What amazing new food did you discover this week?

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
mmmm couscous! It's my newest discovery :)

Replies

• wettak
    wettak Posts: 16
    Options
    If you like couscus, try quinoa. I like to cook mine in low sodium chicken broth...adds a lot of flavor!
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
    Ground flax seed. It makes me soooo full!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is terrific! Just tried it two weeks ago.

My current addiction is zucchini sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil and tons of garlic. YUM.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    HOMEMADE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE!! SOOOO YUMMY AND SOOO HEALTHY!!!
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I rediscovered peanut butter and avocado. So yummy!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    If you like couscus, try quinoa. I like to cook mine in low sodium chicken broth...adds a lot of flavor!
    I will look for it next time we shop! I havnt tried it yet because I heard it has a very earthy flavour and that didn't sound very yummy to me.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options

I tried couscous a few weeks ago and wasn't a big fan of it. How did you make yours?
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Quinoa is great.. We eat it quite often. You can also mix it with fruit drinks/shakes/etc (after boiling it a little bit) to add some protein and fiber. As far as recipes you can substitute it for rice. Something easy to make is add some low fat cheese, a little skim milk, and some broccoli and make a nice tasty dish.

Recently, I discovered a fruit called a Tropical Melon. It is a hybrid of a cantaloupe and a honeydew. Personally I prefer the non hybrids but that's just me.

Also, recently they had rambutan at the store.. I'm not sure what else it might be called but it looks like a sea animal outside but has a fruit inside that is sweet and quite good.

Yes, I love fruit!
  • kerrilucko
    Options

I tried couscous a few weeks ago and wasn't a big fan of it. How did you make yours?

I just boiled it, added a little bit of butter and then topped it with a bit of sliced sausage and pasta sauce. I like the flavour, and it's not as heavy as rice.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Has anyone ever had a dragonfruit? i saw them at the store and was curious
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Okay..this'll sound odd because it's SO obvious to a lot of people but....

EGG WHITES

I typically would eat the whole egg and limit myself to 1 a day. But now Im thinking of protein sources for snacks and egg whites is coming up a winner and it's pretty tasty [once you add a few drops of hot sauce].
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    dried apricots!
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I've never had a dragon fruit, but in Peru there is a fruit that looks almost identical called "Tuna". It comes in a green and red variety with the seeds mixed in the fruit like the dragon fruit. I'm getting hungry.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I tweaked my banana recipe once again so that is has NO added sugar or added fat. Just bananas, whole wheat flour, oats, egg whites, unsweetened applesauce, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

I top it w/ 1/2 tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter and it is even yummier!
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You should try Israeli or Pearl Couscous too if you can find it. It is slightly larger and delicious!
  • jennai
    jennai Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I found Thomas' bagel thins. It completely satisfies my bagel cravings, but for only 110 calories!
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options

I make mine w/ lots of garlic, oregano & lemon. A touch of evoo too. Soooo good :) They even have a whole wheat version too.
  • foxywife75
    foxywife75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my house we've introduced so many new foods: salmon, chia seeds, psyllium seed husk, ground turkey, quinoa, agave, beans, cacao nibs, & soy milk :happy:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that I like eggplant. Low in calories, high in nutrients and great as a side! I baked it drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that I like eggplant. Low in calories, high in nutrients and great as a side! I baked it drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

Do you "salt" it to remove the bitterness? I heard you are supposed to do this but I cant even begin to determine the sodium count so I've never tried it!!!