Has any one tried CLA?

Options
1235»

Replies

• skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Another study that it may be helpful in women with metabolic syndrome

Microencapsulated conjugated linoleic acid associated with hypocaloric diet reduces body fat in sedentary women with metabolic syndrome.
    Carvalho RF, Uehara SK, Rosa G.
    SourceMedicine Department, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Animal studies have suggested beneficial effects of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in reducing body fat mass and improvement in the serum lipid profile and glycemia. However, these effects are controversial in humans. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of microencapsulated CLA supplementation on body composition, body mass index, waist circumference, and blood pressure in sedentary women with metabolic syndrome.

METHODS: This study was a placebo-controlled and randomized clinical trial. Fourteen women diagnosed with metabolic syndrome received light strawberry jam enriched or not with microencapsulated CLA (3 g/day) as a mixture of 38.57% cis-9, trans-11, and 39.76% trans-10, cis-12 CLA isomers associated with a hypocaloric diet for 90 days. The subjects were monitored to assess variables associated with the metabolic syndrome, in addition to assessing adherence with the intervention.

RESULTS: There were no significant effects of microencapsulated CLA on the lipid profile or blood pressure. Mean plasma insulin concentrations were significantly lower in women supplemented with microencapsulated CLA (Δ T₉₀ - T₀ = -12.87 ± 4.26 μU/mL, P = 0.02). Microencapsulated CLA supplementation did not alter the waist circumference, but there was a reduction in body fat mass detected after 30 days (Δ = -2.68% ± 0.82%, P = 0.02), which was maintained until the 90-day intervention period (Δ = -3.32% ± 1.41%, P = 0.02) in the microencapsulated CLA group. The placebo group showed this effect only after 90 days (Δ = -1.97% ± 0.60%, P = 0.02), but had a reduced waist circumference (Δ T₉₀ - T₀ = -4.25 ± 1.31 cm, P = 0.03).

CONCLUSION: Supplementation with mixed-isomer microencapsulated CLA may have a favorable effect on glycemic control and body fat mass loss at an earlier time in sedentary women with metabolic syndrome, although there were no effects on lipid profile and blood pressure.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nothing works as good as clean eating and exercise :)

^^^^ this.. CLA is Conjugated Linoleic Acid it can be found in meats mostly and dairy.. although usually not in enough amounts to make a difference.. Even supplementing w CLA you won't notice a difference WITHOUT clean eating and exercise..

Save your money buy a pair of workout pants that make your butt look good or a pair of workout shoes that make you want to workout!!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You lost me at Dr. Oz. :sick:

^^^ This. Guy's an idiot!
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes Dr. Oz will promote anything. But you can find plenty of studies that are favorable for CLA supplementation. You still have do your part though with exercise and clean eating. Its something that is not going to hurt you, so anything is worth a shot if it aids in your efforts. People increase their protein through shakes and bars, etc. I don't see any difference than if you want to add natural occuring supplements.
  • fdedler
    fdedler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard about CLA from my older brother, who is very into body building. He adds it to his supplements when he really has to lower his body fat and nothing is getting off the last bit. I have problems managing my blood sugar and I was going through a phase where I was just not building muscle or losing weight in my exercises. I changed my diet around to have more veggies and less refined carbs and tried the CLA for the second month. I did not drop like 5 pounds or anything like that, but with the diet change and the CLA it helped me to get off some stubborn fat on my hips and thighs. As for the rest of my body it was not a huge change, just on like the upper hips and inner thighs.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    hey OP...take the crap, just you plan on.
    lose the initial weight, and when you decide you dont wanna pay for the crap anymore and gain weight back, cmon back and reread the responses in here. then, do it right and enjoy the successes brought to you by dedication, will power, and hard work. (just like those who told you NOT to take the crap)

out.

ok so maybe you didnt read anything I posted?!?! :grumble:
    lets try reading before we post!

-shrug- I wouldn't pay too much mind.. some people use it, even body builders while others don't. It's not an instant weight loss solution
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Yes Dr. Oz will promote anything. But you can find plenty of studies that are favorable for CLA supplementation. You still have do your part though with exercise and clean eating. Its something that is not going to hurt you, so anything is worth a shot if it aids in your efforts. People increase their protein through shakes and bars, etc. I don't see any difference than if you want to add natural occuring supplements.

Well said.. especially the comparison between protein supplements and naturally occurring ones. CLA compared to let's say some crap like ephedrine is much better (less side effects, risk of illness) and I don't really see it as a diet pill.

I'm kinda pissed Dr Oz backed this cause now it makes any positive studies that support the use of CLA look silly. Not looking to get into another argument about what I want to do with my own body but just sayin'.. when I was at 40% BF, it helped me reduce it dramatically. Compared to when I was the same BF% and without. And of course, I ate clean and exercised for atleast 30 mins per day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation for body comp

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    So I was watching Dr. Oz...

no. (sorry crank :heart: )

:angry:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I tuned out after you said "Dr. Oz"...
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Please ignore all that jazz. Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. Try to do this slowly enough that you don't damage your body. That's pretty much it. There is no supplement that I know of that will help you to speed up this process or make it easier.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for a magic pill I understand what I need to do to lose the weight but I was looking for something to target my abdominal area. Even when I was 50lbs lighter I I still had fat in my mid section that I couldn't get rid of. Thank you all for your input and honest answers

I hate to be the one to break it to you (if no one has yet, I haven't read the whole thread) BUT, you cannot target a specific area. Regardless of what you do, your body will burn fat where it sees fit to. The best thing you can do is strengthen the muscles (with strength training) so that when you do lose the fat (through healthy calorie deficit) there will be something to see. Plank position exercises are good for the abs. Just don't expect to see your abs until you lose the fat which will, unfortunately, take some time as often the stomach is the last to go. :grumble:

Don't waste your hard earned money on fad diets and/or pills. They have not been scientifically proven to do much of anything, at least not permanently. The most you lose with them is water weight.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your post but I really wanted feedback from ppl who have experience using it.
    Informed people would not have experienced it for good reason. Particularly because this is not how the body works. Have you ever seen someone take CLA and all the fat drop off their belly before everything else? Everyones genetics are different, you will carry your weight in certain areas more then others. This is why tummy tucks can end in a lot of appointment's. It's not like you can take out belly fat and suddenly the fat just stays away from there and you stay an hour glass, even if you kept the same weight.
    Your research must've missed the scientific community.
    This. The studies done on humans have been very slim and the control on them has been vague (for example, they do not say if they are eating at a deficit or not or if the food is controlled). And if it was controlled, that's why they lose weight lol. But I have seen studies showing that they do not decrease the girth of the abdomen.

Also, like the person above mentioned, you can not spot reduce a specific area. That's not how weight loss works. Ab work isn't going to make fat fall off the targeted area, pills do not make things fall off targeted areas, surgery don't keep the fat off targeted areas.

What you can do is be the best you can be. You can firm up with exercise. You can retain the muscle you have with strength training. You can lose fat with a calorie deficit (exercise is great for this). You can lose inches with both. But you can not point to a spot and say "Hey, I"m going to lose it from here".
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation for body comp

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

Actually, there is a study done at the University of Toronto that proves otherwise, more so in obese/overweight individuals.. more recent than the one you posted. States an overall decrease in body fat everywhere, not specific areas. I trust that one cause I live and have studied at said university which is a no nonsense school..

I think people are confusing CLA with a diet pill.. CLA is not a diet pill unless you choose to use it or view it that way. Like everyone else said, it can't cut fat from specific areas but in those who are obese or overweight, it can assist in overall fat loss in conjunction with a slight calorie deficit and exercise.

So ****ty to see people who haven't tried it putting down a natural supplement.. it's better than taking steroids..........
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    With that out of the way, OP PM me if you want to hear advice from someone who has taken it and is brutally honest.. everyone else is just calling it a diet pill when some don't even know what the hell it is (jlapey) :laugh: Some people are cheap which is perfectly fine, others just haven't tried it. Some just want to be right so they will post anything to prove what they want you to believe. Studies are studies.. many of them are not specific enough to really gauge how pertinent they are to what you want to know (e.g. exact BF measurements before and after, what they're eating and exercises are specifically day to day)

DavPul pretty much said the gist of it in the nicest way possible. I think though for someone who has a lot of FAT to lose, it doesn't hurt. It's natural, better than taking steroids, diet pills and stuff that will make your heart go nuts.

You just need to ask yourself: do you want to spend the extra money? If no, keeping what you are doing, you will make it eventually. If you are open to all the benefits outside of possible fat loss, e.g. improved body composition, blood pressure, heart health, osteoporosis, etc and want to spend $15 on a natural derived supplement, go for it.

Best luck.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So I was watching Dr. Oz and I notice he mentioned CLA... to make a long story short I am now using it and was wondering of anyone else has and what type of results did you get while using it. Did it help at all with the loss of belly fat?

Not another Dr. Oz post???? All together now, repeat after me - Dr. Oz panders to women who are looking for quick fixes, short cuts, miracle pills and fad diets. Those things do not work. Not only do they not work....they drain your pocket book. The best way to get fit and stay fit is to commit to a healthy lifestyle, eat smart, watch your portion size, drink lot's of water and get some exercise! It takes hard work and dedication...and THAT can not be replaced by a pill!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    So I was watching Dr. Oz and I notice he mentioned CLA... to make a long story short I am now using it and was wondering of anyone else has and what type of results did you get while using it. Did it help at all with the loss of belly fat?

Not another Dr. Oz post???? All together now, repeat after me - Dr. Oz panders to women who are looking for quick fixes, short cuts, miracle pills and fad diets. Those things do not work. Not only do they not work....they drain your pocket book. The best way to get fit and stay fit is to commit to a healthy lifestyle, eat smart, watch your portion size, drink lot's of water and get some exercise! It takes hard work and dedication...and THAT can not be replaced by a pill!

Thankfully, CLA was used by bodybuilders, the fit and obese alike before Dr. Oz blew it out of proportion.

I think anyone who reads this by now is aware by now that goals cannot be met without exercise, healthy eating and commitment. Don't put down supplements, it's OK to say that you don't take them. Natural supplements actually help people and in rare cases, save lives..