Is obesity 'normal' where you live, or 'abnormal'?

Options

Replies

• Abi_bug04
    Options
    In Lexington, KY...it is unfortunately WAY TOO COMMON! :S (The OBESITY rate (not overweight...OBESITY!) is 30.1% in KY for 2011)...and is predicted to jump from a 30 percent adult obesity rate in 2011 to 60.1 percent in 2030...

In fact, at over 200lbs, I am in the middle of the 'size' category...It's actually very sad!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I live in SoCal and you would think that it would be a "thin/health" area but its not. When we go to the beach I would say 90% of the population (including children) are either overweight or obese. I am 5'5" and 164 so I am overweight too; though when I tell people my weight they are shocked. Am I just dense?

interesting. that's not my experience at all.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I live on a base ( very small one) there are about 14 women here 2 of us are about 10 lbs overweight, two are fit and the rest are obese to morbidly obese, as far as the men go 2 or 3 are over weight, one is obese and the rest are fit.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Houston definitely has a huge issue with obesity. Our city isn't set up for walking to and from places very easily - you really need a car to get around. You can attempt to foot it or ride a bicycle, but it's very dangerous with traffic. I liked being in New York because you could walk all over the city - it seemed easier to walk than to drive.

The more time people spend in their cars/in traffic, the more stressed out they are. They tend to eat more fast food. They move less and eat more calories. All these things contribute. Also, we are Southern - we still eat a lot of home-cooked fried food and outrageously delicious barbecue with all the fixin's. Our serving sizes are gigantic, and everyone tries to outdo everyone else on entree size.

Hopefully we will gear toward being more healthy in the future.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Very normal here, I get told almost once a week that I'm too thin. I'm not too thin, it's just that everyone else is big! When all you see is big people, it becomes normal. Sad really.
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    Unfortunately here in SE Louisiana, it is common ...
  • ashheartshawaii
    ashheartshawaii Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it is the norm in Arkansas, where I live. It's kind of ironic, because about eight years ago, when I weighed almost three hundred pounds, it was abnormal. I could never find anything to wear! Now that I am no longer plus size, there seem to be much better fashion options for bigger girls.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I live in Orange County, CA and it depends on the area. In north county and the inland areas, it's particularly common, especially the in the less affluent cities, and cities with big tourist attractions (I tend to feel pretty good about myself at Disneyland!) On the coast and in south county, it's less common. On the coast you get a lot of affluent neighborhoods and body-conscious beach-goers/ surfers/etc. South county has a lot of health-conscious people and it's an attractive, safe area so I constantly see people running, walking their dogs, etc.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was until my husband and I really started to try and lose weight and eat way less, but now it's like everywhere I look there are so many people that are not just obese but morbidly obese it's so sad I myself by the bmi counting am still considered obese which is bad but I'm changing that but these people seem to not know that it's killing them I made bad mistakes about my food choices and things like that, but I'm still probably only 1/3 of some of these people, I mean sure there are lots of skinny people too, but lately we've noticed so many more obese people around
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm in NorCal and in my small town it's pretty normal. Not so much in the bay area at least from what I've seen. People seem more active down there. My town is a hub for weed so that might explain it. Lol
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I live in an obese area. I am one of the thinner people and I am considered obese by my BMI (though barely). :p
  • Kimmy_927
    Kimmy_927 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wichita KS is one the most overweight cities in the U.S. Poverty is correlated with being overweight.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I live in the midwest, near Detroit, so it's very normal. I fully believe that lower income levels and obesity have a strong correlation.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I live in Maine now but grew up in Vermont, and being overweight or obese is definitely abnormal. But at the same time, people here are so accepting that you will NEVER receive rude comments from strangers or anyone else.

I went to college in Mississippi and it's definitely more 'normal' there. Whenever I went out to bars, I was regarded as the 'hot girl' because the standards/expectations of beauty are much different than the fitness/health junkies of New England :-)
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Last year, Richmond was noted as the 2nd most obese state in the US with 30% of the cities population being classified as obese. I'm just outside of Richmond, but it's pretty much most of the state of VA.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Houston definitely has a huge issue with obesity. Our city isn't set up for walking to and from places very easily - you really need a car to get around. You can attempt to foot it or ride a bicycle, but it's very dangerous with traffic. I liked being in New York because you could walk all over the city - it seemed easier to walk than to drive.

The more time people spend in their cars/in traffic, the more stressed out they are. They tend to eat more fast food. They move less and eat more calories. All these things contribute. Also, we are Southern - we still eat a lot of home-cooked fried food and outrageously delicious barbecue with all the fixin's. Our serving sizes are gigantic, and everyone tries to outdo everyone else on entree size.

Hopefully we will gear toward being more healthy in the future.

I can't think of anything to add to this about Houston.

I'm lucky enough to live in a pretty pedestrian-friendly area (I can walk to the grocery store and retail places), but yeah. For the most part, you NEED a car to get around. And our traffic is award-winning.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I live in Orange County, CA and it depends on the area. In north county and the inland areas, it's particularly common, especially the in the less affluent cities, and cities with big tourist attractions (I tend to feel pretty good about myself at Disneyland!) On the coast and in south county, it's less common. On the coast you get a lot of affluent neighborhoods and body-conscious beach-goers/ surfers/etc. South county has a lot of health-conscious people and it's an attractive, safe area so I constantly see people running, walking their dogs, etc.

I'm from SoCal and this is my experience as well. I live inland in the burbs and it feels like most everyone is overweight, though maybe not too many morbidly obese folks. Go to the parks or to the beach closer to the coast or in nicer areas and people tend to be pretty fit and active. We have great weather, so at work is kind of a mix. Lots of healthy and active people doing all sorts of things. But also a fair amount of overweight/obese older guys at my workplace. For some reason, the women are all fit and healthy with very few exceptions (me being one of them). I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that we are pretty male dominated here so the men typically do the hiring :wink:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Manhattan - obesity is definitely less prevalent here because everyone has to walk everywhere! Love it.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Im in NYC too, healthy neighborhood.
  • herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in an affluent area of London (England) and I'd say it's pretty abnormal.