Is obesity 'normal' where you live, or 'abnormal'?

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Toronto.. thankfully most are not as obese here as most are in the US. People still have ---t diets though
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    No, It's definitely not norma;l here in Canada. I've always been surprised of guys looking my way ( before I got married) when I was travelling in the US unitl I realized that I had a shape they were a lot more used to see than the guys that live around me normally.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    i live in Houston, Tx. one of the fattest cities..

obesity is normal for both adults and children... i think pets too.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Obesity is not funny but I had to lol at the pets
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Abnormal.

I can't remember the last time I saw what I would consider to be an obese person in the area that I live.

I didn't know there was a such thing as a town without a Walmart...

There is such a "town" -- New York City. Obesity is very zip code specific here. A lot of people are very fit here, but in poor neighborhoods it is rampant. In manhattan a lot of very fit beautiful women.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Middle of the ground. I live in an affluent area surrounded by "country".
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Abnormal - I live in Montreal - a city of beautiful people..

I also lived in Norway for a year - I was probably the biggest girl in the country at 175 pounds at 5'4!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Fairly normal here in the Fresno/central valley area of California. Did a quick google search and found my city ranked 30th (out of 100) with a D+ on a list of fattest cities. I don't see it all the time, but went to the zoo last week with my family, it was pretty busy that day, and I was struck by the number of obese people I saw, both adults and kids.

I don't see it a lot, but do notice it more when I'm shopping on the weekends, like at Costco or someplace like that, or in crowded places like the county fair, etc. Seeing the really overweight kids really makes me sad.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    A lot of over weight people. A decent amount of obese, mostly in older people. I see way too many heavy kids though (pre-teens and early teens)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Abnormal here in Ottawa - there are a lot of really health-conscious people and fitness junkies with all our beautiful river paths and nearby provincial park that attracts bikers, skiers, hikers and marathoners.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I live in Miami, so it very much depends on where in the city you go. For our neighborhood, being overweight is normal, but down on the beaches, it's not the norm except for tourists.
  • mnb7v3
    mnb7v3 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm in college, so it depends on where you are in my college town. On campus? Someone who is obese will REALLY stand out next to the mostly thin college students (especially the girls). But around town, I'd say it's probably about average for America.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My city is famous for a sandwich called a horseshoe - 2 pieces of thick toast, 2 (insert your favorite meat here - ex: fried buffalo chicken, hamburger patties, etc.), covered in french fries and topped with about 3 cups of the most amazing cheese sauce!

So my answer is definitely a YES - its hard to find a thin person, but I'm working on that! : )
  • bethann223
    Options
    Just wondering if obesity is 'normal' in the where you live or 'abnormal'?

Sometimes I forget that the US is about 70% overweight or obese, living in the area I live in. But of course when I go on vacation to other parts of the US or drive a few hundred miles away, I realize it. But where I live (a wealthy suburb of NYC) you really don't see a lot of overweight or obese people here in this area. The area where I live spends a lot of money on high quality food (tons of health shops around here) and fitness is a part of every day life around here.

What I've noticed is that places that are "wealthy" (monetarily) do not have the obesity issues that poorer areas do.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have seen 1 seriously obese person here in Switzerland in 4 years, and maybe 2 handfuls of what you can call fat.

Swiss are the 3d non-obese in world ranking after Korea and Japan, interestingly, they also have the largest chocolate consumption per capita in the entire WORLD :smile:

They also are big cheese and wine consumers - but still not obese due to very(!) modest portion control and a wide variety of sports they do. They could absolutely set the example for anyone.

Oh, and organic vegetable selection completely outweighs the very low-key fast food presence. There is only a single Mcdrive in Zurich, the biggest city of the country...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I live in Ken and Barbieville - no joke. So there is NO PRESSURE to be as fit and healthy as I can be. 40 lbs from even being in that class of fit ready and 4% BF away from my target.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    In the part of the city I live in, more abnormal than normal. If you look at my metropolitan area as a whole, more normal than abnormal.
  • beets_yum
    Options
    I live in NYC which is of course thinner than most of the rest of the country. But even here you can see the differences by neighborhood--usually connected to income levels. It's a mixture of education, marketing, time, and money. Yes, obesity is related to income. But there are plenty of other factors at work.

The worst part is the myth that you need to spend a lot of money to eat well. Also, while junkfood and fast food seem cheap, they are very expensive when you take into account eventual medical costs associated with eating these foods, not to mention environmental costs, etc.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I lived for over 30 years in Colorado. I loved it there. It is one of the healthiest states. Then we moved to an unhealthy state 3 years ago. Not our choice on places to live, but whatever. About 2/3 of adults here are overweight. There may be some areas that are healthier, but not where I live. There is a state campaign to get us healthier. I wonder how that's working out. It's not unusual to see a 3 year old with his own bag of chips and soda at the playground. This is paving the way for obesity and bad teeth. It's pretty sad. I live in a big college town, so this area should not be uneducated. They are not big on recycling either, which bugs me. But that's another story. Don't get me started on their driving habits. Rant over.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So very normal here in the midwest. Unless your into cold weather sports, apparently the only other choice is to eat like a bear all year and hibernate in the winter. Except they eat while they hibernate too...
  • beets_yum
    Options
    [I didn't know there was a such thing as a town without a Walmart...

There is such a "town" -- New York City. Obesity is very zip code specific here. A lot of people are very fit here, but in poor neighborhoods it is rampant. In manhattan a lot of very fit beautiful women.

Haha. Yes. We have no Walmart. But people can eat fine shopping at Walmart if they are buying real food.

Also we walk everywhere. I use my car maybe 2X a week. I live in Brooklyn in a neighborhood that used to be very middle class and therefore a mix of sizes in the normal human range . Thanks to gentrification in other hoods it's getting more fancy and the 6' size 0 8-months pregnant women are creeping in.