Psychology of "eating out"

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For me, eating out is a rare event and a treat...usually means my wife and I are on a date. My wife and I eat out maybe once or twice per month...namely because I enjoy cooking and eating out is frankly not all that fun with a toddler and infant in tow.

I don't necessarily consider it an indulgence if I'm eating something besides a salad or something. In fact, I very rarely have salad...I eat all kinds of stuff and I don't consider them indulgences. The fit in my calorie goals and my macros and I' m good to go.

When I eat out, my food choices are most directly linked to the type of restaurant I'm eating at. If I'm out for Japanese, I'm going to have sushi...if I'm at a steak house, I'm having steak and the traditional sides. I don't really see that as an indulgence...I eat steak and potatoes at home all of the time as well. If I'm at a pizza joint, I'm having a pizza...Italian and I'm having pasta. I just don't see why one would choose to go to a steak house or something and just get a salad...that's just bizarre to me...go to a salad bar if you want a salad.

Really, I think it comes down to ones definition of indulgence...is indulgence a certain food...macro or micro nutrient? For me, it's not. For me, an indulgence would be overeating my calories...and personally, nothing wrong with that as long as it's not routine. "Naturally" skinny people indulge...they just don't make a habit of it.

I suppose if I was made to eat out frequently I would have to consider things differently...but as rare as I eat out, I eat whatever I want and don't worry about it.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

What is the allure of "eating out" that makes it not only OK, but expected, that one will indulge?

I'm not sure why but I prefer to eat out.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of eating out I am doing. Am I out and about running errands and stuff, then I probably grab something quick and easy and cheap. But if eating out is my entertainment for the night well I am going to eat several courses and fill myself.

I was watching what I ate a few years ago and the family and I went to Bertucci's for Pizza. Their pizza is to die for. But since I was watching what I ate I had a salad with Chicken breast. The salad was horrible. The chicken was a small overcooked portion. I sat there hating my meal watching my family enjoy theirs and I love pizza. I swore then that if I go to a speciality restaurant like a steakhouse, then I would have the speciality in this case pizza.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My thoughts EXACTLY. If it's something I am MORE than capable of making at home, i'd much rather do it myself. I know what goes in it, i get to add what i want, and i make sure it tastes the way i want.

The only reason i would eat out is if it's something special or something im completely incapable of making myself.
    I just posted this on my blog, but decided that it might be fun to get some perspectives here.

After being away for a week on business and a week of vacation, we finally got some groceries into the house - which means that I am back on track with my eating. It is amazing to me what a difference it makes having the right foods around rather than trying to order out and get the right foods.

But then that made me wonder, isn't that a big part of the problem. Why is it that one can be perfectly content eating a big old spinach salad at home, but ordering one from a restaurant feels like punishment? Why does it feel like a victory to have ordered a sandwich at a place like Subway and NOT get the bag of chips they push on you with the "combo," when if you'd made that same sandwich at home you'd never even have thought about chips.

What is the allure of "eating out" that makes it not only OK, but expected, that one will indulge? Is it rooted in our old way of thinking - when eating out was a treat and 99% of your meals were made and eating at home? If that is the case, what does it take to erase that old mindset? I've been eating more meals out than at home for years, so eating out no longer should seem like a treat to me. In fact, eating a home cooked meal really had become a treat for a while I was eating out so much - but that wasn't enough to erase that mindset that eating out meant indulging.

Thoughts??

Who wants to order things they can make at home, ideally the food you order is something you don't often eat and of high quality. What fun is it to order plain boring food while out
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    can we be naughty yet>
  • averous214
    averous214 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I also see "eating out" as kind of a treat and it is difficult to skip the cheddar bread at Red Lobster or the falvored tea at a restaurant and even the baked lays at subway. The problem becomes when you have to eat out due to necessity, either job dictated or like you said on a vacation, then you are at the mercy of the hotel you stay at and the area around you and that becomes a problem. So it does become harder to stick to your diet because we all consider eating out as a treat. So when I am working away from my home (which I did for over 100 days last year) I try to eat smarter at the breakfast buffets, then I plan out my meals at the restaurants I eat at and I try my best not to fall into the meal traps. Taco Bell has an excellent salad, but then they ruin it with the side of chips, same goes for subway, wendy's etc. Another mitigation method is to work out extra while on the road to account for the extra calories while eating out.

I think the other psychological issue of eating out is the economic aspect. When we order a chicken ceasar salad that we could have easily made at home, we feel kind of bad for paying for it, especially if we are eating out at a really nice restaurant. We also feel guilty when ordering water, or even worse paying for bottled water. In the end we just need to get over it and do what is best our bodies.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Probably my favorite thing to do is eat out. Mostly because it is a time for good interaction and it usually is for the benefit of others. I could sit home by myself no problem but if i have an opportunity to eat out...i'm diving right on it.

I see what you did there.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Like you said, it's pretty easy for me to cook healthy meals at home. I avoid buying things like frozen pizza because if it's there, that's the only thing I'll want to eat. So when I go out to eat, it's harder to avoid the "bad" things because they are right there. Also, if I'm going to spend money to eat out, I want it to be something I'm really going to love...not that I don't love a reallllly good salad, but restaurants have meals I would never make at home, and to eat those kinds of meals would be a treat. Plus, eating at home, my fiance and I are eating the same thing. If I go out to eat, and my friends or all my coworkers are ordering pizza, I'll feel less satisfied with my salad because I'm seeing them eat those foods I loooooove but feel like I should avoid. To combat these things, I try to go to restaurants that have a variety of healthy meal options. Cheesecake Factory is my favorite. Everyone I know likes that place- it has something for everyone- and their "Skinnylicious" menu has all sorts of stuff- HUGE salads, burgers, sandwiches, pasta, meat/chicken/fish, tacos, enchiladas, etc. so I CAN have something that doesn't look or taste like "diet food" but it's still under 600 cals.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For me, eating out is a rare event and a treat...usually means my wife and I are on a date. My wife and I eat out maybe once or twice per month...

This is why marriage sucks....sex life goes straight out of the window!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The problem I have been having for about the last year, is that I am a better cook than d@mn near every restaurant in town. (Especially when my garden is cranking out vegetables.) Why spend $100+ on a nice meal out, when for half that, I can get fresh everything and make it myself, not have to worry about driving home after drinking a bottle of wine, and do it all in my jammies if I so choose? Eating out have become an occassional necessity as opposed to a regular treat.

That being said, if I am going to eat out, I agree with the first response: I want what I cannot make at home. (At which point I will usually dissect it so I can replicate & improve it.)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For me, eating out is a rare event and a treat...usually means my wife and I are on a date. My wife and I eat out maybe once or twice per month...

This is why marriage sucks....sex life goes straight out of the window!!

Then perhaps you are married to the wrong person. Sex should get WAY better and creative with the person whom you trust the most in this world.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is because we go out to get something we cannot make at home, or something that would be too much trouble to make at home. That is the point of going out. I'm not making complicated sauces or 20 layer cakes or wood fired pizza. I go to places that specialize in those particular things. And there is no point of going to these places if you are not going to get what they are best at.
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat out once a week as a kind of relief from the every day boloney of me fixing dinner, barely getting to the table before everyone is finished and then cleaning up after everyone. I make smart choices also within the realm of the restaurant. Don't want to pay exhorbant fees for a salad when half the time it comes with cheese and too much dressing. I order specials or chef's favorite and just limit my portion sizes accordingly. Also order twice the veggies and no rice, potatoes, etc as they usually aren't worth the calories.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    can we be naughty yet>

Thats what I came in here for
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    We eat out for dessert a lot. Usually right before we fall asleep.
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat out more than I eat at home. I hate cooking, I am not creative, and I hate cleaning up! I have plenty of friends who like to meet for dinner. It is hard not to indulge when you go out, but a big part of going out is usually socializing with friends/family. I try to look at the social aspect of it and tell myself - you are not here to eat crazy! You are here to be with so and so . . . I try to focus on the social activity part rather than the food part. Restaurants have become more health conscious, and it is usually pretty easy to order within your calories - as long as you PLAN for it. I like to look up the menus BEFORE I go, plan my meal, and make sure I don't go over my calories. Plus, restaurant portions are controlled - you get the plate in front of you and you eat it (or part of it!) At home, it is easier to have seconds, thirds, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Probably my favorite thing to do is eat out. Mostly because it is a time for good interaction and it usually is for the benefit of others. I could sit home by myself no problem but if i have an opportunity to eat out...i'm diving right on it.

i can't top this. well played sir, well played

applause_zps160699ba.gif
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mea culpa - I walked right into all the dirty minds with my title. I didn't think that kind of eating had a caloric factor.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Since I think we're supposed to be talking about food, I'm a mom of a 2 year old. I don't care what the restaurant puts in front of me so long as it tastes good, someone else cooks it, and I don't have to do the dishes while simultaneously keeping the restaurant from being destroyed. Because at home, that's the way it goes. 30 minutes of house cleaning for every 5 minutes spent in the kitchen.

If they put a candle on the table at IHOP and there was a babysitter at home with the kids, I'd be game.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Why put "eating out" in quotes only to make this post about actual food?
    I know I'm not the only one disappointed by this.
    :grumble: