who else isn't too worried about 'the rules'?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    because, like my grandmama used to say K.I.S.S.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Yep - I'm finding that if I restrict or refuse myself an item, then I seem to go crazy, thinking and dreaming and obsessing over said item. But, since I am a binger, I need to be careful that a trigger food won't set me off into a thousands-of-cals binge. Tonight, I ate 1/2 a cheese pizza (probably my worst trigger), but still had only 2000 cals for the day. I'm not beating myself up, cuz it's a hundred times better than before I started this lifestyle change :) Good luck!

Learnign to recognise your own behaviours, both positive and negative, is half the battle, i reckon. I've battled with an ED to do with self-starvation (similar to anorexia but mostly about control not weight) on and off but this way GIVES me control and so I eat.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I'm sort of somewhere inbetween. I follow my calorie goals, but not too fussed if I'm a bit over or under, it all averages out. I'm usually anywhere from 100-300 cals under, but it gives me wiggle room for the occasional 100-300 *over* day without any issues.

I walk 2 miles a day at a fast pace to get my heart pumping + 30 minutes slow-walking inbetween, I always do my last mile with weight on my back, so my heart-rate is highest for the last mile. Still though, 2 1/2 miles a day of walking isn't crazy. Burns maybe 300 cals max. I'm not running 5 miles a day. I started lifting, but I'm still in the beginners stages and have awhile to go before I start noticing a huge difference from it. I want to up my exercise, but I'm letting it come naturally at the moment.

I eat healthy, but I don't go too food-nazi on myself. I cook two meals a day from scratch most days with fresh, healthy ingredients, but I'm not living off of shakes and skinless chicken. I eat beef, pasta, burgers, sandwiches, anything I generally feel like, and balance it out with vegetables or salads with every meal. Everything I'm making is delicious. Not diet-delicious, just regular yummy! I don't feel deprived. I let myself have a small treat/dessert almost every day. Pudding. Jello. Ice Cream. Cookies. I just work it into my calories for the day. I'm not following low-card, no-carb, full-carb, paleo, high-fat, etc, no solid meal plans or diet restrictions.

I've lost 8 pounds in less than 8 weeks so far. I want to lose around 20 or so, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. I think it's been a success so far even without having a super-solid 'backbone' to the whole affair. Just small changes, day by day, my life and habits are changing and that's the best part. :)

sounds to me like you're in control of your plan :)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    because, like my grandmama used to say K.I.S.S.

wise lady
  • dualspires
    dualspires Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much me. When I go to a restaurant and get whatever I want or I want to eat a damn piece of cake just because I'm craving it, I'm not gonna call it a "cheat day" or feel guilty about it. That's just not a healthy way for me to think about food. Especially when I stay within my calories all other six days of the week and regularly work out. I guess that's why I've actually been having fun with my lifestyle change and getting to my goal weight instead of being miserable about it like everyone I know doing diets haha.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A totally awesome and positive post.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    I'm not havinng a go at those who are way more into the specifics, coz it evidently works for them, but I don't think its necessary for all :)

You're right, its not for all. Some people go specific because it gives faster results or because they can't afford to go off track.
    It's like school. If you do the work you have to do (on time), you'll ace the class. If you just do the work you feel like doing, you could pass the class but maybe not with an A.
    The point is, you get it done. Whether you follow specifics or just enjoy yourself.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    This sounds good but it just doesn't work for me. I don't feel like these new healthy behaviors (eating right, exercise) are a habit for me. I feel like I have to plan out my food, plan out my exercise, or else I just don't follow through. And I don't see results. I have to push myself if I want to make improving my health and changing my body a priority. That has been my personal experience. People can say I'm "obsessed" but honestly I'm just trying to not go back to the way I was (eating fast food and candy all the time and not working out ever).
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I'm not havinng a go at those who are way more into the specifics, coz it evidently works for them, but I don't think its necessary for all :)

You're right, its not for all. Some people go specific because it gives faster results or because they can't afford to go off track.
    It's like school. If you do the work you have to do (on time), you'll ace the class. If you just do the work you feel like doing, you could pass the class but maybe not with an A.
    The point is, you get it done. Whether you follow specifics or just enjoy yourself.

Interesting. This is often the approach I took to my study as well and I got A passes in both degrees and am now a teacher, and I'm pretty bloody good at it. I also train my netball squad in a similar way, and they keep winning. Perhaps I'm simply onto my right formula here with this mindset?
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    I wasnt too worried about the rules when I gained all this weight....why should I worry now that Im losing, lol!

That's the spirit. Balance :drinker:
  • trudijoy
    Options
    This sounds good but it just doesn't work for me. I don't feel like these new healthy behaviors (eating right, exercise) are a habit for me. I feel like I have to plan out my food, plan out my exercise, or else I just don't follow through. And I don't see results. I have to push myself if I want to make improving my health and changing my body a priority. That has been my personal experience. People can say I'm "obsessed" but honestly I'm just trying to not go back to the way I was (eating fast food and candy all the time and not working out ever).

fair enough. i log 99% of what i eat, but for me I do it because it helps me feel in control. I don't care what the makeup of the calories are, or get too worked up if i have to guesstimate.

I think my main point here'is 'do what works for you, not what randoms on a message board tell you SHOULD work for you
  • trudijoy
    Options
    That's pretty much me. When I go to a restaurant and get whatever I want or I want to eat a damn piece of cake just because I'm craving it, I'm not gonna call it a "cheat day" or feel guilty about it. That's just not a healthy way for me to think about food. Especially when I stay within my calories all other six days of the week and regularly work out. I guess that's why I've actually been having fun with my lifestyle change and getting to my goal weight instead of being miserable about it like everyone I know doing diets haha.

it's not cheating, it's life. Eat the birthday cake, play the impromptu game of beach volleyball, buy the expensive shoes :p It's all about YOUR ideal :)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    A totally awesome and positive post.

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh, heck yes! Other peoples' eating and exercise plans are their business, but I know myself pretty well and obsessing about every detail wouldn't work for me. My fitness choices may not meet every (ever-changing) rule out there but as long as I get the results I want, I feel good, and I can keep it up for the long term that's good enough.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calories, get an hour of exercise six days a week, and keep my protein up. That's it. College student lifestyle doesn't exactly allow for crazy diet routines.

I might be eating more tuna sandwiches and lean cuisines than anything, but you know what? If I feel like a slice of pizza, and it fits into my calories, I'm going to eat that slice of pizza. Rules be damned.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I try to stay close to my calorie goals - but if I'm hungry, I eat more - if I'm not - I don't try and find stuff to eat. I try to exercise every day - if I can't make it to the gym, I'll put on a workout video at home (this week was a bit of an exception - I had gastro..ugghh..). If I go to a restaurant that's known for their burgers, I'll order the one I want, and eat half with a side of salad..

I'd go crazy focusing on the details...so, I try to look at the big picture..
    '

i think (to me anyway) that this shows we're geuinely going to be in this long term, because we've found a way that works for us to get healthy and enjoy life - but sometimes i wonder if i should be trying the nitty gritty stuff.... really not keen though lol
    The bolded part is ultimately the goal and the whole reason for all the convoluted rules that people try to come up with. Some of those things get so convoluted they forget about the goal. It's definitely the best way to start out, instead of the ridiculous restrictive things people try to do thinking that they're going to get healthy even though they hate it.

You might find once you are totally comfortable in your current setting and have gained more knowledge that you would enjoy tweaking smaller parts of what you're doing. Years and years of that might get you to a lifestyle you'd find unimaginable today. But I agree that the way to start is where you aren't torturing and depriving yourself all the time. Misery is not a virtue.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I'm with you. I try to stay close to my calorie goals - but if I'm hungry, I eat more - if I'm not - I don't try and find stuff to eat. I try to exercise every day - if I can't make it to the gym, I'll put on a workout video at home (this week was a bit of an exception - I had gastro..ugghh..). If I go to a restaurant that's known for their burgers, I'll order the one I want, and eat half with a side of salad..

I'd go crazy focusing on the details...so, I try to look at the big picture..
    '

i think (to me anyway) that this shows we're geuinely going to be in this long term, because we've found a way that works for us to get healthy and enjoy life - but sometimes i wonder if i should be trying the nitty gritty stuff.... really not keen though lol
    The bolded part is ultimately the goal and the whole reason for all the convoluted rules that people try to come up with. Some of those things get so convoluted they forget about the goal. It's definitely the best way to start out, instead of the ridiculous restrictive things people try to do thinking that they're going to get healthy even though they hate it.

You might find once you are totally comfortable in your current setting and have gained more knowledge that you would enjoy tweaking smaller parts of what you're doing. Years and years of that might get you to a lifestyle you'd find unimaginable today. But I agree that the way to start is where you aren't torturing and depriving yourself all the time. Misery is not a virtue.

yep but that makes it sound like this is a beginners approach to it - and it's not. i've done this this way before and been successful.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried. When I signed on here to lose weight, MFP told me I needed to eat 1240 calories a day or something. I tried that for a while, and wasn't seeing any results...except the obvious result of being really hungry! I do exercise practically every day, and seek to eat back most of my calories. I decided to up my daily to close to 1500, and then I started losing weight. That was 6 months ago, and I have lost 15 pounds! A fluctuation once in a while, but I have made wiser choices, and don't care if I don't log in that I had a tablespoon of half and half!!! This is what worked for me at age 54. I feel really good, and my daughters tell me I look good, too, so that also has been very helpful Love those daughters!!:love:
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Oh, heck yes! Other peoples' eating and exercise plans are their business, but I know myself pretty well and obsessing about every detail wouldn't work for me. My fitness choices may not meet every (ever-changing) rule out there but as long as I get the results I want, I feel good, and I can keep it up for the long term that's good enough.

i find it fascinating that the rules constantly contradict each other....
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I stay within my calories, get an hour of exercise six days a week, and keep my protein up. That's it. College student lifestyle doesn't exactly allow for crazy diet routines.

I might be eating more tuna sandwiches and lean cuisines than anything, but you know what? If I feel like a slice of pizza, and it fits into my calories, I'm going to eat that slice of pizza. Rules be damned.

sounds pretty healthy to me - pizza included