Do you go to work when you're sick?

Options
13»

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Generally not - I definitely wouldn't go if I had pink eye or something that was obvious so people would stare at me. Ewww...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Yes. I co-own my business with my sister, so I could take a day off if I felt that it was absolutely necessary. I hardly ever get sick though.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If I had 15 sick days I'll tell you right now I'd be out for 2 weeks.:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Jeffdawn64
    Jeffdawn64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As adults, conjunctivitis should not be an issue because we know better, know how to wash our hands and not touch our faces. Yes, it is contagious but with proper care/efforts you can stop the spread. Would you stay home if you had a fever blister?? That is Herpes Type 2 and is very contagious. I personally will go to work with most illness' as I am an adult and know to use the crook of my arm to cough, wash my hands, and use hand sanitizer. Personally, Just dx with bronchitis and walking pneumonia last week, Took Fri/Mon off as I was running a high fever. Went to work Tues because the fever was low grade and I was on antibiotics. But, I used common sense and followed the above precautions.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I have. I worked for a single dad who left for work at 4 AM. To him, a sick sitter was better than having to call out of work and lose money.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    As adults, conjunctivitis should not be an issue because we know better, know how to wash our hands and not touch our faces. Yes, it is contagious but with proper care/efforts you can stop the spread. Would you stay home if you had a fever blister?? That is Herpes Type 2 and is very contagious. I personally will go to work with most illness' as I am an adult and know to use the crook of my arm to cough, wash my hands, and use hand sanitizer. Personally, Just dx with bronchitis and walking pneumonia last week, Took Fri/Mon off as I was running a high fever. Went to work Tues because the fever was low grade and I was on antibiotics. But, I used common sense and followed the above precautions.

I don't agree with this.I sometimes have to do overrides on other peoples computers and I'm not going to trust everyone to practice proper hygiene.I also have little kids and wouldn't want to pass it to them because then I WOULD have to take a sick day because schools don't allow it.

Nope,it's a snowball effect and if someone comes to work with it,they should expect to be sent home.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I go to work sick.

I'd rather save my sick days for days when it seems like a much better idea to stay home and have a few beers.

My mental health is just as important.

"I've used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in well today."
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I am very blessed to be able to work from home when absolutely necessary. I show up to work unless I'm flat out downright ill and contagious. But I also hate missing work! Just such a pain lol
  • Gemalar
    Gemalar Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sick or what Ive got, we have policies in place for certain things because we have kids with reduced immune systems so we have to be extra careful,
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am a contractor and my contracting agency doesn't give me Sick Days or Vacations. I set aside 100 dollars a week so that I can take a 2 or 3 weeks vacation a year and also take some holidays off too. I am able to do 90% of what comes up from home as easily as I could from my desk so if I got sick I would work from home if I were able to think and type.

When we were going to get a couple of feet of snow I gladly worked from home.

But I would have to be dying to take a day off because I was sick, it's almost 300 dollars out of our pockets and I would rather have that money against something more fun than being sick.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Unless I can't get out of bed, yes. Or if I have the flu.

They do provide masks and I have a few in the car and my locker. I put it on and off I toddle.

I will tell fellow workers I am sick and steer clear of me. I take my breaks alone and my job is just me. I'm lucky I'm not part of a team at times.

If I had sick time I would use it but we don't so I can't.

It does tick me off when others are sick and they know it and are right up in your face and then tell you they are sick. I have told a few people off and now I prefer to take my breaks alone. Not anti-social...just don't need to bring it home to DH. His immune system is not all that great.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It was great hearing everyone's opinions. I am grateful to have sick time when I am really sick. I don't abuse it although I know a lot of people who do. I am always scared if I take a day when I am not sick I will get sick. I am still debating over whether to complain to my boss about it. He won't do anything and she is just ignorant and will make my day miserable. She is an ignorant, loud person who does not get any attention at home which is why she is so loud at work. I should feel sorry for her, but it is hard when she does stupid crap like this.
  • mmmurphy585
    mmmurphy585 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this.I sometimes have to do overrides on other peoples computers and I'm not going to trust everyone to practice proper hygiene.I also have little kids and wouldn't want to pass it to them because then I WOULD have to take a sick day because schools don't allow it.

Nope,it's a snowball effect and if someone comes to work with it,they should expect to be sent home.

Really, do you not know how to wash your hands. Carry a little bottle of sanitizer in your pocket if you're that much of a germaphobe. Wash your hands when you're leaving work and/or before touching your little kids. I work in a pediatric office and get sneezed/coughed on all day. I have never brought anything home to my kids. I usually only use my sick days for my kids.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    We have PTO at my job which is your bank for the year for vacation and sick time. But you can't use it until it has accrued. So if you used up the last of yours at Christmas and therefore don't have any to roll over, you won't have accrued more than about 8 hours by the END of January. We do get 3 'floating holidays' to take at your discretion. Naturally, the epidemics we get around the office usually start around January. I ended up leaving early just this past Monday and taking Tuesday as well for a cold/sinus thing because I felt so miserable. I returned to work still sick and my coworkers that sit near me are coming down with it now too. I wasn't the first sick person in the office so I have no doubt we're all just spreading it around.

If I have a fever or am just plain miserable I'll stay home. If I don't have enough PTO to cover it, or if it's more like a runny nose/head cold type thing,I'll go to work. My coworkers would and DO the same thing I do. So anyone who wants to inform me that I "got them sick"....well, suck it up, sweetheart. Probably someone else in this office got me sick and since I don't have endless paid leave to cover ever sniffle I might have this year, this is just the way it is. And if you can prove it was me, I'll give you a $100 :) There are sick sneezing sniffling people everywhere I go this time of year - at the gym, the grocery store, work, church, etc.
  • avababy05
    Options

Really, do you not know how to wash your hands. Carry a little bottle of sanitizer in your pocket if you're that much of a germaphobe. Wash your hands when you're leaving work and/or before touching your little kids. I work in a pediatric office and get sneezed/coughed on all day. I have never brought anything home to my kids. I usually only use my sick days for my kids.

I'm not a germaphobe,can't really be when you have little kids, but I do catch this easily.I'm not having an employee risk the others in my office or myself.And there is sanitizer all over my office.

If someone is cleared by their Doctor,I have no problem with them working.If my employees are complaining,I have to think of ALL of them.

Your job is based on sick people and mine is based on tight schedules and attendance so,I can't have the risk.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Only if contagious or in absolutely in horrific pain. I was tested on this just in the last week. I showed up and prayed.
  • avababy05
    Options
    And,of course,I know there are illnesses you just can't avoid.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely not, I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer due to me and I wouldn't be as productive either...