate going to gym alone

Options

Replies

• onmywaytobeperfect
    Options
    I prefer to go alone, helps me focus on myself.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i love going to the gym by myself, there's no waiting around for anyone to get done or feeling pressured to get done. my gym sessions are usually around an hour so i guess if you don't mind spending more time there then working out with a friend can be motivating. pandora on my iphone usually keeps my occupied.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love going to the gym with my gym buddy. sometimes we work out on the same thing, and sometimes we're just working side by side on different things. and sometimes we separate and are working on two different things and don't work out together except for the warm up and cool down.

i don't mind working out by myself either. a good playlist is all i need to go through the work out.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I hate going with people haha
    I feel too self conscious when i go with someone else
    like i dont care about other people in the gym being like "OMG that girl cant even run a mile"
    cos a, they probably arent even looking at you and b. you dont know them so who cares
    but when you go with a friend they judge you for everything
    or worse they just distract you from doing things!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I usually go alone. Get in, get it done, and get out. I am there only an hour anyway.
  • joddumz
    Options
    I can't deal with going by myself either so I pretty much exclusively do excercise classes. I get really lonely if I go to the gym by myself!!
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always workout alone. If I workout with a friend, unless I'm lifting, I find it a bit annoying lol
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Gumtree.com is useful for finding a sports partner.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I workout alone. I only have someone with me when I do bench press with heavy weights. Since I workout in our home gym it's easy to ask someone to help me, and once I'm done with bench press they can gtfo lol
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to my gym, I felt self conscience and didn't like going alone, but just kept doing it. Eventually I met some people in a spin class, who have become great friends and motivators to me. I see them often now, inside and outside the gym. But we never really work out together, unless we are in a class together. We see each other at the Y, give words of encouragement, but keep working out. I guess what I am trying to say that although now I know alot of people at the gym, and if I miss a couple of days, I now get text messages and phone calls asking where I am, I still pretty much work out alone. Keep at it, you will meet people!
  • beautyimthebeast
    Options
    Stay near with any mirror. OMG LOOK AT HER... GO GIRL . Just like me X(
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Its good to have a buddy but if you hate going to the gym alone you probably do not have a plan set. I go alone all the time and I go in with my workout plan set up, tunes in my ear and the eye of the Tiger. This way its less talk and more working out.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I usually go on my own. I tend to be less distracted that way. I don't mind it. I usually bring an audio book to listen to while on the treadmill so it's my reading time too!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Nope. I hate going to the gym with people. They want to talk. Distract me. Always comment on "wow look at you" or complain "I can't do this."

So I prefer to go alone. I get into my own head, and it is my "me" time.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I go alone, but that's just how I started and I've never felt the need to find a partner for the gym. I will say that if you feel it will help your motivation, then go for it! Just make sure you find a partner that wants to work out as much as you and isn't going to turn your session into a talk-fest.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If your gym has classes take the classes.. your suddenly not alone. :-)
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of going with other people. But that's just me.
  • jess0105
    jess0105 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I prefer going alone. For me it isn't a social thing; I do what I need to and then leave! I get too distracted and do less if I go with a friend x
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    half the time I go alone and just enjoy the me time and the other half of the time i drag my husbands best friend with me, he is a marine so you would think he would be a good motivator but really he just pretends to work out while positioning himself with a great view of any cute girls at the gym....