who else isn't too worried about 'the rules'?

Options
I stay within calories and try and average a 300 calorie workout each day. That's IT. I don't worry about all the nitty grittys, I don't worry about the 'should's' and I don't really get too worked up if the scales do idiotic things. I feel amazing, fitter, healthier, happier and 9 kg lighter since boxing day.

Who else out there is like me, almost along for the ride, but seeing results? Tbh, if I had to follow the myriad of 'must-do rules'on here, I'd either go mental or give up. Just make it easy on yourself, I say. Good choices, because you want to be healthy.

Anyway, can anyone relate? I'm not havinng a go at those who are way more into the specifics, coz it evidently works for them, but I don't think its necessary for all :)

Replies

• volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I try to stay close to my calorie goals - but if I'm hungry, I eat more - if I'm not - I don't try and find stuff to eat. I try to exercise every day - if I can't make it to the gym, I'll put on a workout video at home (this week was a bit of an exception - I had gastro..ugghh..). If I go to a restaurant that's known for their burgers, I'll order the one I want, and eat half with a side of salad..

I'd go crazy focusing on the details...so, I try to look at the big picture..
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I try to stay close to my calorie goals - but if I'm hungry, I eat more - if I'm not - I don't try and find stuff to eat. I try to exercise every day - if I can't make it to the gym, I'll put on a workout video at home (this week was a bit of an exception - I had gastro..ugghh..). If I go to a restaurant that's known for their burgers, I'll order the one I want, and eat half with a side of salad..

I'd go crazy focusing on the details...so, I try to look at the big picture..
    '

i think (to me anyway) that this shows we're geuinely going to be in this long term, because we've found a way that works for us to get healthy and enjoy life - but sometimes i wonder if i should be trying the nitty gritty stuff.... really not keen though lol
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate. I'm learning what works for me and what I can sustain on the long term. I like to think I've been successful so far by not making drastic changes or trying to conform to anyone's ideals. I'm pretty good at staying within my calorie goal and staying active every day. I understand the negative effects of too much sodium or too much fat, but if I'm in the mood for a burger that's what I'm having. Rules be damned! :devil:
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Since I've started on this lifestyle change, I have learned quite a bit. Much of the conversation here (or anywhere) is noise. People who have asked me how I lost so much weight have gotten a stock answer: "Eat less, eat better and exercise more". Those three things can be expanded upon, but that is enough for someone to improve their fitness and change their body shape.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    if I'm in the mood for a burger that's what I'm having. Rules be damned! :devil:

SO yes!
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Since I've started on this lifestyle change, I have learned quite a bit. Much of the conversation here (or anywhere) is noise. People who have asked me how I lost so much weight have gotten a stock answer: "Eat less, eat better and exercise more". Those three things can be expanded upon, but that is enough for someone to improve their fitness and change their body shape.

yep. a group of non experts who are all equally convinced they have all the answers... this is a unique and independent journey, everyones path is different.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking this exact thing lately! I eat my 1800 a day, sometimes I go over, but it's no big deal. I *try* to get a workout in, even if it is just sit-ups, pushups and planks at home. I do however drink lots of water, like 90 oz a day.... My body seems to like the every other week approach for losing actual weight. Which is fine, because I am 18 lbs down and only started in January.

GL to everyone!
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wasnt too worried about the rules when I gained all this weight....why should I worry now that Im losing, lol!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! Maintainable lifestyle changes!
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If its working for you, you wake up feeling good and your pants fit how you want them to then its working and those are the only rules you must abide by. :bigsmile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a healthy approach. If you are seeing results and are peaceful and dedicated to your plan, then by all means, continue. Godspeed!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot happier now that I've stopped trying to lose weight and instead have focused on making my body more healthy. Weight loss will most likely be a side effect of that--which, I won't lie, will be nice--but it's not the reason I eat the things I eat or exercise.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This, totally. Panicking because I didn't eat every calorie? Stressing about upcoming events for weeks? Daily depression preceded by daily weigh-ins?

tumblr_ma3xc4uVYO1r3l66z.gif

And this isn't coming from someone who's never done those things- it's coming from someone who has, and realized that life's too short. I eat clean, I exercise. I'm just interested in being the healthiest possible me, as cheesy as that sounds.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Yep - I'm finding that if I restrict or refuse myself an item, then I seem to go crazy, thinking and dreaming and obsessing over said item. But, since I am a binger, I need to be careful that a trigger food won't set me off into a thousands-of-cals binge. Tonight, I ate 1/2 a cheese pizza (probably my worst trigger), but still had only 2000 cals for the day. I'm not beating myself up, cuz it's a hundred times better than before I started this lifestyle change :) Good luck!
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I have been thinking this exact thing lately! I eat my 1800 a day, sometimes I go over, but it's no big deal. I *try* to get a workout in, even if it is just sit-ups, pushups and planks at home. I do however drink lots of water, like 90 oz a day.... My body seems to like the every other week approach for losing actual weight. Which is fine, because I am 18 lbs down and only started in January.

GL to everyone!

well done you! xx
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I wasnt too worried about the rules when I gained all this weight....why should I worry now that Im losing, lol!

good point!
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Hell yes! Maintainable lifestyle changes!
    this is it. i can't imagine myself going 50 hours let alone 50 years caring too much about some of the stuff . . . am i fit, healthy and happy?

yes? good.

no? do this again.

the end :p
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I'm a lot happier now that I've stopped trying to lose weight and instead have focused on making my body more healthy. Weight loss will most likely be a side effect of that--which, I won't lie, will be nice--but it's not the reason I eat the things I eat or exercise.

good on you x
    Sounds like a healthy approach. If you are seeing results and are peaceful and dedicated to your plan, then by all means, continue. Godspeed!

yep good results, my body is starting to look awesome
    If its working for you, you wake up feeling good and your pants fit how you want them to then its working and those are the only rules you must abide by. :bigsmile:

yup! but no my pants don't fit how i want them. the old ones are too big and the goal ones jusssssst fit :p
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of somewhere inbetween. I follow my calorie goals, but not too fussed if I'm a bit over or under, it all averages out. I'm usually anywhere from 100-300 cals under, but it gives me wiggle room for the occasional 100-300 *over* day without any issues.

I walk 2 miles a day at a fast pace to get my heart pumping + 30 minutes slow-walking inbetween, I always do my last mile with weight on my back, so my heart-rate is highest for the last mile. Still though, 2 1/2 miles a day of walking isn't crazy. Burns maybe 300 cals max. I'm not running 5 miles a day. I started lifting, but I'm still in the beginners stages and have awhile to go before I start noticing a huge difference from it. I want to up my exercise, but I'm letting it come naturally at the moment.

I eat healthy, but I don't go too food-nazi on myself. I cook two meals a day from scratch most days with fresh, healthy ingredients, but I'm not living off of shakes and skinless chicken. I eat beef, pasta, burgers, sandwiches, anything I generally feel like, and balance it out with vegetables or salads with every meal. Everything I'm making is delicious. Not diet-delicious, just regular yummy! I don't feel deprived. I let myself have a small treat/dessert almost every day. Pudding. Jello. Ice Cream. Cookies. I just work it into my calories for the day. I'm not following low-card, no-carb, full-carb, paleo, high-fat, etc, no solid meal plans or diet restrictions.

I've lost 8 pounds in less than 8 weeks so far. I want to lose around 20 or so, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. I think it's been a success so far even without having a super-solid 'backbone' to the whole affair. Just small changes, day by day, my life and habits are changing and that's the best part. :)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    This, totally. Panicking because I didn't eat every calorie? Stressing about upcoming events for weeks? Daily depression preceded by daily weigh-ins?

tumblr_ma3xc4uVYO1r3l66z.gif

And this isn't coming from someone who's never done those things- it's coming from someone who has, and realized that life's too short. I eat clean, I exercise. I'm just interested in being the healthiest possible me, as cheesy as that sounds.

i love EVERYTHING about your post :laugh: