Getting Rid of Cable

Options
1235»

Replies

• oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to keep this going.

I finally got rid of Cable- today is the first.

I was just curious to know what people think about HULU Plus vs regular HULU.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Congrats for saving yourself some money!

I don't use HULU, but I've heard good things about it. I get by with just Netflix and Amazon Prime. Oh, and occasionally we find something good on Crackle.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Ditched mine! Cable is just rediculous. We were paying over $100/month for cable and internet. 700 channels and I probably watched 8 of them. Kept internet and stream Netflix through PS3, although debating on switching to Amazon Prime.

Now, if the cable company would figure out a way for me to order certain channels and ONLY pay for those channels I would get it back again.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I agree. I was paying 144 a month for cable and internet and it was just alright cable- nothing fantastic.

I have looked at the ROKU device- what are their "free" channels like?

I have netflix- I love it. Just was curious if Hulu Plus had a big advantage over hulu.

I don't know much about Amazon Prime
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I will most likely be getting rid of directv in the near future. Checking into roku now!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use a product called the Visio Co-Star. It is a small Google TV box with several different video streaming services, a web browser, email and any other Android application that you can get.

It cost $100. and is the best thing ever to happen to television. Got mine at visio.com

That looks complicated, just looking at the requirements. You have to buy a server for it? Sounds expensive.

There is no server for it, it is a standalone box for a hundred bucks. that hooks up to your tv and internet. The only cost I have is the monthly netflix bill.

Oh, ok. Thanks. They definitely could use a more plainly-stated website. LOL
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have been without cable since last June, and I don't miss it one bit. I also don't have home internet, Netflix, Hulu, or an Xbox subscription. I save a TON of money this way, and I can honestly say I'm never bored. I live my life, rather than require a tv or computer screen to entertain me.