i hate going to gym alone

Options

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you want to go to the gym to chit chat, then you should bring someone, if you want to go to the gym to workout, go alone.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Unless a friend and I are doing the same routine I hate going to the gym with other people. If they're done before me I feel rushed. If I'm done before them I feel like I didn't do enough. It's just not worth the hassle of trying to coordinate schedules either.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I like going to the gym on my own. Buddies can motivate you but they can also demotivate you. I learned that from being at the gym a while back, I went with my friend and she got done running way before I was planning on it, but for some reason I got off too. Or if they are not training as hard it can make you think that you can let up a little. I've gone to the gym again since then with that friend, now I keep going at my pace even if she leaves. So there are ups and downs.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I generaly go by myself and just put in my tunes and work my *kitten* off. If I go with someone I find it takes up time from my workout and pisses me off because the time I could have been doing "active recovery" I find myself waiting for the other person to finish their set :/
  • Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    I like going alone but if my brother tags along, he goes his way and I go mine. Usually it's just me and my earbuds!
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Get over the gym codependency. It is only hindering you. Push hard, zone out, and get to it. :D
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I recently hired a trainer for weightlifting and we started working out together. It's so much more fun for me. I wouldn't want to work out with someone who isn't at my fitness level though. I can keep up with my trainer pretty good on most things.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home cuz I feel I work harder in my own house where I don't feel at all insecure about how I look around a bunch of super fit people and I don't feel insecure at all about working my *kitten* off. The one nice thing about a gym though is they have all this equipment there and so if I do go to the gym, would take a friend that is supportive type along with me.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym alone means...

1) You can successfully motivate yourself.

2) Working out is a priority, not socializing.

Nothing wrong with having a friend there, but also nothing wrong with going alone.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I used to like going with my friend. We're having trouble now because I want to work out longer and be healthier, but she wants to stay at the same pace she's been at for two years (which is biking slowly for 45 minutes while reading a book). It's helped in some ways, but I'm concerned it will start to be a hindrance.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I typically like going by meself but it's nice to have motivated friends go too.

I put together a mud run team and my best friend went will me to "train" Tuesday. We did the high incline rolling hills program on the treadmill and that was the best workout I have had in awhile!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i'm kind of a loner, so i like working out alone. other people mess my groove up.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I love working out alone. I'm at the gym long enough already. Years ago I had a partner and it just took too long to get a work out done. Alone is much better.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership anymore, so I work out at home. But when I did have a membership, I went by myself. I want to do my own thing and not have to wait around for someone else. Several years ago, my husband and I went to the gym together for a stretch of time. I had way more experience lifting weights than he did, and I tried to give some constructive criticism a few times. It didn't go over well.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't like going to the gym alone but I find I don't get as good a workout if I go with a friend. I found joining a class works well for me. I use to attend a water exercise class three times a week. It was pretty much the same people all the time so you get acquainted. My work schedule doesn't allow for that now so I am looking for something I can do around work. When it gets warmer I can walk and I'm looking at joining Curves as soon as I can afford it.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I prefer a partner. I like a spot and busting out forced reps.
    Sometimes you have to go solo though. Gotta do what you gotta do.
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    Unless it's summer and I'm walking outside, I like to be alone. I banish my husband to the bedroom when I'm working out to a DVD or lifting weights in the front room. He doesn't mind. We have a TV in there, an Xbox, and he has his laptop. :tongue:
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym alone. I always have someone with me. Not that we really talk while we workout but I enjoy the company
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I usually go with my wife and we are together when we walk in an when we walk out...the rest of the time I'm doing my thing and she's doing hers. Unless she needs a spot on the bench, we don't work out together. I find that I keep a better focus when I'm working out with just me.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    i dont "hate" it by any means...but it certainly does help to have someone to motivate me and tell me what to do.