What's the single most effective change you've made?

Options
Just curious!

For me, it was taking a pot of porridge to work and having breakfast later, rather than eating a breakfast that I didn't want at the crack of dawn...it seemed to make me hungry all day! Now I have breakfast around 9.30am and don't feel hungry between meals, so no snacking. Sounds pretty basic, but it was a revelation to me!

What's yours?

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump as very keen to see what everyone puts!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    regular exercise... i can more or less eat what i like (maintenance of net 2000 cals) as long as i am working out 4-5 x a week...
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Joining the gym! I've never had a gym membership before and it keeps me motivated...Especially now that I'm almost 2 months in and certain people EXPECT me to be at the gym each morning.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Probably having a small, low calorie, snack every 2-3 hours. It keeps me from feeling like I'm starving, which always leads to overeating at the next meal. I typically try to make it something high in protein, fiber or both.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Greatly reducing the amount of sugar (except) from my everyday life.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Practicing portion control & measuring everything!!
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    currently...reducing my carbs from pastas/rice etc...fruit carbs I'm really not fussed.

No...I'm not saying carbs are the devils spawn....just that reducing how often I eat my pasta/rice dishes and mix it up a little has helped with my plateau
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Breakfast = every day...... This helps me start the day in a more healthy manner,...before this change, I'd tell myself I couldn't face it and would wait 'till much later to eat and then be so starving hungry, that I'd stuff myself full of all the wrong things!:smile:
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Controlling how many and what type of carbs I have. For me this works.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Weighing pasta. The difference between what we thought was a healthy portion and what IS a healthy portion are ever so slightly different :bigsmile:

Is that another Moonwalker I see? I did it in 2008 to celebrate being 40!
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food and controlling portions, understanding how many calories I was eating vs. needing.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Trying as hard as I can, and on days that I fail.....not beating myself up!!!!

negu!~never ever give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Portion control. I was out the ballpark with the sheer volume of food I was putting down at every meal.
  • fourtyandflirty
    Options
    Exercising at least 4 days a week. Always coming on here and tracking my food..helps alot
  • krisbeaver
    krisbeaver Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym consistently.
  • GlorianEversea
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in two weeks and I believe it started the EXACT moment I stopped eating out for two meals a day!!!! Portion size control is so important....as is knowing the content of your meal.
    I'd guess I was averaging 700 calories per meal.

Secondly, i cut out the junk snacks. Now that I understand caloric intake much better, I understand I get that I was basically nuking my fitness with stupid comfort snacks, like Ms Debbie cakes and Starbucks junk and the like. I was easily adding 300-600 calories to my diet with these snacks.

Third, daily exercise.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    cutting out starches was the best thing for me... and exercise everyday of course.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Planning my meals in advance.

I never used to do this, so when I got hungry I just wanted something that would fill me up quick. The generally led to bad choices.

Now I plan my meals and know exactly what I'm having everyday, it's worked great for me :drinker:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Eating more!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Portion control and actually being aware of caloric intake! :)