Crossfit- Your thoughts/opinions

Options

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the articles. That helped. I like the idea of varying my workouts everyday, but I think crossfit might be a little too hardcore for me at this stage in my life.

I used to be one of those bike 100 miles in a day or spend 2 hours in the gym per day kind of people, but that was in my 20s.

Honestly, that's one of my fave things about CF. I'm not there for 2 hours. The actual workout is sometimes only 5 or 12 minutes! We'll spend 15-20 minutes on a particular strength move prior to the WOD most days, but from the time I walk in the door, to the time I walk out is NEVER more than an hour. And that includes a lot of time standing around BSing with others... :)
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options

i didn't say it was for everyone.

i don't crossfit. i have done some CF inspired work outs and have taken a few classes, but i like going to the gym on my schedule.

and i know that some people need the motivation to push through a work out. maybe they need others cheering them on, or maybe they need not to be the last person finishing a WOD. whatever.

it gets people moving, motivated, and trying new things. i've rarely seen anyone do a power clean at my gym other than myself. but if i do, i'm pretty sure they learned it from crossfit.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just adding to that thought. :)

Saying "Blech! Not for me!" does not equate "No, and everyone who likes it sucks."

ETA: Again, not saying you think this at all, just adding a clarifying thought to what you had written.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    <-- Want want WANT to do crossfit but it's soooo expensive and my city only has one CF box and its in the other end of town(not very good on those 1-meter snow and -15C days).

The way I see it, CF is more of a sport than hitting the gym. It's more extreme, you push yourself towards clear goals and maybe even choose to compete sometime. I think that's why it's gotten so popular. Some people need clear goals and a bit of a competition to stay motivated.

You can still do crossfit inspired workouts and get pretty far on your own. Most gyms have alot of the equipment and you can choose wods by what you have at hand. It's not the same, I know, but it's halfway there. =)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but have a friend who does and have been with him a few times, so here's what I've seen

Pros:
    -Super enthusiastic crowd
    -supportive community
    -workouts tailored to your fitness level
    -everything is tracked well, so he can clearly see how his max lifts are improving

Cons:
    -expensive
    -I think lifting heavy for time or as a race is f#cking dumb
    -the WODs don't seem to have any clear progression, you may work the same muscles many days in a row
    -my friend has had many injuries (see 'lifting heavy for time')
    -coaches pushing the paleo diet (some of the worst biochemistry I've ever seen in my life was from an xfit blogpost)

Its not for me, but I can see how some people enjoy it.

Pushing the Paleo diet turns me off, I don't push my eating habits on others so I'm not sure why they push the Paleo diet on everyone who is interested in Crossfit.

I know plenty of ppl that do crossfit and aren'tdoing strict paleo
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty simplistic to just say Crossfit=BAD. Yes, there are some poor CF trainers and boxes. But it would be ridiculous to assume all the CF boxes/trainers are unsafe or irresponsible places/trainers.

We've all seen lots of really poorly executed CF exercises and WODS, but I'm not sure we've all seen great ones. I know I have, and when you see CF being done right, it's impressive.

I think people have the idea that CF is some sort of exclusive club, but I get the sense that it's actually pretty inclusive if it's a good box and has good trainers. WODs are scaled, form and safety is taught, there seems to be a great sense of camaraderie and friendly competition. There's a reason the regular CFers love it and it seems like "a cult" to those of us who don't CF.

I don't CF, but I've been curious about it. I'm happy and pretty busy lifting heavy a couple days a week and training with kettlebells right now, but who knows what the future holds!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty simplistic to just say Crossfit=BAD. Yes, there are some poor CF trainers and boxes. But it would be ridiculous to assume all the CF boxes/trainers are unsafe or irresponsible places/trainers.

We've all seen lots of really poorly executed CF exercises and WODS, but I'm not sure we've all seen great ones. I know I have, and when you see CF being done right, it's impressive.

I think people have the idea that CF is some sort of exclusive club, but I get the sense that it's actually pretty inclusive if it's a good box and has good trainers. WODs are scaled, form and safety is taught, there seems to be a great sense of camaraderie and friendly competition. There's a reason the regular CFers love it and it seems like "a cult" to those of us who don't CF.

I don't CF, but I've been curious about it. I'm happy and pretty busy lifting heavy a couple days a week and training with kettlebells right now, but who knows what the future holds!

Excellent point.

I've seen bad trainers at regular commercial gyms and fitness managers that don't care about who joins their gym.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Excellent point.

I've seen bad trainers at regular commercial gyms and fitness managers that don't care about who joins their gym.

Both of these!!!!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like the loud music and camaraderie at the CrossFit boxes I've been to but I don't think I would pay for a membership

Fortunately, my job involves travelling and I've had the chance to drop in to workout in Vienna, Brazil and across the US. I recognize that Crossfit has the potential to be dangerous. I consider myself to be in touch with my abilities and limitations. However, I can also see how someone that isn't comfortable with the workout could easily get hurt.

Lastly, I don't like sacrificing form for speed and the cultish behavior (paleo, Reebok gear, five figner shoes, etc.) but I'm an adult and know how to take what I like and leave the rest.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did it for over a year. I did learn a lot about lifting, and it gave me the knowledge to do everything myself. That's the good part and I am grateful I had the opportunity to try it (at a really great box, I've heard horror stories about bad boxes).

The bad:

1. Expense. I don't need to pay $180 a month to run around a building, do 30 walking lunges, and 20 wall balls. I can do it on my own.

2. Cult-like. You have to conform, wear the Crossfit clothing, do Paleo diet, and wear compression socks or you're not cool. :laugh:

3. Some of the workouts were great, but some were ridiculous. I mean, I don't need to be pushing tires and do 100 thrusters at high speed and without caution. I just don't.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth. I also think they focus more on upper body strength, which for ME personally isn't my thing. I do upper body, but I focus more on lower. The women at my box have really big arms and shoulders and a lot of them have the V shape going. That's not for me.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    My rotator cuff hurts just thinking about it.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    here is a good, pretty unbiased article, on crossfit.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/

I was also going to suggest this link.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i have never done a crossfit workout but i've researched it and have had a desire to check it out.

I find it interesting that most people seem to think that you have to go to a box or a gym to do crossfit. somebody correct me if I am wrong, but i thought the vast majority of people doing crossfit were doing it in a home gym and following the WOD on-line.

Its been my plan to join a box to get my feet wet, and then continue at home after getting more equipment.

But honestly... i though crossfit was more then crazy calestenics and powerlifts. i thought the incorperated gymansitcs stuff like rings, hand stands, parralell bar type stuff. I'd like help learning the olypmic lifts, but i'd be comfortable doing that on my own if the 180 price tag didn't come with some instruction in the more gymnastics type stuff. hell i see people flipping around and doing handstands and ring moves on the websites, thats not part of crossfit?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Before you get involved with Crossfit, you might want to check out this article from the NY TIMES. It is a very extreme exercise program with a high injury rate.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."

If you want an exercise program with lots of variety, my advice is to check out boot camp classes in your area. Some boot camp classes are much more reasonable than others, but they should let you watch a class or two before you decide to sign up.

Good luck!
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am torn on this topic. They have torn our work gym apart and made it into a crossfit masterpiece but the good thing about crossfit is that it is customizable to you. I would say that if you try it and don't like it then fine stop it. Most exercises can be done at home and without much equiptment. Look at their website and also see if any of the gyms have free weights. Also check out the Spartan Race Work out of the Day - very similiar to a crossfitter workout. Those who do it seem to like it.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. Went to check it out once and was honestly shocked at what I saw. It was a bunch of people doing olympic-style lifts to failure, for speed-- with horrible form. And if that isn't dumb enough, the progression they did them in seemed like it was specifically designed to cause a back injury. On top of that, it's very expensive.

The other thing that struck me-- and crossfit fans, I'm sorry, but I have to be honest here-- was the cult-ish vibe. What I kept hearing was people praising the community, and their "identity" as a crossfitter meant everything to them. If it were free that'd be one thing, but it isn't, and it felt like they were selling access to an in-group more than anything else.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    i have never done a crossfit workout but i've researched it and have had a desire to check it out.

I find it interesting that most people seem to think that you have to go to a box or a gym to do crossfit. somebody correct me if I am wrong, but i thought the vast majority of people doing crossfit were doing it in a home gym and following the WOD on-line.

Its been my plan to join a box to get my feet wet, and then continue at home after getting more equipment.

But honestly... i though crossfit was more then crazy calestenics and powerlifts. i thought the incorperated gymansitcs stuff like rings, hand stands, parralell bar type stuff. I'd like help learning the olypmic lifts, but i'd be comfortable doing that on my own if the 180 price tag didn't come with some instruction in the more gymnastics type stuff. hell i see people flipping around and doing handstands and ring moves on the websites, thats not part of crossfit?

It is! And I started out doing it at home. I did the "no equipment needed" body weight only WODs until I was ready to kick it up and spend the $$ to go to the actual box and pick up heavy stuff and hang on the rings and stuff.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Can't afford it. *End thought*

Yeah, I'm sorry I am desensitized by the military. Free gym.

Haha, yep, not so much around here. I have a friend who recently broke down her cross-fit lifestyle budget for me, and it totalled about $400/month.

Just spoke to my friend about it today. He loves it, but he does 3 classes per week which costs him $160. No thanks!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    idk, these are the two biggest cons i've seen so far

- Form MIGHT be considered second to speed/reps buy some coaches

- Worried that there might not be a whole lot of thought put into the progression of the work outs from week to week so that some body parts might get to much and some to little.

heres a question to the people that do it: is it your only work out? specifically your only weight training workout?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    hahaha. I saw the title of the thread and was like "oh health gal is gonna be on this!" I was surprised it wasn't until page 3! This is someone asking what you think about crossfit- totally aprpopriate to say you don't like it :)

Ok. So my two cents: I love crossfit work outs, but form is uber important. i haven't ever gone to a crossfit gym, but i do bear complexes, 20/20/20, etc. The exercises are totally awesome if you are looking for intensity, which I am. I view it as a substitute for HIIT cardio, which is part of my program. I do not consider it lifting, as my lifts are heavy. Crossfit stuff is done with warm up level weights.

That's my 2 cents.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    the community aspect is big for me. i was hoping to make some like minded friends.

but if i am going to be shunned for not wearing what everyone else does or talking/acting the same way (as suggested in an earlier post) then it just sounds like highschool all over again lol