Fat Makes You Fat/Fatter

Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
You've prob heard quite a few people, here and elsewhere, say "Fat doesn't make you fat". While true it is excess calories that makes one fat, not any particular macronutrient, does eating a surplus of fat make you fatter than other macros? The answer to that would be yes.

Ketogenic diet-fed rats have increased fat mass and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase activity

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mnfr.200700415/abstract?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+on+23+February+from+10:00-12:00+BST+(05:00-07:00+EDT)+for+essential+maintenance

rat-ketogenic-diet-2.jpg
KD-fed rats gained weight at a less rapid rate than normal-fed rats, but with a significant increment in fat mass. The fat mass/body weight ratio already differed between ketogenic and control rats after the first week of treatment, and was 2.4 x higher in ketogenic rats

Before you scoff at it being a rat study, keep in mind that the esteemed Gary Taubes used rats as evidence carbs were evil in his books and the fact that DNL is much more efficient in rats than humans.

Fat and carbohydrate overfeeding in humans: different effects on energy storage. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995; 62: 19-29.

www.ajcn.org/content/62/1/19.full.pdf 

68957614109322311177.jpg
35659651808697330639.jpg
Carbohydrate overfeeding produced progressive increases in carbohydrate oxidation and total energy expenditure
resulting in 75-85% of excess energy being stored. Alternatively, fat overfeeding had minimal effects on fat oxidation and total
energy expenditure, leading to storage of 90-95% of excess energy. Excess dietary fat leads to greater fat accumulation than does excess dietary carbohydrate, and the difference was greatest early in the overfeeding period.

So while fat may not make you fat in an of itself it does appear to make you fatter than the other macros. Just a friendly FYI :smile:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    The key being excess. Eating a sensible amount of fat in your diet will not make you fat. The statement that fat doesn't make you fat is usually being given to 1200 calorie dieters who are avoiding eating any fat at all.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Huh. Interesting!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    interesting and @Mokey41 I would say excess anything in macros is going to have a negative effect on the person.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    I wonder if this correlates with proteins and carbs are usually 4kcals per grams and lipids (fats) are 9kcals per gram on energy. That could explain a bit on the extra storage.

If 1 gram of protein/carbs is equal to 4kcals, and 1 gram of fat is 9kcals per gram and you are eating excess wouldn't it make more sense that fat would lead to a larger amount of storage?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    So Acg during a bulk, would you recommend keeping fats at .35g per lb of bw and shoving the rest of the cals in carbs? Or even lower than .35 depending on how lowering fat may affect you in other ways (brain functionality, sanity, libido, etc).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Well that is interesting. But my body can't store it if I'm in a calorie deficit and the more fat I eat the easier it is to stay in that deficit because fat keeps me from being famished.

This could be a concern when I start working on maintenance though.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    I can't access the full study. What type of fat were they feeding the rats. If it is the one I am thinking of they were using an unnatural food source. This could get into a pretty long thread filled with all kinds of study links debating either side of the argument though.
  • Your body needs fats. good fats from nuts and fish. Your brain cells are fat cells. so not fat, brain starves... no brain. lol!!! not really, but funny to think about all those people avoiding all types of fat!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    So Acg during a bulk, would you recommend keeping fats at .35g per lb of bw and shoving the rest of the cals in carbs? Or even lower than .35 depending on how lowering fat may affect you in other ways (brain functionality, sanity, libido, etc).

I'm interested in Acg's answer to this...
  • Acg67
    I can't access the full study. What type of fat were they feeding the rats. If it is the one I am thinking of they were using an unnatural food source. This could get into a pretty long thread filled with all kinds of study links debating either side of the argument though.

Lard
  • Acg67
    I wonder if this correlates with proteins and carbs are usually 4kcals per grams and lipids (fats) are 9kcals per gram on energy. That could explain a bit on the extra storage.

If 1 gram of protein/carbs is equal to 4kcals, and 1 gram of fat is 9kcals per gram and you are eating excess wouldn't it make more sense that fat would lead to a larger amount of storage?

The human trial had the same surplus between cho overfeeding and fat overfeeding groups
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    You don't go into ketosis because of high fat. So what happens with a high fat, moderately low carb, non-ketogenic diet?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Seems legit!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    interesting..what is going to be more interesting is what the actual take away people will get from this post.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Interesting.

Thanks for posting.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    I am not a rat*.

*This is completely and totally irrelevant to the original post, but I see that people on this website like to respond to research by saying that they are not the species studied, and I wanted to try it out for myself. It feels as dumb when I write it as I think they are when I read it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Wouldn't a ketogenic diet is significantly different to what your typical 'normal' high fat diet would be like?

The state of 'Ketosis' which then follows I thought meant that the body did work differently.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I am not a rat*.

*This is completely and totally irrelevant to the original post, but I see that people on this website like to respond to research by saying that they are not the species studied, and I wanted to try it out for myself. It feels as dumb when I write it as I think they are when I read it.

Maybe.

Here is my read of the study.

The keto diet rats experienced less weight gain and higher fat / body mass ratios. Some of the criticisms that are reasonable to make, and that the authors also mention:

- this is a "eat all you want" study - possible during restriction (I am not a rat eating like a little pig) the results will be quite different.
    - the fat accumulation seen with these rats has not been reported with equivalent diet in children using these diets as therapy for convulsions (am I more a child than a rat?)
    - insulin resistance increase seen in this study for the keto diet rats is actually the opposite of the insulin sensitivity seen in humans with keto diets (rats are different about some biological markers)

Despite these comments, it is a very interesting study, and I'd say that the methodology and the authors conclusions suggests that one of the followup should be a cross-over (my thought) with calorie equivalent restriction - no one here really eats as much as possible.

What it does suggest is:

- macros are very, very important.
    - maybe, just possibly, and to be verified, bulking with a keto diet (high fat/high protein) is a bad idea in terms of body composition
    - mechanism of weight control in keto diets are more related to satiation (my conjecture), since the rats ate less in ad libitum.

Thanks for the article!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    Yup, dietary fat might not be the go to macro for building lean mass. :wink: