Morbidly Obese mother files complaint

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hope this situation is a brutal wake up call for this woman. How can you even get mad at someone for suggesting an option that would be much safer for your child to come into this world?? How in the world can you be a mother and only be thinking of yourself in this situation?? I am a mother..and this makes me sick. I hope to god this woman changes..for her childs sake.

I hope so too, but as you can see we have generations of people who are more interested in their own comfort and "right to do..." than the health and welfare of their children let alone other people. Sadly this is not their fault as most of them learned it from previous generations. It is, however, getting progressively worse, or at least seems like it is. The margin of what we are willing to accept under the auspices of social correctness is growing wider and wider, and while I think we all should learn to love one another and accept one another, we do not have to personally accept disease.

I have to agree with this, though I am a devout Libertarian and feel that no one should be told how to live..... Unless it is effecting the welfare or liberties of others.

If I want to do drugs or hire a prostutute or commit a victimeless crime, I should be free to do so. But once I make a *decision* for myself that effects others, I'm fair game for criticism.

LMAO! So over-eating is now a worse sin than committing an actual crime?
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I gave birth to my second child in May only a month after my husband died. I was pre-ecplamptic and EXTREMELY swolen and sick and my daughter was born 7 weeks early. When they took me to the OR to perform the c-section the anesthesiologist looked at me and audibly "tsk'd". He then proceeded to talk to the others in the delivery room like I was not there-he kept saying I don't even feel like trying to start a spinal block/epidural on someone this "fat". Really why would anyone even try to have a baby this heavy...this is ridiculous...i think I will just put her to sleep because this is ridiculous...the nurses and other doctors in the OR were visibly uncomfortable with his ranting against my weight...one of the nurses holding my hand asked who i had coming in to be with me during the delivery and I started crying...I told her my mother was scrubbing up, because my husband had just died...I started crying again b/c i missed him, I was scared for our daughter, the doctor was being HORRIBLE and it was just a terrible experience. The anesthesiologist then yelled at me to hush up my blubbering or else he was going to put me under and stop trying to thread a needle through all of my fat. I was utterly humiliated...it was a terrible experience.

Later the hospital representative came to talk to me about my experience and I told her about the anesthesiologist. She paused and then patted my arm and said sorry-she it had happened before and that the anesthesiologist was just truly concerned about my welfare. Somehow it didn't feel that way to me.

-hug-
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If I want to do drugs or hire a prostutute or commit a victimeless crime, I should be free to do so.

Mandy, doing drugs and hiring a prostitute are far from "victimless".
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    If I want to do drugs or hire a prostutute or commit a victimeless crime, I should be free to do so.

Not in all cases. If someone chooses to smoke pot who are they hurting? If two people consent to have sex in exchange for money, which one is the victim? Afterall, prositution is legal when a woman marries a man for his money....

Of course, once again with every argument on this thread, there are extreme situations that differ.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Mostly because they're illegal. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms...
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I gave birth to my second child in May only a month after my husband died. I was pre-ecplamptic and EXTREMELY swolen and sick and my daughter was born 7 weeks early. When they took me to the OR to perform the c-section the anesthesiologist looked at me and audibly "tsk'd". He then proceeded to talk to the others in the delivery room like I was not there-he kept saying I don't even feel like trying to start a spinal block/epidural on someone this "fat". Really why would anyone even try to have a baby this heavy...this is ridiculous...i think I will just put her to sleep because this is ridiculous...the nurses and other doctors in the OR were visibly uncomfortable with his ranting against my weight...one of the nurses holding my hand asked who i had coming in to be with me during the delivery and I started crying...I told her my mother was scrubbing up, because my husband had just died...I started crying again b/c i missed him, I was scared for our daughter, the doctor was being HORRIBLE and it was just a terrible experience. The anesthesiologist then yelled at me to hush up my blubbering or else he was going to put me under and stop trying to thread a needle through all of my fat. I was utterly humiliated...it was a terrible experience.

Later the hospital representative came to talk to me about my experience and I told her about the anesthesiologist. She paused and then patted my arm and said sorry-she it had happened before and that the anesthesiologist was just truly concerned about my welfare. Somehow it didn't feel that way to me.

When I read stuff like this I wish I could punch them in the throat. (I'm not a violent person though) The thought just feels nice...LOL The "good girl" in me remembers, What goes around comes around. You are a beautiful woman, and no one should EVER belittle another individiual like that. I am so sorry you have had to experiance all of this, and I pray you become a stronger person regardless of someone else's opinion. (((hugs)))
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I delivered in my small town hospital when I was over 300 lb and my doctor never said anything about sending me somewhere else. I can't see why her weight alone would require her to be sent to a "more equipped" hospital. Unless she had other issues that she is just not mentioning...?
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Honestly, I hope this situation is a brutal wake up call for this woman. How can you even get mad at someone for suggesting an option that would be much safer for your child to come into this world?? How in the world can you be a mother and only be thinking of yourself in this situation?? I am a mother..and this makes me sick. I hope to god this woman changes..for her childs sake.

I hope so too, but as you can see we have generations of people who are more interested in their own comfort and "right to do..." than the health and welfare of their children let alone other people. Sadly this is not their fault as most of them learned it from previous generations. It is, however, getting progressively worse, or at least seems like it is. The margin of what we are willing to accept under the auspices of social correctness is growing wider and wider, and while I think we all should learn to love one another and accept one another, we do not have to personally accept disease.

I have to agree with this, though I am a devout Libertarian and feel that no one should be told how to live..... Unless it is effecting the welfare or liberties of others.

If I want to do drugs or hire a prostutute or commit a victimeless crime, I should be free to do so. But once I make a *decision* for myself that effects others, I'm fair game for criticism.

LMAO! So over-eating is now a worse sin than committing an actual crime?

That's not what I said. And just because something is a crime doesn't mean it should be. In the state of Indiana it is illegal to have a puppet show or tumbling event for money.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    I delivered in my small town hospital when I was over 300 lb and my doctor never said anything about sending me somewhere else. I can't see why her weight alone would require her to be sent to a "more equipped" hospital. Unless she had other issues that she is just not mentioning...?

Equipment. My nurse friend said their beds are made to hold 400lbs max but in an OB GYN setting, the stirrups may not be able to support her weight.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Really this topic has died yet...
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why people think fat people, no matter what, should have to kill themselves trying to be thin. I'm sick of hearing this sentiment.
    It's okay to get fat or be fat or stay fat.

I agree with you. My choices are mine. I'll accept whatever consequences they bring.

Except that your choices affect more than just you. We in this country are extraordinarily selfish and self centered, even if we do not mean to be. This is the way of western society: rugged individualism with little desire to compromise our comfort for the sake of others. That is not too say we are all greedy or we do not help others, quite the contrary in fact. That face of the matter is that obesity (not using the word fat) is a diease by all acceptable medical standards. the causes of obesity, whether they are medical, psycholigical or sociological are well documented and known. Our abject failure to treat obesity is analgous to knowing the causes of cancer yet doing nothing to cure it because cancer is a "lifestyle."

Please explain how MY obesity affects YOU, a total stranger. Because I am among a statistic? What happened to love the sinner and hate the sin. In my opinion, YOU are the one who is being selfish and self-centered. My rights and freedoms are only acceptable as long as they don't impact YOU. But your bigotry has an impact too.

First of all, the choices each of us makes have ripples across all of society. I am not a bigot nor a hater, in fact just the opposite but you illustrate perfectly what I am speaking about. Discussing in an open group my opinion that obesity is a treatable disease which should not be accepted is neither bigotry nor hate, just the cold hard truth. We cannot continue to live in a world where we simply live and let live, when said living is detrimental. As for you being a statistic, those statistics impact the cost of healthcare not only to me but to everyone. You are free to do as you want, and I would never infringe on that, but if one choses to exercise poor habits, than those of us who are trying to make changes should not be asked to carry the burden. There are PLENTY of other diseases for which we all should chip in to treat rather than one which is medically treatable and preventable before it becomes life threatening. You do not know me and I do not know you, so calling me selfish is a bit shirt sighted. My observation that continuing in behavior which is detrimental to one's child, spouse, life and the rest of us is most certainly selfish. I am not sure anyone can formulate a sensible argument that it is not. It appears that you are working dilligently to improve your fitness, so I am not sure why you are even arguing for accepting obesity.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Equipment. My nurse friend said their beds are made to hold 400lbs max but in an OB GYN setting, the stirrups may not be able to support her weight.

Oh : /
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

When I read stuff like this I wish I could punch them in the throat. (I'm not a violent person though) The thought just feels nice...LOL The "good girl" in me remembers, What goes around comes around. You are a beautiful woman, and no one should EVER belittle another individiual like that. I am so sorry you have had to experiance all of this, and I pray you become a stronger person regardless of someone else's opinion. (((hugs)))

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is why we have to be a little more sensitive about the issue of obesity. Sure, people make bad decisions every day, all the time. Sometimes it is over-eating, sometimes it is using drugs. Self-destructive behavior can be defined in so many different ways. Either way, I don't think there is one person anywhere that can claim to have NEVER made a bad choice. That doesn't mean anyone has a right to hate you for those choices. Even if, you have the perception that that person's decision affects you in some way.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming is a real thing and all people regardless of size and shape should still be treated with HUMAN decency. So please stop comparing people to farm animals.

HOWEVER, being told you need to lose weight by a doctor is not fat shaming, they are just doing their job, as long as they do it professionally. People are very sensitive about their weight because a lot of people DO discriminate, but they need to learn to tell the difference between people discriminating and people being concerned or real.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I have no idea why people think fat people, no matter what, should have to kill themselves trying to be thin. I'm sick of hearing this sentiment.

I agree with you. My choices are mine. I'll accept whatever consequences they bring.

Except that your choices affect more than just you. We in this country are extraordinarily selfish and self centered, even if we do not mean to be. This is the way of western society: rugged individualism with little desire to compromise our comfort for the sake of others. That is not too say we are all greedy or we do not help others, quite the contrary in fact. That face of the matter is that obesity (not using the word fat) is a diease by all acceptable medical standards. the causes of obesity, whether they are medical, psycholigical or sociological are well documented and known. Our abject failure to treat obesity is analgous to knowing the causes of cancer yet doing nothing to cure it because cancer is a "lifestyle."

Please explain how MY obesity affects YOU, a total stranger. Because I am among a statistic? What happened to love the sinner and hate the sin. In my opinion, YOU are the one who is being selfish and self-centered. My rights and freedoms are only acceptable as long as they don't impact YOU. But your bigotry has an impact too.

First of all, the choices each of us makes have ripples across all of society. I am not a bigot nor a hater, in fact just the opposite but you illustrate perfectly what I am speaking about. Discussing in an open group my opinion that obesity is a treatable disease which should not be accepted is neither bigotry nor hate, just the cold hard truth. We cannot continue to live in a world where we simply live and let live, when said living is detrimental. As for you being a statistic, those statistics impact the cost of healthcare not only to me but to everyone. You are free to do as you want, and I would never infringe on that, but if one choses to exercise poor habits, than those of us who are trying to make changes should not be asked to carry the burden. There are PLENTY of other diseases for which we all should chip in to treat rather than one which is medically treatable and preventable before it becomes life threatening. You do not know me and I do not know you, so calling me selfish is a bit shirt sighted. My observation that continuing in behavior which is detrimental to one's child, spouse, life and the rest of us is most certainly selfish. I am not sure anyone can formulate a sensible argument that it is not. It appears that you are working dilligently to improve your fitness, so I am not sure why you are even arguing for accepting obesity.

And did you feel that way when you were 145 lbs heavier? Obviously, at some point, you didn't feel that way because you let yourself become 145 lbs overweight.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would think she would want the best care she could get, regardless.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

And did you feel that way when you were 145 lbs heavier? Obviously, at some point, you didn't feel that way because you let yourself become 145 lbs overweight.

You are making a devil's advocate argument that does not make alot of sense. It sounds like you think we should simply accept people's behavior when it is destructive. It is quite possible I allowed myself to gain weight because I did not take the health concerns seriously enough. Frankly, I cannot tell you why I gained so much weight except that I liked to eat. Regardless of the reasons, I was wrong to allow myself to gain so much weight. I do not understand why you are advocating for obesity? If you read all my posts you would see that first and foremost I advocate lovingly embracing all people regardless of their situation. Lovingly embracing an alcoholic, drug addict or food addict does not mean I lovingly embrace his or her bad habit or think it should be viewed acceptably by society. I tend to lean more liberterian also meaning people should be free to do as they please, but with that freedom comes the responsibility of not screaming when care you need for problems caused by said behavior is not available. In much the same way, I had to spend 3 months on a medical weight loss plan to show my dedication to LapBand, people who are suffering from addiction or obesity should demonstrate a willingness to get well. As long as this willingness exists than by all means throw the kitchen sink at them to help.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Not in all cases. If someone chooses to smoke pot who are they hurting? If two people consent to have sex in exchange for money, which one is the victim?
    My replies here would totally derail this thread. I've already got a warning for that! :wink:
    Afterall, prositution is legal when a woman marries a man for his money....
    Meh. Not the same, but I'm guessing you were just being snarky.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    He should have just told her the truth. Not lied about the reason. Falsely stating that it is "company policy" is a cop out and unprofessional.

We have no idea what actually transpired. Perhaps the doctor DID try to reason with her and explain the situation before saying that.
    This woman does not sound like a reasonable individual.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    (removed comment so as not to piss everyone off)